why don't some of our...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rodeo360

rodeo360

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:31 AM

talented haxxors out there hunt down the coolwebsearch people and make them sorry they were ever born?

#2 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:33 AM

Although the thought must cross many a mind ... Not really the appropriate forum for those sentiments :)

#3 rodeo360

rodeo360

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:37 AM

:p PG I wasn't advocating killing their pets or anything....

maybe just giving them an upper decker in the master bath.

anyways...I can't shake them. No matter what I try, I reboot and my homepage is hijacked...and most places I go redirect to them.

Then they taunt you by trying to "help" you with spyware.

outrageous.

#4 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:37 AM

Moved to Open forum.

rodeo360, SpywareInfo doesn't promote or endorse anything illegal against anyone, not even against CWS.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#5 rodeo360

rodeo360

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:41 AM

sorry. I was just daydreaming out loud again

you can kill the thread to save room.

#6 discogail

discogail

"All you need is a gorilla and a dream"

• Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:29 AM

rodeo360........the best thing to do is "batten down the hatches"..& improve your own security......
this might help-->
Stop IE hijacking before it happens

#7 gobolts

gobolts

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 07:10 AM

thething is, all this spy and ad junk cramming the net, and esp. CWS, is creating a boon for the AV business. i wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a connection there.
it seems that no one is profiting directly from CWS, except the AV's in an indirect way. perhaps i'm wrong on that, but if there are folks profiting directly from CWS, one would think they would be facing legal rams.
(tuxedo jack tried to explain this to me, but i still don't really get it- the way i see it prosecuting the "puppets" would be a great first step :scratchhead: )

#8 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 09:34 AM

CWS is profiting from it. They get money from their affiliates, and the affiliates get money for the clicks to their sites. Chances are they make more money than the AVs do.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#9 Moore

Moore

¤ §LÁYER ¤

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 02:41 PM

CWS is profiting from it.  They get money from their affiliates, and the affiliates get money for the clicks to their sites.  Chances are they make more money than the AVs do.

They sure go to extreme lengths to trick people into clicking on their links , this is from one of the XosftSpy [ Spybot S&D rippoff :thumbsdown: ] affiliate program pages ;

Xostspy now detected by Ad-Aware: :thumbsup:
http://www.lavasoftu.../20040528.shtml

Welcome to our affiliate program.
We provide industry leading products with the highest conversion rates in our field.  We will reward you well for your efforts. You will earn a 50% commission on every XoftSpy sale. Your referrals are tracked and you will be credited whether a sale takes place now or 90 days later. 

Who pays me?
An independent company called Clickbank handles the sales processing and payment to affiliates.  They are the leader in digital information affiliation and credit card processing.  To join this affiliate program you will need to sign up with ClickbBank -- this is free to do. Click here to sign-up. 

When do I get paid?
Clickbank sends out checks twice a month. You can also log in and view real time stats.

Edited by Moore, 10 June 2004 - 02:44 PM.

#10 Beasley

Beasley

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 04:45 PM

Somehow, whenever anyone launches a denial-of-service attack against somebody like Microsoft, HP or Sun, the Feds and big AV's get all up-in-arms and vow to get to the bottom of the problem. Sometimes they do, but it's because some 16-year-old in Holland can't keep his mouth shut, not because the authorities are such great cyber-sleuths.

On the other hand, when CWS, AdGoblin, or some other low-life launches what amounts to a denial-of-service on my little computer, there is no outcry from Congress or the Pentagon. It took years to get them off their butts to do something about Spam, but to me this is a far worse situation. There's an election coming up, and maybe we should be out raising public awareness and saying thinks like "I hate Spyware, and I vote!"

Hey, does anybody vote anymore?

#11 jrobe

jrobe

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 12:57 AM

Contact your local representatives about spyware. Jay Inslee from Washinton State has introduced H.R. 4255, to curtail Spyware and other malicious programs. Contact his office and tell him you support his legislation and you will contact your local rep's to encourage them to support H.R. 4255.

http://www.house.gov...lee/spyware.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button