Newbie creates a mess . . .

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nik_marquise

nik_marquise

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 12:11 PM

It is difficult to even know where to begin, but i will try.

Basically, after having lent my laptop to my sister for 10 days i noticed she had accumalated lots of spyware and potential viruses. Therefore, i got and ran two programs on my sytem: adware6 and AVG 7.0 antivirus. While i was halfway satisfied with the results i also downloaded Bazooka Spyware Scanner, and i began removing some of the nastier spyware manually. Still not totally satisfied i downloaded the ever powerful Hijackthis program. Having built confidence with the other programs i arrogantly SCANNED and the DELETED files at my own discretion. BIG MISTAKE.

My laptop now does not even connect to the internet properly. I made a true mess of things. Basically, i would like some help and/or advice on what on earth i should do. The other pertinent information i can give is that upon restart i have a bunch on BACKUP files on my desktop. I hope i can salvage my system, please help!

I thank all of you in advance and hope i have given you a funny newbie story of exactly "what-not-to-do"!!

#2 patmian212

patmian212

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 01:26 PM

That really sucks man . . . .i am sorry!! :weee:
But if anyone can help, i am sure this is the place to find them.

Goodluck

fred

#3 nik_marquise

nik_marquise

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 02:25 PM

I sure hope so . . . .

I am even prepared to pay for a consultation. I really really need help. Any kind of help is appreciated.

How on earth do i restore those files???

#4 patmian212

patmian212

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:50 PM

I think your title isnt getting you any hit so your getting no answers.

:(

#5 nik_marquise

nik_marquise

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 06:39 PM

help help help . . . . please!

#6 NonSuch

NonSuch

Spyware Eradicator!

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:22 AM

nik_marquise,

This is why we tell people to put HijackThis into a folder of its own, and not to delete things without having them checked first. :p But I think you've already figured that out.

No guarantees, but try this:

I'm assuming that HijackThis is on your Desktop and not in a folder. That's why the backup files are scattered all over your Desktop.

Right click on an empty spot on the Desktop, select "New," select "Folder." Give the new folder a name, like HijackThis or HJT.

Now, with your left mouse button, drag HijackThis into its new folder. Then do the same thing with each and every backup HJT backup file on your Desktop, until you have them all in the same folder with HijackThis.

Double click to open the folder. Double click on HijackThis to open the program. Select the "Config" button on the lower right-hand side of the screen. Now select the button marked "Backups" at the top of the next screen.

With any kind of luck, a list of the backup files will appear and you will be able to restore them.

If that fails, and if you're using Windows XP or Win ME, there's always system restore to try. Hopefully, the backups will work.

Good luck to you. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button