Spyware Help

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:32 AM

hello,

incase you are also fighting against rouge antispyware software, have a look at

[url=spywaresignatures.com/guide.php/url]

This is the worlds most comprehensive database of spyware infomation available online.

Edited suspect link...

Edited by Budfred, 25 January 2007 - 08:08 AM.

#52 Spyware Help

Spyware Help

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:54 AM

Hello,

heres resource for you to have alook at details of spy hunter

SpyHunter
General Information:
Malware Name:
SpyHunter
Malware Type:
Rogue Security Program
Company Name: Enigma Software Group
Company URL: http://www.enigmasoftware.com/
Threat Level: Moderate Risk
Operating System: WIN XP
Installation Type: Installed through EXE
Operation: Time of After Installation.
Download URL: http://www3.enigmaso.../spyhunterS.exe

Company Description:
Enigma Software Group, Inc. ( Enigma ) (NASDAQ - OTC BB ENGM) is a Connecticut based developer of software and Internet-based systems. The company currently has 7 employees and develops and markets consumer products that enhance internet privacy; addressing issues such as Spyware, Adware, Phishing and Identity Theft over the Internet. Enigma is known mostly for SpyHunter, its Anti Spyware software. SpyHunter scans and removes Adware and Spyware, which can be placed on a computer without the owner's knowledge. SpyHunter is marketed exclusively over the internet and can be purchased for immediate download for $29.99. For an additional $14.95 a SpyHunter CD can also be purchased. SpyHunter's database is updated regularly and is a fully supported product.

Characteristics/Symptoms:

-> Removes spyware, adware, keyloggers, cookies, spyware registry keys, toolbars, internal popup programs, memory resident spyware
-> Remove spyware programs that may be slowing down your computer
-> Database of 500 spyware and adware threats
-> Free Updates when available for new spyware parasites
-> Rollback Capabilities, to undo the spyware you removed.
-> Easy to use interface, (designed to be as simple as a child's toy)
Processes Running:
SpyHunter.exe

File information Created after Installation
File Location Size (Bytes) Type
C:\Program Files\Enigma Software Group\SpyHunter\def.dat 209952 DAT File
C:\Program Files\Enigma Software Group\SpyHunter\EnigmaUpdater.dll 446464 Application Extension
C:\Program Files\Enigma Software Group\SpyHunter\esgi_md5h.dll 49152 Application Extension
C:\Program Files\Enigma Software Group\SpyHunter\Esgiutl1.dll 57344 Application Extension
C:\Program Files\Enigma Software Group\SpyHunter\exclusions.dat 0 DAT File

Completedetail are listed at

Suspect link removed.
This site gives you max information about any malware available online,

Have a look at lemme know....

there are several other rouge software listed here

Edited by Indrid_Cold, 26 January 2007 - 06:21 AM.

#53 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:19 AM

Here's the entry from the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

Enigma's SpyHunter anti-spyware application was listed on this page primarily because of the company's history of employing aggressive, deceptive advertising (1, 2, 3, 4, 5). The company was also known for exploiting the name "spybot" in its domain names and online advertising. These objectionable business practices were employed primarily from late-2002 to mid-2004.
Sometime during summer of 2004 the company halted the most obnoxious and objectionable aspects of its online advertising. It also unloaded all the "spybot" domains (which were promptly picked up by Paretologic for its XoftSpy anti-spyware application).

While there are still unresolved allegations that SpyHunter transmits the Windows Product ID from users' PCs (1), we can no longer classify this application as "rogue/suspect." Nonetheless, SpyHunter -- at least in its current state -- cannot be recommended because of its mediocre performance as an anti-spyware scanner. Testing indicates that it does not recognize some well-known spyware installations and has difficulty removing critical spyware/adware files even from those it does recognize (1). Given the many excellent competing anti-spyware applications that are available (some for free), users would do better looking elsewhere for trustworthy anti-spyware protection.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#54 whisky

whisky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:10 PM

Hi.

I accidently allowed an active x download in and now i have constant pop ups and messages on my system, can anyone help me remove these for good. I have been into programs and removed anti vermins but it still comes up hxxp://www.spywaredoctor-4002618.com

URL pooched, please don't post live links to possible malware sites
TheJoker

Hi everyone,
2 or 3 days ago, I came upon a great thread that listed false &/or damaging anti spyware applications (like Spyhunter). The list was growing steadily as people replied with additions to the list.

I have just spent over an hour looking for this thread, to no avail.
Can someone point me in the right direction?

TIA,
Dr J

The most current link to the Rogue page is here:
http://www.spywarewa...nti-spyware.htm
Swandog46

Edited by TheJoker, 04 February 2007 - 01:13 PM.

#55 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:15 PM

whisky, you need to post a topic for help in the Malware Removal forum, and you should read the FAQ.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#56 jdean

jdean

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:49 AM

The direct link:
http://www.spywarewa...nti-spyware.htm

I went to that rogue listing site but I'm not so sure about it. What's the deal with no trial version making companies bad? Is there another website that lists bad antispyware apps?

#57 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:05 PM

I went to that rogue listing site but I'm not so sure about it. What's the deal with no trial version making companies bad? Is there another website that lists bad antispyware apps?

Forcing you to pay to evaluate its malware removing ability is not a positive attribute in my opinion...

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#58 jdean

jdean

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:08 PM

Forcing you to pay to evaluate its malware removing ability is not a positive attribute in my opinion...

Yeah, I probably won't buy one that has no trial because I want to try it first. I'd still rather find a more professional review site. That one makes as much sense as saying everything at the food court in the mall is bad except for Chinese food places that give out samples. Any other sites that list bad spyware apps?

#59 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:18 PM

I'd still rather find a more professional review site. That one makes as much sense as saying everything at the food court in the mall is bad except for Chinese food places that give out samples. Any other sites that list bad spyware apps?[/quote]That analogy doesn't work because food is a necessity...

You said it yourself:
[quote]Yeah, I probably won't buy one that has no trial because I want to try it first.[/quote]Think that sums it up.

We've been using this list for years and it has never failed us. What's wrong with this one?

In addition, I don't know why anyone would be looking into other anti-malware applications... If you have MBAM alone, you are already in great shape.

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#60 jdean

jdean

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:56 PM

Actually, I'm looking for an app for my parents with good support. I don't really use any third party scanners after Vista so I looked for a spyware forum on google. I'll give MBAM a try on their pc.

I'm sticking to my point on the no free trial. BTW food court food is not a necessity :) My point was that there are plenty of products sold that do not have trials and no one thinks badly of them. Do any programs actually detect software for that reason?

#61 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,252 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:00 PM

Did you look at the criteria used to rate programs on that site?? They do not include not having a trial version... That may have been a comment made about one or more programs, but it is not the rating criteria specified on the site...

Look here for details on how the programs are rated:

http://www.spywarewa...yware.htm#notes
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#62 jdean

jdean

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:28 AM

I looked at the notes now and it sounds even worse. There are 4 programs on the rogue list for only having no free trial, so I look in the notes it says that none of those programs were even tested. That's crazy, I hope most companies follow a higher standard than that. I checked on Symantec's site and at least they don't detect those programs. I like how small MBAM is but I don't want to buy something from them if they follow those standards. Does MBAM have detections with reasons like that?

#63 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,252 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:31 PM

jdean,

I do not see how you are coming to your conclusions... The people that established and maintain that list have impeccable credentials and there is nothing comparable available... Other sites that purport to offer the same type of assessment are typically run by the rogue companies... I did a search for the term "free" on that page and found no reference to "free trials"... I searched for "trial" and found references to indicate that trial versions were not available, but that there were numerous other reasons to consider the programs dubious or rogue... Again, the criteria of assessment say nothing about ruling out programs based on the lack of "free trials"... If you are invested in not trusting this site, that is fine, but please do not post inaccurate accusations that might make others doubt the value of that site -- it has saved many people from being conned by criminals and it continues to be a very valuable resource...
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#64 jdean

jdean

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:15 AM

Here you go Budfred:

about:blank 2005 aboutblankremover.com no trial version available [A: 1-29-05 / U: 1-29-05]

AntivirusPCSuite antiviruspcsuite.com no trial version available [A: 5-4-07 / U: 5-4-07]

SpyBuster spy-buster.com
remove-spyware.com no trial version available [A: 12-26-06 / U: 12-26-06]

VirusGuard virusguard.com no trial version locatable [A: 2-3-06 / U: 2-3-06]

Testing: Testing was performed with most of these apps. Apps not tested include: 2004 Adware/Spyware Remover & Blocker, about:blank 2005, AdProtector, Adware Hunter, AdwarePro, Adware & Spyware Firewall, Elimiware, AntiVirusAdvance, AntivirusPCSuite, Anti Virus Pro, BestGuardPlatinum, InternetAntiSpy, KillAllSpyware, MicroAntivirus, Oxford Spyware Remover, NetSpyProtector, PAL Emergency Response, PCArmor, SpyBlast, SpyBuster, SpyDeleter, SpyEliminator, SpyKillerPro,SpyWiper, SpywareAvenger, Spyware Cleaner & Pop-Up Blocker, Spyware Destroyer, Spyware Immobilizer, Spyware Remover (alwaysfreealways.com), System Detective, Spy Sniper Pro, Spyware B1aster, Spyware Remover, Spyware Striker Pro, Spyware Suite 2005, The Web Shield, Titan AntiSpyware, VirusGuard, WinAntiSpy 2005, XSRemover.

Seriously, why should I trust a review that did not include testing a program or even attempt to give a good reason. I don't care how much I trust someone, if they gave me a reason like that I would have them give me a better reason.

I came here looking to find some straightforward information so I could buy a cheaper spyware cleaner. I have not found that here, so I'm going with Norton.

#65 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,252 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

Again, you seem to be drawing conclusions without a thorough reading of the site and the methods used... It was pointed out several times on the page that other versions of the same program were not thoroughly tested and that known rogue sites producing programs with another name were not necessarily reviewed again since they had already been established as rogue... There is NOTHING about rating a program as rogue because it doesn't have a free version -- there is reference to not being able to do a full evaluation on programs that did not provide a trial version... When those programs do not come from a source known to be rogue, the program is labeled as "dubious", not as rogue...

If you wish to use Norton, that is fine... If you did not find a better option here or on that site, it is only because you did not want to bother to look at what was actually posted and focused instead on what you thought is posted... Again, you can believe whatever you would like, but I will continue to reassure people that you are wrong and hopefully people will heed the guidance on that site to help avoid being robbed... You are posting negative conclusions about one of the best services on the Internet that has been a blessing for so many people without even bothering to do the investigation that would provide answers to the concerns you express...

If you believe you can do a better job of rating the programs, I suggest you undertake that effort...

Since you are clearly dissatisfied with the site, I suggest you ask them for a full refund of the fee you paid to access the information provided... I will even offer to return triple the fee that you paid... Let's see, that is 3 times 0 = ZERO... This is for a site that involves thousands of donated hours to create and maintain over a number of years... A site that receives no funds in exchange for their efforts, except for donations from grateful users... If you can find a site that offers any thing like the quality of those ratings and does so without burying you in ads or requiring some fee, I will be very impressed...
Budfred

#66 daveydoom

daveydoom

Sounding the crack of doom for malware

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:03 AM

I checked on Symantec's site and at least they don't detect those programs. I like how small MBAM is but I don't want to buy something from them if they follow those standards. Does MBAM have detections with reasons like that?

What does detection have to do with this?? Of course Symantec and MBAM may not detect those programs. The purpose of that list is to inform users of which programs they should avoid downloading and installing. They're not indicating that any or all of those programs listed would be detected by legitimate programs as being malware. See the below information I've quoted from that page:

What follows is the main list of "rogue/suspect" anti-spyware applications, none of which can be recommended for anti-spyware protection.

You're confusing things here :) .

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#67 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:28 PM

Hard Core Rogue Security Programs found so far in 2009

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button