152 replies to this topic

#1 Mere_Mortal

Mere_Mortal

Spy-Aware

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 05:30 AM

Since the message board has been relocated, as explained [here], many trainee/helpers and Moderators may be in the process of re-registering their accounts, which may in consequence delay a response to messages being posted. Please have patience whilst this occurs.

Whilst the relocation is no longer an issue, some users may still witness unanswered requests for help.

If you believe this is your case, please review this notice

Edited by Mere_Mortal, 24 June 2004 - 07:50 AM.

#2 GemGoddess

GemGoddess

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 05:06 PM

Is this still a concern? The delay I mean? Not sure what the typical turn-around time is for a question...

#3 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 09:45 PM

The turn around time varies tremendously from post to post... It depends on how many volunteers are around, what their skills are and what the problems in the log are. We try to get to them all promptly, but it isn't always possible to do so. As a general guideline, if no one has responded to your thread for 12 hours, it is appropriate to post a reply that says "BUMP" which will bring it to the top of the list again.... You could also post more detail about the problem, especially if you didn't in the first post....
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#4 GemGoddess

GemGoddess

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 01:12 AM

Thanks Budfred, I've posted hijack this log and followed ALL the rules, but my wait is now at six days... mostly just wondering if this is normal, or if I did something wrong...and trying not to annoy anyone. ;)

#5 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 01:55 AM

No, unfortunately a six day wait is not all that unusual. We are training new spyware fighters all the time and we have a lot of dedicated volunteers, but it only takes one scumsucker dedicated to making money by harassing other people to produce spyware, a trojan, hijacker or other malware that infects thousands of computers in a few hours... We just have a tough time keeping up.... Just bump your thread occasionally and hopefully someone will get to your case soon....
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#6 GemGoddess

GemGoddess

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 02:42 AM

Will do, thanks! And keep up the good work. It is much appreciated.

#7 Mere_Mortal

Mere_Mortal

Spy-Aware

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 06:33 AM

Welcome, GemGoddess :)

Hopefully, most previous volunteers have already re-registered by now.

However, posts always manage to get left behind due to the amount of problems that are present on the Internet. Your patience and support is appreciated.

#8 marcmeier

marcmeier

Fully Confused Member

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:09 PM

Hi there

I'm bearing up at the moment, but I've got a 12-day delay so far (posted 23rd May).

Is this unusual?

Thanks for the service provided (it's sorted me out before!).

Cheers

#9 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 07:34 PM

Indeed that is MUCH too long, marcmeier. I have replied to your thread: http://www.spywarein...indpost&p=18156

Thanks for bearing up so long.
:wave:

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#10 rlanders

rlanders

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 12:20 PM

Curious- why do some posts get immediate attention and others get nothing?

#11 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 09:27 PM

Some of it is luck of the draw... Some of it is that some problems are harder than a lot of our volunteers can handle, so it waits until one of the more expert people have time to get to it, some of it is that some problems are new enough that the fix is still being developed and usually only one or two problems are addressed during that phase of development and there are probably a number of other reasons.... As has been said before... We have a couple of dozen qualified volunteers, a few hundred people each day asking for help and scumbucket scumware writers who are paid very good money to wreak havoc on the rest of the world trying to trick us every day... What is amazing is that we usually get to nearly everyone's log eventually....
Budfred

#12 pokerpete78

pokerpete78

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 09:42 PM

I am on my 13th day of waiting as well. I replied with "bump" as my reply and got a few more views but have yet to get any help. I'm starting to wonder if my description of my problem is confusing. Should I re-post or just wait a while longer?

#13 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:02 PM

No! Always stick to just one thread. I'm looking at your post now..

Getting started with help: http://www.spywarein...iew=getlastpost

Very sorry you had to wait so long...

UNITE

#14 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 01:05 AM

I am trying to handle as many logs as possible in a day but unfortunately - It is overwhelming as far too many are coming in. We do sincerely apologize if any of you have had to wait for a long time - Very frustrating, I know.

#15 bluestars716

bluestars716

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 10:26 PM

I was wondering what the expected wait time is right now? I'm on my 4th day and I wasn't sure if I should keep trying things on my own or wait for you to take a look at my log? I have been updating my log on my post each time I try a few things. I know you are really busy right now but I just didn't want to mess anything else up. I really appreciate the time you all take to help us out with these things. Thanks alot. :o)

#16 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 10:49 PM

bluestars716 - There are far too many calls coming in each day - Our apologies - I will give you a hand on This log

#17 rissa

rissa

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 12:48 AM

hey this is rissa i posted just today and i was gonna post here saying i waited a long time because ive been sitting here for hours, but i guess now it doesnt seem so long! but i was wondering why there are so many people look but dont post or i think it would even be nice if they posted that they couldnt help me,just so i knew that people were trying! but sorry to bother you guys, keep up the good work, this is a very nice thing to do! also when the well ill call them pros lol look at the posts do they look at the top of the list first or do they check which ones they can help? well thank you for your time! :thumbsup:

#18 Fireflyer

Fireflyer

Spyware Scorcher

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:48 AM

rissa,

I think most of the people who look but don't post are other members like you.

As a Helper, I tend to look first for posts with 0 responses so it's actually better that people don't post that they can't help. Posts with 1 or 2 responses may have a Helper on the scene - or they may not. A post with 0 responses definitely doesn't.

As far as the "Experts" go, we do have them, but we're not all experts - I just got the promotion from Trainee to Helper last Thursday - I know a lot more than most folks asking for help do, but I've got a good way to go before I'm an expert!

I tend to look first for the oldest posts with no responses - then I look for problems I'm pretty sure I know how to solve. I figure it's better if I help 10 people get cured rather than spend that same amount of time working on one difficult log.

The experts who can handle the complex problems will be along - no one goes without help if they're patient. But expecting help within a few hours is unrealistic.

Remember, we're all unpaid volunters and we are greatly outnumbered by those that need assistance!
How did I get infected in the first place?
Online Virus and Trojan Scanners
Panda Software . . . Trend Micro . . . Bitdefender . . . Sygate Trojan Scan . . . Trojan Scan
Tools for Fighting Spyware
Spybot S & D . . . Ad-aware . . . CWShredder . . . HijackThis . . . PeperFix
Tools for Prevention
SpywareBlaster . . . SpywareGuard . . . IE-Spyad . . . avast! Free Anti-Virus . . . AVG Free Anti-Virus
Zone Alarm Free Firewall . . . Kerio Personal Firewall
Help support this site! Click here to learn how.

#19 aw202

aw202

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:04 AM

DOH! I wish i knew that you gals/guys started helping those with 0 responses first! I've been bumping my messages. No wonder I've been passed over. Is there a way to erase my bump replies so it looks like I have zero replies again?

Edited by aw202, 14 June 2004 - 09:06 AM.

#20 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:52 AM

Don't worry, aw202. When we see that the last reply is by the thread starter we suspect a bump and have a look. Bumping more than once a day is certainly counterproductive, though.

UNITE

#21 bananafran

bananafran

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:08 AM

I'm trying to be patient but I've not had any replies since posting on June 1. I have seen an increase in spyware attacks, so you all must be very busy. I keep bumping..
Thanks---still waiting.

#22 rissa

rissa

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:58 AM

fireflyer- please check out my post:

http://www.spywarein...?showtopic=6660

if you would like to know more let me know i am pretty positive that i know how these got on there! p.s. anyone else can look too, not just fireflyer! thanx a bunch!

#23 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 12:28 PM

Already on it Rissa...

#24 Kristy

Kristy

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 02:47 AM

I'm still waiting for a response to my problem, but I'm actually enjoying the banter in the mean time. You guys are like the modern ghost busters or something! It is way too soon to be asking this, since I'm stuck with a sick computer that I don't know how to fix and I'm thinking of killing it by death through brick, but how do you become a volunteer? Do you guys train new people?

Cheers Kristy

#25 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 09:04 AM

Hi Kristy, See The Boot Camp here. :wave:

UNITE

#26 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 09:28 AM

Kristy - I'll give you a hand with your log.

#27 deathguy13

deathguy13

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:38 AM

I've also been waiting to have my log looked at and I haven't gotten a single reply. I know you guys are busy, but it seems like my problem keeps getting worse, so I'd really like to get it checked out soon. If anyone can check it out, I'd appreciate it. Other than that, keep up the good work, this site is a great way for people to get help.

My Log

#28 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:47 AM

Deathguy13 - Your current log is less than 1 day old but I have noticed that you keep opening new logs? This is perhaps why your case has not been addressed. Please post replies, additions etc into the existing log, DO NOT open a new log.

#29 Kiloheavy

Kiloheavy

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:53 PM

Hey folks--really admire the efforts you're making here. I've got a log pendingas well, but while waiting for a reply I'm *definitely* going to check out the bootcamp link above. I'd love to be able to contribute to the effort--especially considering the incidence of malware infection seems to be on the rise.

Thanks again.

#30 Kristy

Kristy

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:02 AM

Thanks Cnm for the link - I'm signing up now!

Even bigger thankyou PGPhantom, I'm just following your instructions now. I really appreciate you taking time out to help me - thanks!

Cheers Kristy

#31 rich001

rich001

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:42 AM

How can i get my post replied to? I have waited over 10 days and have re-sent the entries twice but nobody seems to reply. A few people apparently read it but no responses. It seems like I will never get answered - what can i do so that my post gets replied to??

Thanks and I appreciate the good work you guys do and how busy you are, it's just some people get their posts answered instantaneously

#32 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:36 AM

Rich001 - I have merged your topics all together here - Please stick to one topic, press "Add Reply" to the message and NOT "New Topic." I will give you a hand.

#33 Ladyrider

Ladyrider

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 04:59 PM

Hi, I'm afraid I may have posted wrong. My first post was on the 16th, and today (18th) I followed the directions by PGPhantom, Requests Unanswered after 2 Days - However, in my reply at the bottom of the page, I didn't get a URL when I clicked on the date, just the date and time. Now my posts have a blue envelope with a small dot in the center. What does this mean?

Thanks for all the help and dedication to these problems.

#34 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 05:41 PM

I am not sure what you are talking about with the directions followed, but I can tell you that the blue envelope with the dot in it simply means that you posted in that thread... If you look at the listing for this thread, you will see a dot here too, because you posted here....
Budfred

#35 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 08:08 PM

Ladyride - You posted your log in the pinned topic - I have split it off into a new thread which is why it has gone unanswered. I will search for any other posts and merge them. Please follow the directions to make it easier.

#36 bpiela

bpiela

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 07:40 AM

No, unfortunately a six day wait is not all that unusual. We are training new spyware fighters all the time and we have a lot of dedicated volunteers, but it only takes one scumsucker dedicated to making money by harassing other people to produce spyware, a trojan, hijacker or other malware that infects thousands of computers in a few hours... We just have a tough time keeping up.... Just bump your thread occasionally and hopefully someone will get to your case soon....

Budfred,

You posted stating that you are training new spyware fighters all of the time. I am very much interested in learning more about becoming a spyware fighter and volunteering time to help others. Who do I speak to to start the ball rolling?

Thanks

#37 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 09:52 AM

If you would like to join in our war and assist, become a "Helper Trainee" by clicking on this link and responding to the message.

#38 Ladyrider

Ladyrider

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 02:09 PM

PGPhantom, thank you for merging my posts. Sorry to have caused more work for you. I have followed all directions as far as reading articles and cleaning my machine. Hope to hear from you soon.

#39 Kao

Kao

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:53 PM

Um, I'm currently on my 12th day of waiting, but since I've bumped it a few times (I only just noticed the thread saying not to bump..) it probably won't even get seen for a few more days, and I think I've waited long enough already. So if someone could take a look at it, I'd be very appreciative.

http://www.spywarein...wtopic=5797&hl=

#40 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 12:04 AM

Hi Kao - Already on it, please check your post.

#41 Kao

Kao

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 09:39 AM

Done. =)

#42 Ladyrider

Ladyrider

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 01:48 PM

umm, I posted a new HJT log earlier under the topic "unanswered after 3 days", but now I can't find the post. Was it deleted because I did something wrong, or just to clear the thread?

#43 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 03:15 PM

Not sure if it was your or not but I have removed several, some that I helped with and other for not providing links to the topics and others for not following instructions etc. As it currently stands - There are far too many new cases coming in and I cannot keep up - I think I currently have 40-50 active topics that I am working on as well as trying to pick up any that come in through that thread - Ones that have followed the instructions.

#44 Ladyrider

Ladyrider

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 04:16 PM

PGPhantom - sorry you and your helpers are so swamped - I had trouble pasting my link - clicked on the first "posted", then properties for url. Is this correct? I have followed all instructions and read everything, just think my link was wrong. I will try one more time then leave it alone. Thanks - I'm trying, but not as computer literate as I thought evidently. Have a good day.

#45 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 05:41 PM

Thank you for your patience Ladyrider - I have checked your post - Please check it for the resolution.

#46 ChaoGuy

ChaoGuy

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 02:12 AM

if you guys get the chance please find the topic I made called "somthing not functing on this computer" topic, thanks.

#47 Mere_Mortal

Mere_Mortal

Spy-Aware

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 07:45 AM

ChaoGuy, I believe this is the [Post] you talk of.

However, your post is less than 24 hours old, so some responders may look at older ones before yours.

Cheers :)

Edited by Mere_Mortal, 23 June 2004 - 07:46 AM.

#48 denied

denied

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 10:32 AM

Back on June 14, one of the Helpers posted here to the effect that he/she first looks at logs that have 0 replies, since they obviously havent received attention yet.

My log, posted yesterday, has 1 reply -- myself. Following the advice i've seen here, i bumped it. I have looked at quite a few threads which appear to have 2 or 3 replies (or more), but which are actually just being bumped.

Please dont assume that just because a thread has replies, that it's being helped. :unsure:

Thanks for all the help you guys gave me last winter when i had a major spyware infestation. I'll wait patiently for my turn now. :)

#49 oisin5199

oisin5199

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 09:37 PM

Hi! I've been waiting for over two weeks for a response to my posts. One of the pinned threads suggested I keep bumping it, but another said not to because the posts with no replies get answered first. I've had tons of views but no response. I also posted in the pinned thread for waits longer than a few days but that's now been shut down. Can someone please help me? I just need to know what I should remove my log. Here's the link to my thread: http://www.spywarein...indpost&p=30611

thanks

#50 Mere_Mortal

Mere_Mortal

Spy-Aware

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:59 AM

Two weeks is a long wait, I agree. Hold on though, because a Responder may give priority and help you soon :)

In regards to Responders looking for a suitable log to fix, most will search for the older ones that have no responses at all, or will look out for ones where the post author made the last reply, particularly if it is the only reply.

As for the total amount of views, bear in mind that there may be many instances of people finding the logs on Google or by searching the forum for a particular file, in order to find a solution or diagnosis for another, or even their own log.

Edited by Mere_Mortal, 24 June 2004 - 08:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button