About:blank on 98SE and ME

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wildwest

wildwest

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 07:53 PM

What a week!! I have spent hours and hours trying to get rid of this sucker and everytime it came back on a restart. Even more frustrating, most help given is for Windows 2000 or XP, so poor old me with windows ME felt abit left out! After a good deal of investigation, I think I stumbled on the answer. This is how I did it, but please don't shout if you delete something you should'nt!! Oh, and run a virus check first. I've got up to date software, but still found troj_startpag hiding on my "c" drive.
Ok, the whole root of this problem is that after running CW Shredder and Hijack This! the about:blank page always comes back. So, find that hidden file responsible and you're on the home run. First, I noticed that the file invariably hides in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM. Second, it has the extension .dll. I went to this folder and clicked view, then details. Next, click the modified tag to show the most recent dates at the top. Now, you know roughly when the problem started, so you're looking at a .dll file between then and now. Now the good bit, go to http://www.dynamicli.../frames/dll.htm and this guy has a list a mile long of legitimate .dll files. If your suspect file isn't on there, then that's the sucker you want.
So now you know the culprit, but of course you try to rename/ delete the file and it won't have any of it. So restart the computer in safe mode (tapping F8) and go straight to your system folder and delete the file (I kept mine in the recycle bin..just in case it was a legitimate file). Then I run CW Shredder and fixed any infected files. I also then ran Hijack This...more out of curiosity, and cleared the about:blank pages from the log. Finally, I went via the path of start/ settings/ control panel/ internet options and reset my homepage. I didn't try to open Explorer to do it as at this point I was taking no chances!!
And that folks was how easy it was!! I restarted the computer in normal mode and thank the Lord I am back to my old pages again.
I'm no expert on this (although I've read an awful lot this past week :), but if this can help one single person (and I know of one other that has also done this and succeeded in killing this parasite) then it's worth my time to post this on here.
Good luck!! :wave:

#2 bigfloyd91

bigfloyd91

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 09:38 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This worked for me too! Let's hope it lasts. Thanks for taking the time to post your solution.

#3 wildwest

wildwest

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 07:47 AM

:bounce: Thats great news bigfloyd91...cheers for the reply. nice to know it helped (and worked!) :bounce:

#4 superchicken

superchicken

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 10:57 AM

Looked likely from what I've read in trying to figure out how to fix my '98 machine, so I tried it & it seems to have worked. I'll keep my fingers crossed....
Thanks a bunch for sharing, wildwest!

#5 wildwest

wildwest

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 06:17 PM

****UPDATE****

Sadly, the about:blank page returned after 24 hours and has done each day. My original removal has been carried out each time only to have a reinfection at the same time +10minutes or so each day. I also found two other things. Firstly, I had a windows ME specific file which had suddenly shown a problem (lphlpapi.dll) since this all began and the microsoft fix refused to update. Also, I (belatedly!!) tried to install SpyWare Blaster and that kept coming back as a broken file...so I kind of felt that I still had a problem.
After a lot of searching, I found this file http://www10.brinkst...st/Win98Fix.zip
I actually have ME upgraded from 98SE so I ran the file (which fixes the registry) in safe mode having first used CW Shredder and Hijack This as well as removing the rogue .dll file from the system folder. Next, I restarted in normal mode and re-ran the fix and the other files in the .zip...this revealed another .dll previously not found which was quaranteened by my virus scanner.
Moment of truth, lphlpapi.dll has installed first time and SpyWare Blaster is happily installed and running so looks like this problem is at last solved. If this is my last post on this thread, you know it worked!!

PS. mephitical, MTC and kfoleyBlue...hope this helps you fellas!!

#6 Subratam

Subratam

Silent Assasinator

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:57 PM

we do have fix for Win 9x/Me versions regards to about:blank. Please post the logs respectively and it will be solved. Do NOT do things on own which may cause harm.
http://blog.emsisoft.com
www.Emsisoft.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button