Anybody know what win386.swp is?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tag

tag

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:46 PM

so here's the problem i've been using spyware removals etc, and home page hijakers not a problem anymore and all cleaned up but something is stealing my bandwith i think. i download extremely slow (like dial up speed) on my dsl line well while thinking something may have installed itself i checked through the windows folder for most recently created/modified folders/programs and ran across this file: win386.swp. i couldn't find what the file extension is but its file size is huge, i mean it's 100mb currently and before last reboot it was only 66mb(10 minutes ago). not sure if it's some type of trojan/worm but none of my av software pick it up and neither do firewalls. i can't delete the program due to access denied in use etc. i start in msdos mode and still can't delete nor in safe mode. so if anybody knows what this file is or what it does or simply how i can delete it please let me know. that file is too big to be where it is. btw running win98se on this computer. of all my different os's on other computers this one gets it the worst.
thanks - Tag.

#2 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:21 PM

That is your virtual memory swap file. It's part of Windows.
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

#3 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 04:06 AM

The swap file is necessary, unless you have a boatload of physical memory installed (1024Mb & over), but can & should be deleted every once in a while, also as it can't be easily defragged.

Assuming you are running WinXP, click on Start, right-click on MyComputer, select properties, then hit the Advanced tab. In the performance section, hit the settings button, then the advanced tab. Now on the virtual memory section, hit the change button. On top is a list of drive/partition. As you click to highlight them, the info below will change. Make a note of which drive/partition shows a paging file, & its values.

To temporarly turn off paging file, which will delete it, just make sure all drives/partition are set on "no paging file". OK your way out of there & reboot.

When rebooted, go back there & reset a paging file, either as it were before, or tweak.
One school of thought is it should be set to twice the amount of physical memory you have installed. IE: You have 256Mb of memory installed, so set your virtual memory to 512 (min & max). Some say it is better to have a fixed size, as it can be ressource hungry for Windows to constantly adjust it.
Other school of thought is let Windows manage it, use the designated button for that.

Normally, you should have a paging file on only one drive/partition.
It is recommended to be on separate physical drive than OS, if applicable..

Edited by Doctor J, 05 June 2004 - 05:50 PM.

Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#4 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 12:26 PM

Actually it can be defragged. Splendid little tool PageDefrag

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button