Prorat removed..PC shuts down...dead

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hooverjo

hooverjo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 10:30 AM

My daughter downloaded MP3 files from Morpheus and caught the Prorat virus on her PC. I used the methods from this site to delete the offending files two weeks ago. Yesterday, the computer shut down. When I try to turn it on, the fans run for a second and then nothing! No hard drive function.

Is it possible for a virus to leave a time bomb that disables a PC? Or am I just looking for hardware problems?

BTW...for some reason I could not post the topic in PC Troubleshooting.

Running XP on a home-made PC.

#2 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 03:38 PM

While it is possible for a virus to so this, I think that a hardware problem is more likely.

You say that the fans run for a second. Does this include the processor fan? If this has failed, the processor will shut down in self defenceagainst overheating.

I will move this to Pc Troubleshooting.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#3 hooverjo

hooverjo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the reply. I pulled the PSU to test it on another PC. First, I shorted it using a 2" wire and the fan moved. So, I will re-install the PSU and see if I can make the vent/CPU fans move. [a few minutes pass]

The CPU fan turns 2-3 RPMs and stops! FYI, I blew lots of dust out of the box, including dust wedged into the heat sink. My daughter leaves the PC on all day and it was warm in her room at the time of first shut down.

Edited by hooverjo, 08 June 2004 - 07:32 PM.

#4 hooverjo

hooverjo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 09:41 AM

I tested the PSU...it is working. I replaced the CMOS battery and replaced the CPU. No POST, same problems. So, I have ordered a new MB and will see if it works. Luckily, I will be building a new PC for my son this summer.

Would a virus in the BIOS do this?

Edited by hooverjo, 15 June 2004 - 09:56 AM.

#5 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:23 PM

Would a virus in the BIOS do this?

It is possible, but very very unlikely. A coincidental hadware failure is more probable, especially as you say the machine had collected lots of dust.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button