hard drive cleaning software?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gretchen

gretchen

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:08 AM

I'm by no means a computer genius, but I do know that my "deleted" files and info are still lurking. lol Is there a way to remove them without wiping out all of my good files? I'd also like to get rid of old cookies, etc. Call me paranoid, but I guess it just makes me kind of uncomfortable. Is there a program out there that will do this? I wouldn't mind paying for a really good program. :) Thanks!

#2 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:54 AM

A very nice freeware proggie I've been using for years on a variety of Windows versions (and recommending to whoever asks) is CleanUp!, which automatically detects what needs to be cleaned and leaves the "good" files alone. It also "shreds" deleted files so they can't be easily retrieved, and clears all Temp folders, typed URLs, recently visited links or opened documents etc. You can easily customise its security/privacy levels to suit your needs. :)

R. :wave:
I am the iron anchor.

#3 gretchen

gretchen

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:04 PM

:D Thanks so much for the suggestion! Ha ha, I loved the "toilet flush" sound effect. But then again, I'm easily amused. :p I didn't see a "shred" option so I'm assuming it automatically does that, right? Wow, it sure did get rid of A LOT of garbage. Thanks again!

#4 mr bones

mr bones

• Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:20 PM

Call me paranoid, but I guess it just makes me kind of uncomfortable.

Nah! Can't call you paranoid :p We already have a member by that name :whistle:

#5 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:42 PM

I didn't see a "shred" option so I'm assuming it automatically does that, right?

Yes, it does that automatically. :) It empties the recycle bin at Windows shutdown, which in fact means it overwrites the "deleted" data multiple times, so they can't be retrieved by "undelete" software.

I love the toilet flush too! :lol: I always switch the speakers on when running the prog just to hear that. :whistle:

Glad my suggestion helped.
I am the iron anchor.

#6 Allen in NM

Allen in NM

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 02:53 PM

Not disagreeing with you rosso-acido, but there is "fully erase files" check box under "options". At least in v3.1.2. Not sure what difference this makes, but it is there.

#7 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 05:39 PM

Yes, you are right. :thumbsup: The deleted files are overwritten anyway, but this option adds an extra layer of protection if checked.

Thanks for pointing this out.
I am the iron anchor.

#8 NAMOR

NAMOR

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:02 AM

I also use CleanUp along with Crap Cleaner and EasyCleaner

CCleaner
http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=4191

EasyCleaner
http://www.toniarts.com/

#9 marcloage

marcloage

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 04:33 PM

So if you use any of these programs to erasae files from your harddrive cant they ever be found? Im curious.

#10 marcloage

marcloage

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 04:33 PM

So if you use any of these programs to erasae files from your harddrive cant they ever be found? Im curious.

#11 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 06:35 PM

These cleaners will prevent you (or most other people) to recover the files you delete, but there is nothing you can do to prevent the F.B.I. or law enforcement from being able to recover ANYTHING on an erased hard-drive. It is difficult, but they CAN do it with highly technical methods!
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight -- it's the size of the fight in the dog."

#12 marcloage

marcloage

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 04:44 AM

My question has been answered. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button