shicome.exe

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 popsean

popsean

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:03 PM

Does anyone know what shicome.exe is for? It is in my startup file and I can't figure out if it is a necessary file. :scratchhead:

#2 mr bones

mr bones

• Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:50 PM

Right click the file, select Properties and look through the tabs. Does it give any hint as to the manufacturer or anything?

#3 popsean

popsean

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:18 PM

No, it has no useful info about the creator. The properties window only has a general properties tab.

#4 gaviman

gaviman

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 04:36 PM

Hello there
I also have SHICOME.EXE that is in my startup file, and I am also wondering what it is! As you have found, there is no info on it.
As the credit card that I use solely on the net has been 'Zapped' lately, it is making me suspicious.
Help please someone!

#5 BrainPicker

BrainPicker

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:59 PM

I have it also. Disabled it useing Start Cop V 1.1.0.0 from PC mag., 4/99 (which does not have trial limitations).

#6 justanotheruser

justanotheruser

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 11:30 AM

It appears that the sole purpose of shicome.exe is to provide unique icons for flash card readers. On my system, this file was installed by the atech card reader install program.

You should be able to confirm this by looking at the icons displayed by windows explorer or my computer. If you disable shicome.exe with startupcop or some other method those icons will revert to the stadard vanilla removable media icons. Disabling shicome does not affect the usability of the flash card reader, only the displayed icons.

Hope this helps.

#7 Padraik

Padraik

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 04:22 PM

I blundered onto this series of posts using Google to look up "shicome", since it was being loaded without my needing it. Seeing the above posts, I looked into using Start Cop. But, the user postings on the latest update (User Cop Pro) seemed so negative. So, I decided to look at other options.

Imagine my surprise when I "rediscovered" (truth is, I had ignored the fact) that Spybot had a feature built in to their advanced setup mode, to eliminate exactly the problem.

So, I selected Spybots advanced mode, went to the startup process folder, checked off shicome, and rebooted. The problem was gone.

I also checked off my biggest resource hogs - 7 Hewlett Packard startup files that began loading at startup after I installed their photo software. They disappeared too, and the usual shortcuts still worked to load the photo programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button