• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 jasper

jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 04:02 PM

I am curious how many of you are like me and spend most of their time on the comp browsing this site.
I seem to spend as much time as possible here now, but is it common thing or not?
If you are like me let us have a count up. :rofl:
Member of ASAP

#2 Gwyrox732

Gwyrox732

Gwy|is|here

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 04:06 PM

Lets put it this way: this site has increased my IQ but lowered my grades :p
Quote from Original CWS Article at SWI: "There could be other domains involved in the future." ... We've come a long way since then

Malware esan mala, ji mi disaman. SWI ji kikan ekster!

PM me if you know what that says. Whoever gets it right gets put here!
Bagman wins, good job!

#3 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:25 PM

I had 12,000 posts on the old board - addiction set in the day I found SWI, back in October 2002. :)

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#4 Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing

Donut Patron

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:40 PM

Lets put it this way: this site has increased my IQ but lowered my grades :p

Ptfff.... school :rofl:
Rights are never important until you don't have them.

#5 therock247uk

therock247uk

247fixes.com

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:58 PM

I spend most of My Internet time on here and on the #privacy chat room. I couldent live with out this site lol

#6 Mr. Swenk

Mr. Swenk

Co-Owner of TechnoFusionElite.com

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:13 PM

If this site were to disappear, I'd have nothing to do with my time. I usually go from one addiction to another. And seeing as my exams only take a total of 3 hours each about, I find myself on this site ALOT.
Useful Links
Cleaners
Ad-Aware CWShredder Hijack This!
Sasser virus Removal
Sasser Removal

Proudly Developped CWS Search in VB6 and VB7(.NET)

Co-Owner of TechnoFusionElite.com > Personal Domain

#7 smckillop

smckillop

Rockin' Apple of SWI

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:37 PM

If I'm not golfing, I'm on this board... Oh yeah, work falls in there somewhere too but I also browse around from there too!

There's nothing like a great group of people to share an interest with!
smckillop
He who has tasted a sour apple, will have the more relish for a sweet one.

If the information I have provided has been helpful, please consider Supporting SpywareInfo

#8 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:30 AM

I literally spend most of my waking day on this site in one location or another. If I'm not on it, I'm in transit and I can't be bothered to wardrive and check my posts between red lights.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#9 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:06 AM

....Hi, my name is wreck -- and I am an addict. ( ...everyone in unison: Hi wreck )

Posted Image
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight -- it's the size of the fight in the dog."

#10 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 10:37 AM

...everyone in unison: Hi wreck

Hi wreck. :p

Another addict here... I don't participate a lot (yet), but do read as much as possible.

This is one of the very few sites I frequent any more - and yes, I do spend a good deal of time here. :)

R. :wave:

Edited by rosso_acido, 03 June 2004 - 10:38 AM.

I am the iron anchor.

#11 jasper

jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 02:41 PM

:wave: HI WRECK :wave:
Member of ASAP

#12 simsfan

simsfan

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 03:29 PM

Another addict here... I don't participate a lot (yet), but do read as much as possible.

Me too! I'm here almost every day after school. Tomorrow's my last day! :D :D :weee:

#13 shellsworld

shellsworld

Humble Malware Fighter

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 04:11 PM

I, too, am addicted. I have to check the boards 3 times a day, even when I'm in the middle of a 3 day - 12 hour shift. Gotta keep up on the latest you know! My husband says I must be battling spyware in my sleep lately :hmmm: I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this "problem". Is there a "Spyware Fighters Anonymous" nearby? I'll join! LOL

#14 Gwyrox732

Gwyrox732

Gwy|is|here

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 04:53 PM

I would never join one of those! This is one of those healthy addictions, it pleases you, and you please people. Win-freakin-win, baby.
Quote from Original CWS Article at SWI: "There could be other domains involved in the future." ... We've come a long way since then

Malware esan mala, ji mi disaman. SWI ji kikan ekster!

PM me if you know what that says. Whoever gets it right gets put here!
Bagman wins, good job!

#15 brownda7

brownda7

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 01:08 AM

Hey!

So its not just me. I basically spend 90% of my web surfing here.

brownda

#16 Franrod

Franrod

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:07 AM

me too...BTW, I believe the 12 step program begins with CWShredder :ph34r:
Television..."a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs"

- Hunter Thompson

#17 Gruntfuttock

Gruntfuttock

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:20 PM

I AM NOT ADDICTED TO SWI

I can give it up any time I want to.....................................Honest

no really I can

:whistle: I`ll just read one more post ... but I can really give it up ANY TIME

no really :cool: :thumbsup: oh well maybe just ONE more??? :whistle: just to be sociable :D

#18 jasper

jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 05:29 PM

That is a good one Gruntfuttock :bounce:
this is interesting folks keep them coming.
Member of ASAP

#19 BenJD

BenJD

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 12:00 AM

Hi I'm Ben JD. Sure I've been lurkin' around this and other anti-malware boards like a real addict ever since my computer endured a 2-week-long Sasser smackdown. I am fed up with these viruses, spywares, and adwares that slow down my comp!!!! So after a long while reading this board I have now joined.

This is a well-run anti-spyware forum and I have decided I will learn everything I can about PC's, particularly about PC's running Windows XP Home and Professional Editions. I have XP Home and I am real ticked off about all the adware that was on my comp.
BenJD | The bunker

#20 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 05:31 AM

If you want to learn more about malware in general, may I suggest that you join the Boot Camp here?

See http://forums.spywar...hp?showtopic=34
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#21 Gruntfuttock

Gruntfuttock

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 06:17 AM

:D Thanks Jasper ( just one more log maybe?) :unsure: :unsure:

#22 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,252 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 06:42 AM

I agree with Dave38, if you are spending all that time here, you might as well learn to be a helper in Boot Camp... (for those of you that aren't already there...)... :D
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#23 jasper

jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 08:08 AM

Thank you for the suggestion Budfred. It is something I have been thinking about. What puts me off is that I dont know an awful lot about PC's, but more than some.
I am learning a lot from this site though, but when I look at peoples Hijack log file here, the first thing I think of is where do they start.
A month ago I had barely heard of Malware and I never had any idea how interesting it might be, or annoying.

On a different note, i never realized before I started this topic that there would appear to such a big age range in uses.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Member of ASAP

#24 shellsworld

shellsworld

Humble Malware Fighter

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 09:17 AM

Jasper, I have been surprised to find that some of our greatest assets to SWI are below the age of 18. It bodes well for our future that we have these great young people addicted to fighting spyware instead of the other things young people could get addicted to.

As far as joining boot camp, you don't have to know much about PCs. Just sign up for boot camp, spend your addiction time ( ;) ) reading through the many posts and pinned topics and just learn from watching. In time you will glance at a HJT log and be able to pick out some of the baddies without having to Google everything in the log. There is no time limit, so take your time and just study and watch everything unfold.

In my personal life, I use HJT to help others clean their PCs and I have used my knowledge from this site to help me with it. I can glance at most of these logs and know in a few minutes what the baddies are. However, it is a different thing to be able to have your hands on the PC and doing the fixes yourself, and being able to tell somebody else how to fix theirs. That's why I'm still a trainee instead of moving up yet. Until I learn how to tell people to fix theirs with their own fingers I don't feel worthy of moving up the ladder.

#25 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,252 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 12:57 PM

We have people that have come to Boot Camp with little more knowledge than how their computer was turned on until they got infected, came here for help and then hung around to learn more... We have people that have come to Boot Camp from running a computer support group for years who know how to program a tool in a matter of minutes... The range is huge and everyone proceeds at their own pace as shellsworld said...
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#26 jasper

jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 02:09 PM

Well you may have just talked me into it. I will do something about it shortly but it may not be until Monday (it is 8.05 pm here in England) and I have a charity event to get ready tonight for tomorrow.
Thank you for your input it is really good to have. I just wish I did not share this PC with my daughter, (the reason I found this site originally).
:cool:
Member of ASAP

#27 marimari

marimari

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 09:56 PM

So much interesting info. I had no idea what malwear or spywear was until a week ago when a friendly tech at earthlink told me I had a big bad problem on my hands. The man that built my computer refered me to this site and in a few short days I have spent a majority of my free time soaking up posts, following friendly advice, and trying to learn all I can. Boot camp huh...sounds like a new addicts dream come true. I have always liked flicking my nose at the bad guys... :weee:

#28 jasper

jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 06:56 AM

Thanks for replying Marimari.
I was the same as you except I did not have the patience to wait for a fix. However since then I have been hooked spending 80% of my time here. But last Sunday I was drawn in Hook Line and Sinker and have been caught completely. I joined the boot camp ----FASCINATING. I have spent the last week, 100% of my free time reading and digesting info.
It is great to get my brain working again after a period of stagnation. Boot camp is an addicts dream come true.

:wave:
Member of ASAP

#29 marimari

marimari

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 10:17 AM

Hey Jasper...I am excited. I have had a computer for about six years, but I have always had to rely on others when things have gone wrong. This can be really frustrating. Tech help can be unaffordable for many. I just love the fact that there are so many people here to help others and looking for nothing in return except a donation to defray costs, and if someone cannot afford that they still get the same help! How can you not throw your hat in the fray and learn what you can.

Like you said, time to get my brain working....yeah!

#30 jasper

jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 02:41 PM

My sentiments exactly

:bounce: :bounce:
Member of ASAP

#31 jasper

jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 04:15 PM

I am surprised that only about 20 people appear to be addicted I thought it would be a lot more.
:bounce:
Member of ASAP

#32 supernova

supernova

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 06:03 PM

Well you can count me in as addicted.

Discovered this site and within a week had installed allsorts of programs to prevent spyware, including firefox which is amazing by the way.

I now load this site with one tab so I can keep in check with the latest news, while browsing the rest of the internet with another :p

#33 guacamel

guacamel

SWI Junkie

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 07:42 PM

I'm addicted.

#34 hawksrus

hawksrus

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 06:26 AM

Definitely & positively addicted - info here keeps my 9x os clean. My first stop when surfing is always here.

Never too old too learn!

:D
Tony

"Nonviolence is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of destruction devised by the ingenuity of man."

Mohandas K. Gandhi
Oct 2, 1869 to Jan 30, 1948

#35 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:05 AM

Iím not addicted.
Canít be true.
No way I am addicted.
Not a chance in hell.
But just to be sure, Iíll check back here every 5 minutes.

-OhÖ.

Hello, Iím TrilobiteÖand Iím addicted.

What a perfect way to post my 100th post! :bounce:

Edited by Trilobite, 12 July 2004 - 10:06 AM.

#36 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,252 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:58 PM

Trilobite,

But it doesn't say you have 100 posts!! It says more than that.... :whistle: :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl:
Budfred

#37 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:53 AM

Trilobite,

But it doesn't say you have 100 posts!!  It says more than that....  :whistle:  :whistle:

:rofl:  :rofl:

OK, how aboutÖwhat a way to post my 200th post!

P.S. Iím still not addicted.
I only leave here when this place closes. :p :D

#38 SpywareDestroyer

SpywareDestroyer

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 01:07 PM

I here almost every day during the school holidays.

#39 macaroo

macaroo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 03:53 AM

I earn a big hunk of my income from cleaning up PC boxes. The knowledge I gain from this site translates to food on the table for me.

#40 DawsonV5

DawsonV5

The Lurvely

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 03:56 AM

Since I found this site I have never had work go faster for me :p I would literally say out of my 50 hr. work week that 35+ of the hours are spent here learning and looking at logs.

The addiction is starting to become scary like some of the online games I used to play hehe. Must be something they put in the water here :lol:

#41 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,252 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 06:14 PM

DawsonV5,

I hope your employers don't mind.... :eek: :eek:
Budfred

#42 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 03:57 AM

I'm here so often my browser's forgotten how to go anywhere else!

Btw, it's great to see so many people of all ages getting addicted to something as positive as this. One of my roles in the world is as an addiction counsellor, and after years of working with clients (of all ages) hell-bent and determined to destroy themselves I am uplifted by you all.

Respect. :D :D :D

That's not to say I'm not noticing some similarities here, as my shaking hand reaches for the mouse again. 'Just one more practise log, please, I'll get the money somehow!'
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#43 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 05:27 AM

Count me in too. :p

Visiting this site is the first thing I do as soon as I wake up and the last before going to bed (not to mention the numerous shorter visits during the day, whenever given the chance). Want any more proof of hopeless addiction? :lol:

R. :wave:
I am the iron anchor.

#44 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2004 - 01:27 PM

Me too. Every day(If possible) . Longest time away: A few hours.

Edited by anti-spyware freak, 03 August 2004 - 01:27 PM.

#45 DawsonV5

DawsonV5

The Lurvely

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:56 AM

DawsonV5,

I hope your employers don't mind.... :eek: :eek:

DawsonV5,

I hope your employers don't mind....  :eek:  :eek:

I usually work with 1 or 2 others and its graveyard. I basically monitor batch jobs on a mainframe which is really dull and boring. Good thing i have the internet!!! My boss is pretty relaxed and doesn't mind what we do as long as the work gets done :D

#46 Lee777

Lee777

Spyware Annihilator

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 04:04 PM

[SWI Addiction] This is one "bug" you DON'T want a cure for! :alien:
USEFUL LINKS:

>Spybot Search & Destroy
>CWShredder
>Symantec Security Check
>ZoneAlarm Firewall
>Windows Update

A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life. - Chinese Proverb

Don't learn the proper name for anything technical. We know exactly what you mean by "my thingy's outta whack".

#47 DawsonV5

DawsonV5

The Lurvely

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 01:02 AM

^^^^^ LOL :rofl:
Too funny!

#48 Shadoobie

Shadoobie

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 12:03 PM

Hello all,
CNM sent me to this forum to ask some questions about the people who fix logs around on the malware board. I have been infected by CWS for the past month and have been battling it privately since, but have just recently finally sought help on these boards.

I am also a freelance magazine writer and am currently writing about spyware removal and its inherent problems for a radio trade magazine (how spyware can affect the office environment, that sort of thing). What I'd like to know here in this thread is the kind of people who help fix the logs. I'm sure I'll be able to get detailed information on the bootcamp if/when I sign up to learn more, but I'm curious about WHO (not names and phone numbers, of course!) are the people who fix these logs. I mean, there are HUNDREDS of logs and THOUSANDS of different problems. No two logs are exactly the same. How do you guys fix these? And how do you have the time? None of you are paid for it, so you are doing it out the goodness of your generous hearts.

So, tell me more about this. Why and how do you do it?

shadoobie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button