• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:27 AM

I just read the hacker defender fix that was posted in the SWI newsletter and I would like to point out a few potential (but easily fixed) problems that can occur when following the posted instructions. I apologize if this has been covered before. I have quite a bit of experience with boot disks and bootable recovery environments as I have constructed, built, used, modified and remastered a variety of them.

The instructions suggest using Windows PE (Bartís) if they have NTFS as their file system. The first problem you may run into is that Win PE can only be built with an XPsp1 installation or install CD or Server 2003 installation or install CD. If you run into this problem, you might be able to download a trial version of Avast! BART CD, which is compressed and doesnít require building.

A second problem you could run into is with Goback. There are several bootable recovery environments (including Win PE) that cannot or will not recognize Goback protected disks. You will either have to disable Goback or use a different recovery environment such as Knoppix (DSL, Mini or Full).

A third problem that you could run into, there are a number of computers out there that do not allow for booting from the CD/DVD drive. If this is the problem, download 'bootable CD loader' which will allow you to boot from a CD/DVD drive.
And lastly, if you are using Win PE (Bartís), be sure to read the legal information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button