Is there any point in reporting hijackers to ISP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vstrom

vstrom

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 07:53 AM

HI all. I am a new member and yes, I have read the FAQ. What prompted me to find you is that my friend has been hijacked by MYPOISKOVIK. I have read numerous post about this and have tried most of the suggestions and still it remains, however this post is about the possibility of reporting the site to either the ISP or the FBI. Is there any precedence to this type of action bearing fruit?

I have come across a set of excellent tracking/reporting programs, via Lockergnome, from www.visualware.com and their affiliates. With one of their products, I can find out who and where mypoiskovik operates from, in the US.

What I am asking is, can this information be used to stop this hijacker's operation, or is it a waste of effort.

Do any of these hijackers ever provide a remedy on removing the hijacking, or is that a foolish question? To my mind, if someone is spending every effort to NOT go to these scum's site, then clearly the hijcaker is not likely to actually benefit from the hijacking, is he? After all as the ultimate fix, I can always reformat my PC and reinstall everything. So MAYBE they can offer a removal, no? I think I read somewhere that LOP did this.

Anyway, I would like to learn from you guys, who are more experienced in this subject.

Thanks for reading...
-paul

#2 mr bones

mr bones

• Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:58 PM

Hi Paul

Unfortunately, it's not illegal to hijack someones browser or infect their PC in the majority of countries. Reporting will have little or no effect. Mike has suffered a massive DDoS attack at SWI and the FBI didn't want to know.

Some of the more 'professional' hijack or malware companies do provide links to uninstalling their software. Some are quite good at doing the job and others are pretty much just for show and do nothing. CoolWebSearch actually points to Merijn's CWShredder to remove their software.

Most users wouldn't trust a malware's uninstall file and would prefer to use other methods (Spybot S&D for example).

#3 vstrom

vstrom

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for replying. Too bad about the answer :(

I have a mypoiskovik hijack infection at a customer site. Where should I seek help? I searched this site for it and found heaps of posts, and I HAVE tried all the suggestions, but nothing worked.

Should I open a new thread for this, or append an existing thread?

Would it make sense for the administrators to create a separate forum group/area for each major threat or would this be too numerous and impractical?

Thinks: I will opena new thread just in case. But please advise best approach anyway.

Thanks.

#4 mr bones

mr bones

• Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 12:06 PM

Open a new topic in the Malware forums. It's a very busy site so you may have to bump it to the top every other day or so if no answer comes.

#5 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 04:40 AM

It's worth the effort to contact a hijacker's ISP. They may not give a damn or they may be appalled. All you lose is the time it takes to write the email to abuse@ISP
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

#6 jrobe

jrobe

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 07:37 PM

U.S. Representative Jay Inslee from Washington State has introduced legislation dealing with Spyware and other malicious programs. One thing you can do is contact his office and tell them you support his legislation and you will contact your local reresentatives and encourage them to support H.R. 4255.

For more info: http://www.house.gov...lee/spyware.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button