Photo

Windows Critical Security Update (June 8)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:35 PM

*Microsoft Windows Critical Security Update: Issued June 8th,2004*

"A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to cause DirectX, or applications using DirectX, to become unresponsive. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft."

Users should run "Windows Update" ASAP to download the secuirty update.

For more information see here

To run Windows Update click this link

:thumbsup:

#2 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 04:36 PM

Quoted from the M$ relevant page:

The Microsoft Windows security update for June 2004 addresses newly discovered issues in DirectPlay, a networking application programming interface. If you have any of the listed software installed on your computer, you should visit the Windows Update Web site to install this update.

Um... Just visited Windows Update from both my PCs, both with DirectX 9.0b installed on XP SP1 and 98 SE, and no new critical updates appeared on the list. :eek:

I'm pretty sure I didn't run WU very recently, as I was away for a few days with no PC or Internet access. Maybe this particular update concerns networked systems exclusively? Anyone else experiencing this? :wtf:

R. :scratchhead:

Edited by rosso_acido, 11 June 2004 - 04:38 PM.

I am the iron anchor.

#3 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 07:18 PM

Maybe, I beleive my work comp (w2000) did find & install it.

Edited by Doctor J, 11 June 2004 - 07:20 PM.

Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#4 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 07:49 PM

Hmm. I just downloaded the update manually and attempted to install it on my XP machine, but it said the installation wouldn't proceed because one or more criteria couldn't be met or something (could that be because my PC isn't part of a network? It's the most reasonable explanation I can think of at the moment).

As for the 98 machine, the security bulletin clarifies that Win 98, 98 SE & ME are NOT affected by the vulnerability issue addressed by this patch.

Which might explain in part why WU doesn't find this update on either machine. :scratchhead:

R. :wave:
I am the iron anchor.

#5 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 04:19 AM

Hi Rosso,
thought you'd want to know, I have XP-Pro here & just spotted the Windoze update in my add remove list of program. Having tinkered (heavily) with Services.msc, I do know 2 of them are crucial in getting M$ updates to properly install.
Cryptographic & Windows Installer services need to be set on automatic & started, before attempting to install. Once they are installed, both of those services can be stopped, & their startup type set to disabled.

Of course, you also must use IE (for the M$ updates anyway).

:wave:

#6 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:04 PM

Doctor J,

Thank you, thank you. :thumbsup: I too spent all morning tinkering with things on the PC (there was an electricity failure the other day which caused some problems, and I had to reinstall a couple progs) and your input combined with some more info I gathered from here and there finally gave me the solution. I re-registered a number of files via the command prompt (among which the Cryptographic service), and voila! Everything seems to be shipshape now. :)

Thanks a lot again!
Rosso :wave:
I am the iron anchor.

#7 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:11 AM

Glad I could help you help yourself... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button