• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tutti08

msn messenger

5 posts in this topic

I just upgraded to windows xp pro SP 1. My husband in his wisdom decided to start using messenger. Somehow he has linked up the .net passport to the computer so when you click on sign in, it automatically starts without prompting for a password. We would like to get back the default setting, but there doesn't seem to be anyway to change that. In the help it gives you two ways to change that. The first where you sign into net messenger service it says to clear the "remember my name and password on this computer" box. All we get is sign me in automatically. The second suggestion says to go into control panel, under user accounts and click on the advanced tab to manage passwords. We don't have this tab to manage our passwords. It is version 4.7 of Messenger. Any help would be appreciated. THANK YOU.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7

Scan saved at 10:31:44 AM, on 5/18/2004

Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGUARD.EXE

C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe

C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGNT.EXE

C:\Program Files\Eraser\eraser.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

C:\Program Files\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx

O3 - Toolbar: MSN Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar\01.01.1601.0\en-us\msntb.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\\NeroCheck.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVGCtrl] C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGNT.EXE /min

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Eraser] C:\Program Files\Eraser\eraser.exe -hide

O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Q828026] "C:\WINDOWS\INF\unregmp2.exe" /UpdateWMP

O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE

O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)

O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll

O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll

O16 - DPF: {3E68E405-C6DE-49FF-83AE-41EE9F4C36CE} (Office Update Installation Engine) - http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/content/opuc.cab

O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/...8118.7282175926

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{5F454741-E9C8-470A-B6A3-5F1B9EE72D3C}: NameServer = 64.7.158.10

As you're using XP, I assume you mean "Windows Messenger". The latest version is 5.0

If you are using MSN Messenger (which you can also have), the latest version is 6.2

In either version, go to Options>Privacy, and click on "Always ask me for my password..."

General tab: uncheck "Automatically run Messenger when Windows starts" & "Allow Automatic sign in"

Thanks for your reply. I'm using Windows Messenger 4.7 and the box is already checked for "always ask for my password" and the other preference for "running messenger when windows starts" is also already unchecked. Sign me in automatically was also unchecked and it still signs me in without a password when I hit sign in. Any other suggestions? (I just want to delete the entire program off my computer, it's a pain.)

Found the answer at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_messenger.htm

Remove/Add Items from remembered list in Messenger login

When you sign in to Messenger, it remembers every email address / .net passport that you signed in under. To remove an item from the list of remembered names:

1. In Start menu select Run

2. enter: "control userpasswords2"

3. Go to Advanced tab

4. Select Manage Passwords Button

5. Add or Remove items at will

Hope this help others. Thanks for your time.

You can remove Windows Messenger by going to Start>All Programs>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs, then by clicking on 'Add/Remove Windows Components on the left side of that list.

Once in the Wizard, scroll to the last component. Click to remove it, and follow through as usual...

It should now be gone.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0