whenu weather program alternative

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 malikf

malikf

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:03 PM

My girlfriend won't remove whenu from her laptop because she loves having the outside temperature displayed in her taskbar. That weathercast is powered by whenu and won't work without that garbage software installed. She's even willing to put up with the "save" popups to have that feature.

What I really need is an adware/spyware free program that displays the outside temperature as the whenu parasite does. Then I could remove whenu from her laptop but still have the temperature displayed as she likes.

#2 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:32 PM

I recommend "WeatherWatcher." This is an excellent ad-ware free and spyware-free application. It will put the temperature in your system tray. It is free, but donations are very much welcomed. You do not even have to register it. It will update hourly.
http://www.singerscreations.com/

After considerable debate, I choose to use "Weatherbug". It is free, but you must choose a sponsor every month for a one day ad in the interface. It will update in real-time and is more local than "WeatherWatcher." Ad-Aware and Spybot used to identify it as spyware, but no longer do so.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight -- it's the size of the fight in the dog."

#3 Guest_skycom_*

Guest_skycom_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2004 - 08:51 PM

If you want a weather program freeware that gives you it all, COMPLETELY WITHOUT ATTACHMENTS, This One Deserves A Close Look!!!
WEATHER PULSE

Theres no way to be disappointed with this app. It replaced weatherbug for me eons ago.

#4 smckillop

smckillop

Rockin' Apple of SWI

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 09:25 PM

The weather channel also has Desktop Weather:

The Weather Channel

:wave:
smckillop
He who has tasted a sour apple, will have the more relish for a sweet one.

If the information I have provided has been helpful, please consider Supporting SpywareInfo

#5 malikf

malikf

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I started with the first one recommended - Weather Watcher by singer creations - and my girlfriend liked it so much that we kept it and didn't look any further. I was very happy to then rid her PC of whenu's weathercast, "save" and other garbage. Thanks again for all the recommendations. I've installed WeatherWatcher on my own PC too. It's great.

Edited by malikf, 09 June 2004 - 09:14 PM.

#6 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:16 PM

I'm glad you like WeatherWatcher! It is run by a super nice guy who strives to improve it all the time. They have a good forum if you ever have questions or need help. He gets his raw data from weather.com and is pretty light on resources.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight -- it's the size of the fight in the dog."

#7 Venkee

Venkee

Security Major

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 07:59 PM

I just downloaded weather watcher. I love it! Ill probably donate in the next few weeks when Im not as poor. I love to see spyware free alternatives :D

#8 Eremon

Eremon

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:46 PM

I just downloaded Weather Pulse, and I have to recommend this software if you are looking for an easy to use weather application packed with features. It's freeware(totally free!), and has absolutely no spyware included.

check it out @ http://www.tropicdesigns.net/

#9 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:07 AM

Unfortunately, I can't use Weather Watcher. Installing is no problem, but the update via weather.com is way to slow and blocks my internet surfing.
Nevertheless a good weather program, probably better than our guessing weatherman on Belgian TV.

Edited by ErikAlbert, 07 July 2004 - 06:35 AM.

ErikAlbert
Simplicity is always brilliant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button