• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shapemyshrubs

virtual memory is low

3 posts in this topic

I was recently scourged with the CWS trojan and about:blank. Now I run Hijack This and CWShredder (thanks Merijn). Now I have a new problem. XP reports that i am running low on virtual memory and I'm sure it is. Eerything is running really slow, especially video performance. I remember reading a post on another forum where this dude had the same problem and it turned out to be a corrupted copy of svchost.exe and lsass.exe Startup list shows svchost runs twice. This seems odd to me.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7

Scan saved at 6:06:24 PM, on 6/10/2004

Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe

C:\Program Files\HijackThis.exe

R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{23BACDB5-2836-405E-A093-3E1D1140AB55}: NameServer = 10.1.1.34 10.1.1.12

O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{23BACDB5-2836-405E-A093-3E1D1140AB55}: NameServer = 10.1.1.34 10.1.1.12

OK try this:

Right click My computer > Properties > Advanced tab > in the Performance panel > settings > Advanced tab > bottom panel Virtual Memory: that number in MB's is the current size of the page file otherwise known as virtual memory. It should be for most users 1.5 times the size of your RAM - if physical memory = 256 MB, the page file should be 384 MB.

On the theory that its currupted, press the "change" bar > in the next panel labled virtual memory tick the "no paging file" button and then the "set" bar, then reboot. This erases the current page file.

When the system comes back up > go back into that last panel and tick the "system managed size" button and then the "set" bar and reboot again.

Regards - Charles

EDIT: Forgot to add, having multiple copies of svchost.exe is normal - I have up to 4 depending on what the system is doing. The reason for this is that XP's running services are "bundled" into svchost instead of listed individually.

Edited by Charlesvar

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0