• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 studiotwo

studiotwo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 01:15 PM

Hello,
I am using a product called WinPatrol to monitor any additions to my startup programs.

I have asked the software to remove "qttask.exe -atboottime" (Quicktime TaskBar). It appears to do this successfully. I have also disabled the Taskbar from within the software.

However, I do very occasionally use quicktime (normally film trailers and the like). When I do, "qttask.exe" gets added back onto my startup programs. WinPatrol fails to advise me of this.

Is this a flaw in the program? If so, It would cause me to lose some confidence in spotting other changes.

TIA
Stephen

#2 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 10:25 PM

I would say so. Report it to the developer so he can see what's going wrong.
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

#3 clif_notes

clif_notes

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 11:24 PM

Hi Studio,

I also used WinPatrol for a time. I have nothing against it and I would recommend it for anyone. I am currently using a smaller more efficient startup blocker called Startup Monitor by Mike Lin. I've experienced the incessant demand by Quicktime to alway create a startup and StartMon always catches it. It catches it instantly, and does the same for any program or new install. You can see a review of it at my site or go to Mike Lin's page.

Clif_Notes & CNNL

#4 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 09:12 PM

hi...found this thread searching google for qttaskexe. i searched here but didn't find anything. i hope i'm in the right place. my prob is with qttask. what can i do with it? can i simply delete it or do i have to let win patrol turn it off everytime? win patrol is doing a good job for me. comments from other forums don't seem to know what to do with qttask so i am here...............thanks

#5 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:12 AM

Did you go through the Quicktime Control Panel?

Run it, then go to the section in the drop-down menu named Browser Plug-In. Uncheck the box marked "Quicktime System Tray icon."

That should do it.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#6 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:08 AM

Sorry Tuexdo that doesn't work. Preventing the systemtray from appearing is different from stopping qttask.exe from starting.

I believe the only way is to rename qtttask.exe to say qttask2.exe.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#7 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:08 PM

thanks guys... i had tried to uncheck the browser plug-in and that didn't work. so i simply deleted it. it resides in my recycle bin. the only website that i need quicktime for still works with a deleted qttask.exe. i haven't tried the rename trick yet but i probably should restore the file and do that. that way all i have to do is rename it again should i need it. thanks

#8 byrddogx

byrddogx

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 03:23 PM

Quicktime is a great application - but like AOL, it is relentless when it comes to doing what you don't want. You can remove the entry, delete it, etc - but eveytime you run a program that utilizes QT....it reinserts itself in startup. Here is the scary part...and frankly, the part that really pisses me off. If electing to do a selective startup in MSCONFIG - loading ONLY the System Services and you then startup QT. It will change your selected options in the MSCONFIG to load System Services and Startups. :grrr:

#9 rikardo

rikardo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:04 AM

Have a look at AnVir Task Manager. It manages startup programs and active processes, removes spyware. It shows full information about each process including command line, inbound and outbound traffic, disk load, tray icon, performance graph, internet connections. AnVir Task Manager makes XP or Vista much handier.
Let’s discuss this Manager here.

task manager

Edited by Rocket Grannie, 30 October 2009 - 09:33 AM.
To disable link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button