Ways 2 prevent big dumps of mal/spyware on comp.?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thelonius

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 02:43 AM

Does anyone happen to know of any programs or any measures of keeping spyware and malware off of the computer? It's really starting to drive me crazy. Ad-aware doesn't do enough. I had to reinstall Windows for the second time the other day onto my computer. At one point, I used Ad-aware and it found 20 something objects on the computer, and then a few minutes later when I was having problems changing web pages, I ran ad-aware again and I had 332 objects. I deleted them, and then it screwed up like before, and so I quickly reinstalled Windows again. Even right now I have my task manager open just to make sure my processes don't go above 34. I also use hijackthis which is helpful along with ad-aware. But, there has to be some measures taken from getting 300 objects dumped onto my computer at one time. Any help out there? Thanks.

#2 Noone

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 02:45 AM

Try SpywareBlaster. http://www.javacools...areblaster.html

#3 Scoff

SWI Junkie

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 06:04 AM

IE-SPYAD puts over 4000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.

If you don't have an up to date hosts file it might be a good idea to replace it with a new one. This will help you block bad sites and ad servers. In windows explorer go to C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Etc, locate the file called hosts (no file extension) and rename it to hosts.old. Then download MVPS hosts file and extract it to the exact same location.

It may be worth reading How did I get infected in the first place?

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

#4 thelonius

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for your advice. It's very much appreciated. Just out of curiousity, do y'all know of any websites or anything that talk about the origins of spyware and pop-ups and all of that?

#5 kend1606

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 09:44 AM

You might want to look at the PDF at:

We regularly share this with clients that always want to know more about the infestations that attack their systems.

#6 Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:37 PM

Spybot S&D - with tea timer
Hosts files

Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button