Viewpoint Media Player is NOT spyware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 die_spyware

die_spyware

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 03:02 PM

How many times are the so-called advisors here going to keep telling people who are experiencing problems that they should uninstall the viewpoint media player? In each thread I've read it's one of the first things suggested and the person with the problem always says "yes, done that, didn't help".

It's a media player just like Flash. Doesn't the fact that it's pre-installed on the top-10 manufacturer's PC's tell you something? Or that AIM and AOL and Compuserve and Netscape all install it alongside their products tell you something? Doesn't the track record of it having no adverse effects on anything ever tell you something?

Sit back and reevaluate and you'll realize that uninstalling it never actually helped because it's not spyware, malware or any other ware except soft.

This is their position on spyware:

http://www.viewpoint...commitment.html

No I don't work for them but I do manage a website that makes use of the viewpoint media player. For what it's worth, I sniff the capabilities of the visitors to my site for my statistics and over 60% of them have the viewpoint media player installed.

Is it now time to end the repeated advice to uninstall it for no reason other than initial ignorance of not knowing what it was some years back, to now just having a general mistrust of anything that you didn't put in a CD for and click on install yourself.

While you're at it, when you're next suggesting a popup blocker, tell them to try the viewpoint toolbar. It has the best popup blocker I've experienced, and the graphical search is brilliant. It makes google look like a POS.

#2 die_spyware

die_spyware

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 11:53 AM

Bump!

Doesn't anyone want to admit they were wrong and say they'll stop hounding the Viewpoint media player for no good reason?

#3 ViewpointHostage

ViewpointHostage

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 03:49 PM

Actually, regarding what is "Viewpoint Media Player" - I'm going to vote for Malware.

It appeared on my system without my knowledge or consent.

It just "automatically updated itself" (which I did allow out of curiosity)

And now it has taken over my search bar and acting to intercept and monitor all the websites my machine goes to... if that's not spyware, pray tell what is? And sense they ADMIT to doing this, I don't see how it can be argued that they are not spyware.

http://www.spywarein...pril-2003/2.php

""
What We Do with the Information We Collect
Much of the data sent by the Viewpoint Media Player is temporary data that is required only to enable a feature or service to be performed over the Internet. This data is discarded after its intended use is served. The information that we do store and track, we use in three ways:

+ To gather anonymous, aggregate statistical data to help us better understand the quality of our product and services and how they are used.
+ To provide our clients with information about how visitors to their sites use their content.
+ To provide services to help our clients enhance their products and presentation.

At no point is the CUID connected to a user's name, email address, or other personal contact information, nor will it be used in connection with the data provided to our clients.
""

So TODAY -even though you are tracked and monitored, at "no point" is user info connected to the CUID... -- what will they do TOMORROW ?? And if they change their policy, I'm sure I'll be properly informed... uh hu.... I'm un-installing next (wish me well)...

Edited by ViewpointHostage, 05 June 2004 - 03:51 PM.

#4 TangleWeb

TangleWeb

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 04:10 PM

die_spyware I hardly think this is the forum to voice your obviously biased opinion. I think ViewpointHostage answered your point very well. I sincerely hope the moderators of this very useful forum lock this thread.

The more I think about it, the more I think that you are trolling, especially in light of the phraseology of your "bump".

~Dave

Edited by TangleWeb, 05 June 2004 - 04:13 PM.

#5 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 04:23 PM

I think TangleWeb is correct.

This thread is now closed.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button