• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pc87

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 02:30 AM

Can anyone help me here. I'm Using Windows XP and have accidently deleted the file svchost.exe from D:\Windows\System32\
After restarting my computer, I see that the Windows XP Default Blue layout has changed to a 'classic style' and my dialup internet connections are lost. I cant even create new dialup internet connections. Furthurmore, I tried to run System Restore but that gives me an error "Cannot run System Restore. Restart your computer"....but that doesnt helps.
Besides that my other programs are running fine. Oh, by the way i'm on Windows98 right now as i have 2 windows.
A little help to bring back Windows XP to its normal state again would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

#2 Aaron B.

Aaron B.

There is hope, but it's small...

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 03:36 AM

Try running 'sfc /scannow' with the XP installation CD in the drive you installed from (of course, without the little ' ' marks). It'll take awhile and probably prompt you a hundred thousand times to accept the changed files. Be careful here 'cause this looks like it might be the one and only irreversible way to fix it... if you accept the changes made to svchost.exe, you won't be able to go back.
This operation may take a while if lots of changes have been made (installed stuff, updated files, etc.). This will only work if you have the CD that WinXP was installed from... if you don't have the identical disc XP was installed from, it won't work.

If this doesn't work, the installation is shot. Reinstall or transfer your data to the Win98 partition and delete the XP installation.
"This is no mere ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance."
- Legolas from The Fellowship of the Ring
My personally hosted website

CWShredder download
HiJackThis download

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button