about:blank

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 celia

celia

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:30 PM

I was hit about two weeks ago with spyware that has taken control of my internet explorer home page (the new page is about:blank). I get pop ups saying I have spyware on my computer & to click on the pop up to solve the problem. I have NOT done this!

In the meantime I realized my Norton software had expired, bought and upgrade but cannot activate it. I also cannot get hte Microsoft critical patch KB835732 to install. It alsways says extraction failed, file is corrupt.

So my Norton is about to stop altogether & my feeble attempts to solve this have been of no avail so far. This is a home computer so I don't have much time to solve the problem during the week.

I have read the FAQ, I have my hijack log ready.

I hope you can help! Thanks, Celia

#2 Guest_mobo_*

Guest_mobo_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:36 PM

Double post

#3 ALM100

ALM100

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:51 PM

I have ran Norton 2004 and got rid of some elements but I still have the bast**** showing up. This is one heck of though spy to get rid of.. There should be a law against such site ( Blank:search) to even exist. I have a free version of spysweeper which keeps prompting to see if I want to allow blank search as my home page. Adaware of other free spy dectect software dont do a thing. I ve tried them all.

#4 Guest_mobo_*

Guest_mobo_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:55 PM

I have ran Norton 2004 and got rid of some elements but I still have the bast**** showing up. This is one heck of though spy to get rid of.. There should be a law against such site ( Blank:search) to even exist. I have a free version of spysweeper which keeps prompting to see if I want to allow blank search as my home page. Adaware of other free spy dectect software dont do a thing. I ve tried them all.

Its always best to start your own thread and follow this as well :
Download CW Shredder:
http://www3.ns.sympa.../CWShredder.exe
Open and hit the ->fix tab to fix all found problems

CW Shredder takes advantage of security holes in windows so you should install all critical as well as hot fixes available from windows update.

Create a folder on your hard drive somewhere like in "My Documents" and name it Hijackthis
Download 'Hijack This to its own folder http://www3.ns.sympa.../HijackThis.exe
Doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log, load it in Notepad, and copy its contents here. Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

[COLOR=red]

#5 danbelina

danbelina

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 10:18 PM

I've found the nasty.

I'm running win98

There was a .dll called opdhf in windows/system

As it was in use, I couldn't just delete it, so I booted up in dos-mode and blatted it (that felt sooooooo good). You don't know me from a bar of soap, so rename it rather than just delete it...

I saved a copy of the .dll as a .txt file, so if people want it I'll send it.

I have access to my homepage again Yay!

Just in case anyone is curious, the popup that states "theres a 99% chance that your infected" - it had a number of different messages along those lines, the website was http://vn.msie.tv - I managed to capture the screen for that brief instant as it was connecting and got the url.

I actually liked one of the popups... http://vn.msie.tv/popup14.php?pin=56 the ants doing they're thing was amusing (the first time it popped up).

I don't know what use the url is to people, but if i was the sort of person to spam (I'm dead against it myself), I'd be hammering these people to get my own back. If there was any chance of legal action, it would be great!

Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button