• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
    • Budfred

UPDATE on Upgrade   02/07/2017

We were somewhat delayed on getting the upgrade done, but it looks like it will now be done in the next few days or possibly even later today.   There is one change coming with the new upgrade that may affect people when they log in. There will no longer be separate Usernames and Display Names. Your Display Name will now be the only name you have for the forum and, if you used your Username to log in, you will now need to use your Display Name. It is likely that everyone who visits after the upgrade will need to log in again, so please keep this in mind.   Update again - Feb 7 - We have completed the main part of the upgrade and we are working to tweak settings for the site.  It will probably take us a while, but we will eventually settle down to the way we want it.  In the meanwhile, your posts should be secure, but the look of the forum and some functions may change over time.
    • cnm

We backup daily at 9:00 PM Pacific Time   02/13/2017

You may notice the forum being unresponsive for a few minutes around 9:00 PM PST (11:00 PM CST, 5:00 AM GMT) while we back up the database.
    • cnm

Notifications blocked by Outlook.com, Hotmail, Live, etc   02/14/2017

Our notifications are blocked by those mail servers. If you have email address at Hotmail, Hotmail.uk, etc etc then you will not get notifications and need to manually check for new replies. We recommend Gmail.   The notifications won't even be in your Spam folder - they just go down a black hole.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jasper

Are You Addicted?

48 posts in this topic

I am curious how many of you are like me and spend most of their time on the comp browsing this site.

I seem to spend as much time as possible here now, but is it common thing or not?

If you are like me let us have a count up. :rofl:

I had 12,000 posts on the old board - addiction set in the day I found SWI, back in October 2002. :)

Lets put it this way: this site has increased my IQ but lowered my grades :p

Ptfff.... school :rofl:

I spend most of My Internet time on here and on the #privacy chat room. I couldent live with out this site lol

If this site were to disappear, I'd have nothing to do with my time. I usually go from one addiction to another. And seeing as my exams only take a total of 3 hours each about, I find myself on this site ALOT.

If I'm not golfing, I'm on this board... Oh yeah, work falls in there somewhere too but I also browse around from there too!

There's nothing like a great group of people to share an interest with!

I literally spend most of my waking day on this site in one location or another. If I'm not on it, I'm in transit and I can't be bothered to wardrive and check my posts between red lights.

....Hi, my name is wreck -- and I am an addict. ( ...everyone in unison: Hi wreck )

beerchug.gif

...everyone in unison: Hi wreck

Hi wreck. :p

Another addict here... I don't participate a lot (yet), but do read as much as possible.

This is one of the very few sites I frequent any more - and yes, I do spend a good deal of time here. :)

R. :wave:

Edited by rosso_acido

Another addict here... I don't participate a lot (yet), but do read as much as possible.

Me too! I'm here almost every day after school. Tomorrow's my last day! :D:D:weee:

I, too, am addicted. I have to check the boards 3 times a day, even when I'm in the middle of a 3 day - 12 hour shift. Gotta keep up on the latest you know! My husband says I must be battling spyware in my sleep lately :hmmm: I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this "problem". Is there a "Spyware Fighters Anonymous" nearby? I'll join! LOL

I would never join one of those! This is one of those healthy addictions, it pleases you, and you please people. Win-freakin-win, baby.

I AM NOT ADDICTED TO SWI

I can give it up any time I want to.....................................Honest

no really I can

:whistle: I`ll just read one more post ... but I can really give it up ANY TIME

no really :cool::thumbsup: oh well maybe just ONE more??? :whistle: just to be sociable :D

Hi I'm Ben JD. Sure I've been lurkin' around this and other anti-malware boards like a real addict ever since my computer endured a 2-week-long Sasser smackdown. I am fed up with these viruses, spywares, and adwares that slow down my comp!!!! So after a long while reading this board I have now joined.

This is a well-run anti-spyware forum and I have decided I will learn everything I can about PC's, particularly about PC's running Windows XP Home and Professional Editions. I have XP Home and I am real ticked off about all the adware that was on my comp.

:D Thanks Jasper ( just one more log maybe?) :unsure::unsure:

I agree with Dave38, if you are spending all that time here, you might as well learn to be a helper in Boot Camp... (for those of you that aren't already there...)... :D

Thank you for the suggestion Budfred. It is something I have been thinking about. What puts me off is that I dont know an awful lot about PC's, but more than some.

I am learning a lot from this site though, but when I look at peoples Hijack log file here, the first thing I think of is where do they start.

A month ago I had barely heard of Malware and I never had any idea how interesting it might be, or annoying.

On a different note, i never realized before I started this topic that there would appear to such a big age range in uses.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Jasper, I have been surprised to find that some of our greatest assets to SWI are below the age of 18. It bodes well for our future that we have these great young people addicted to fighting spyware instead of the other things young people could get addicted to.

As far as joining boot camp, you don't have to know much about PCs. Just sign up for boot camp, spend your addiction time ( ;) ) reading through the many posts and pinned topics and just learn from watching. In time you will glance at a HJT log and be able to pick out some of the baddies without having to Google everything in the log. There is no time limit, so take your time and just study and watch everything unfold.

In my personal life, I use HJT to help others clean their PCs and I have used my knowledge from this site to help me with it. I can glance at most of these logs and know in a few minutes what the baddies are. However, it is a different thing to be able to have your hands on the PC and doing the fixes yourself, and being able to tell somebody else how to fix theirs. That's why I'm still a trainee instead of moving up yet. Until I learn how to tell people to fix theirs with their own fingers I don't feel worthy of moving up the ladder.

We have people that have come to Boot Camp with little more knowledge than how their computer was turned on until they got infected, came here for help and then hung around to learn more... We have people that have come to Boot Camp from running a computer support group for years who know how to program a tool in a matter of minutes... The range is huge and everyone proceeds at their own pace as shellsworld said...

Well you may have just talked me into it. I will do something about it shortly but it may not be until Monday (it is 8.05 pm here in England) and I have a charity event to get ready tonight for tomorrow.

Thank you for your input it is really good to have. I just wish I did not share this PC with my daughter, (the reason I found this site originally).

:cool:

So much interesting info. I had no idea what malwear or spywear was until a week ago when a friendly tech at earthlink told me I had a big bad problem on my hands. The man that built my computer refered me to this site and in a few short days I have spent a majority of my free time soaking up posts, following friendly advice, and trying to learn all I can. Boot camp huh...sounds like a new addicts dream come true. I have always liked flicking my nose at the bad guys... :weee:

Thanks for replying Marimari.

I was the same as you except I did not have the patience to wait for a fix. However since then I have been hooked spending 80% of my time here. But last Sunday I was drawn in Hook Line and Sinker and have been caught completely. I joined the boot camp ----FASCINATING. I have spent the last week, 100% of my free time reading and digesting info.

It is great to get my brain working again after a period of stagnation. Boot camp is an addicts dream come true.

:wave:

Hey Jasper...I am excited. I have had a computer for about six years, but I have always had to rely on others when things have gone wrong. This can be really frustrating. Tech help can be unaffordable for many. I just love the fact that there are so many people here to help others and looking for nothing in return except a donation to defray costs, and if someone cannot afford that they still get the same help! How can you not throw your hat in the fray and learn what you can.

Like you said, time to get my brain working....yeah!

Well you can count me in as addicted.

Discovered this site and within a week had installed allsorts of programs to prevent spyware, including firefox which is amazing by the way.

I now load this site with one tab so I can keep in check with the latest news, while browsing the rest of the internet with another :p

I'm addicted.

Definitely & positively addicted - info here keeps my 9x os clean. My first stop when surfing is always here.

Never too old too learn!

:D

I’m not addicted.

Can’t be true.

No way I am addicted.

Not a chance in hell.

But just to be sure, I’ll check back here every 5 minutes.

-Oh….

Hello, I’m Trilobite…and I’m addicted.

What a perfect way to post my 100th post! :bounce:

Edited by Trilobite

Trilobite,

But it doesn't say you have 100 posts!! It says more than that.... :whistle::whistle:

:rofl::rofl:

Trilobite,

But it doesn't say you have 100 posts!!  It says more than that....  :whistle:  :whistle:

:rofl:  :rofl:

OK, how about…what a way to post my 200th post!

P.S. I’m still not addicted.

I only leave here when this place closes. :p:D

I earn a big hunk of my income from cleaning up PC boxes. The knowledge I gain from this site translates to food on the table for me.

Since I found this site I have never had work go faster for me :p I would literally say out of my 50 hr. work week that 35+ of the hours are spent here learning and looking at logs.

The addiction is starting to become scary like some of the online games I used to play hehe. Must be something they put in the water here :lol:

I'm here so often my browser's forgotten how to go anywhere else!

Btw, it's great to see so many people of all ages getting addicted to something as positive as this. One of my roles in the world is as an addiction counsellor, and after years of working with clients (of all ages) hell-bent and determined to destroy themselves I am uplifted by you all.

Respect. :D:D:D

That's not to say I'm not noticing some similarities here, as my shaking hand reaches for the mouse again. 'Just one more practise log, please, I'll get the money somehow!'

Count me in too. :p

Visiting this site is the first thing I do as soon as I wake up and the last before going to bed (not to mention the numerous shorter visits during the day, whenever given the chance). Want any more proof of hopeless addiction? :lol:

R. :wave:

Me too. Every day(If possible) . Longest time away: A few hours.

Edited by anti-spyware freak

DawsonV5,

I hope your employers don't mind.... :eek: :eek:

DawsonV5,

I hope your employers don't mind....  :eek:  :eek:

I usually work with 1 or 2 others and its graveyard. I basically monitor batch jobs on a mainframe which is really dull and boring. Good thing i have the internet!!! My boss is pretty relaxed and doesn't mind what we do as long as the work gets done :D

Hello all,

CNM sent me to this forum to ask some questions about the people who fix logs around on the malware board. I have been infected by CWS for the past month and have been battling it privately since, but have just recently finally sought help on these boards.

I am also a freelance magazine writer and am currently writing about spyware removal and its inherent problems for a radio trade magazine (how spyware can affect the office environment, that sort of thing). What I'd like to know here in this thread is the kind of people who help fix the logs. I'm sure I'll be able to get detailed information on the bootcamp if/when I sign up to learn more, but I'm curious about WHO (not names and phone numbers, of course!) are the people who fix these logs. I mean, there are HUNDREDS of logs and THOUSANDS of different problems. No two logs are exactly the same. How do you guys fix these? And how do you have the time? None of you are paid for it, so you are doing it out the goodness of your generous hearts.

So, tell me more about this. Why and how do you do it?

shadoobie