10 replies to this topic

#1 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:45 PM

Hi

Has anyone noticed that the latest Pest Patrol updates erase KeyPatrol? I got the updates on June 2, 2004 and then noticed Part of Pest Patrol called KeyPatrol was no longer there. If you have Pest Patrol and got the updates you may want to check your version.

#2 spyware fighter

spyware fighter

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:09 PM

dear lonewolf,

I have also updated my Pest Patrol version yesterday, but I did not have any problems and KeyPatrol was not erased. I suggest that you contact their helpdesk for assistance!

Good luck! Hoping you will resolve this problem. If not, let me know... :cool:

:bounce:

#3 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:56 PM

Thanks for your response Spyware Fighter. What i did was restored Pest Patrol with Go-Back. So i have KeyPatrol back again. I'm just a bit worried that if i attempt the update again i may lose it again. I'll probably just wait a while and try it again later. But it looks like i'm not the only person with this problem. http://www.wildersse...ead.php?t=34801

#4 spyware fighter

spyware fighter

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 02:34 PM

Dear lonewolf,

I read messages on other forums and I think it is wise to wait for a while and try to update the software again, maybe within a few days. Hopefully they will fix the problem soon. I would notify their helpdesk anyways... :wtf:

Also try to temporarily disable some programs that might interfere with the update, in my experience unfortunately e.g. an antivirus program, but even any other software might cause trouble if it is constantly active :scratchhead:

Of course, reasons for such problems might be various. I did not have the problem with Pest Patrol so far...but I am a new user of the software.

Hope you will resolve the problem soon... :D

#5 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 08:13 PM

That sounds like good advice, Spyware Fighter for anyone who may have this problem with Pest Patrol. And that's exactly what i plan on doing. Here's another link that i found to more people with the same problem at Dslreports. http://www.dslreport...08015~mode=flat I too hope this problem is resolved and soon.

#6 mr bones

mr bones

• Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:22 PM

Pest Patrol are usually very quick to respond to user problems. Have you emailed them about this?

#7 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 06:29 PM

Well apparently here's what Pest Patrol said about the matter:

Keypatrol has been absorbed into the regular Pest Patrol scan and active protection portion of Pest Patrol. If keypatrol was set to be invoked on boot, then it will not be deleted. And they go on to say you should then manually delete Keypatrol.

I guess Pest Patrol is full of surprises these days. I just hope they are making improvements in Pest Patrol because going for almost 1 month without updates is not what i call a good product. I may just switch to something else if things don't improve fast.

#8 spyware fighter

spyware fighter

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 12:26 PM

I have read all comments on other forums about this issue. I also wonder why they have removed the KeyPatrol, it does not make much sense... At any rate, anyone dissatisfied about this should complain directly to the manufacturer and let them know that they have not made a good step...

Unfortunately, keyloggers are nowadays produced in such a large quantity (and they are commercial) that no anti-spyware software can detect all of them. That is the fact that we have to face...

The reason I like PestPatrol is that they have a very extensive database of all kinds of spyware and the detection is really good. I also have X-Cleaner and consider it to be excellent, especially in terms of prevention and some other solutions.

If you have not tried other similar products, maybe you should so that you can compare them. I only would not recommend anybody to install too many of them on one PC as they might interfere.
:bounce:

#9 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 05:37 PM

Actually Spyware Fighter here's some of the anti-spyware apps i am currently using.

1. SpywareBlaster

2. SpywareGuard

3. WinPatrol

4. Spysweeper

5. Ad-Aware

6. Spybot

7. X-Cleaner

8. Pest Patrol

9. Spycop

10. Bazooka spyware scanner

11. A Squared (i know it's an anti-trojan, but it does find some spyware)

This is just some of my arsenal against malware. Other programs i use like SSM aren't really called anti-spyware programs but they definitely help to keep things under control. I also avoid using IE/OE whenever possible and use Firefox as my main browser. So i think i have lessened my chances of getting alot of the junk out there on my system.

I would like to keep Pest Patrol. I do like the program. But it just seems like lately they have been screwing up quite a bit. Wouldn't you agree?

#10 spyware fighter

spyware fighter

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:34 AM

Well lonewolf,

what can I say... you are really well equipped!!!

Maybe I should start learning from you...

I have just changed my browser (yes, IE!) to Opera and Mozilla and I am very happy about it. :D I am even thinking of completely removing IE...

:evilgrin:

Well, I think people are making too much fuss about the keyloggers... Yes, it might be that PestPatrol is slightly lazy in updating their software, but I bought it two months ago, so I cannot really comment very much. Honestly! :wave:

Edited by spyware fighter, 08 June 2004 - 11:35 AM.

#11 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 07:25 PM

I doubt i can teach you much Spyware Fighter (if anything) more than you already know. But i will be glad to try if you ever have a question. There's so much to computers that it's mind boggling and no one knows it all. That's 'one' of the great things about this site different people come here with varying degrees of knowledge and we all end up learning something new.

Edited by lonewolf, 08 June 2004 - 07:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button