IE

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 sliqnes

sliqnes

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:01 PM

Im useing IE and read that its not safe how safe is netscape browser?

#2 Guitar Man

Guitar Man

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:23 PM

Internet Explorer has had a 'bad rap' because of the many security holes found in the past. As long as you're up-to-date at Windows Updates' site, you need not fear anything. Just watch out for certain sites that have malicious code embedded in links.

And make sure your anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall are also updated with the latest definitions...
<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Phil</span>
--------------------------------------------------------
Minimum "must haves":

ZoneAlarm Free - AVG 6.0 Free - Spybot S&D - SpywareBlaster - Ad-Aware - StartupMonitor - RegSeeker 1.35

#3 sliqnes

sliqnes

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:38 PM

Thx alot

#4 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:32 AM

Internet Explorer has had a 'bad rap' because of the many security holes found in the past. As long as you're up-to-date at Windows Updates' site, you need not fear anything. Just watch out for certain sites that have malicious code embedded in links.

And make sure your anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall are also updated with the latest definitions...

Er that is wrong.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#5 Guitar Man

Guitar Man

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:55 AM

And why is that wrong ? :rolleyes: Perhaps you have another opinion ? Or a better answer to a simple question ?

Let's hear it !
Minimum "must haves":

ZoneAlarm Free - AVG 6.0 Free - Spybot S&D - SpywareBlaster - Ad-Aware - StartupMonitor - RegSeeker 1.35

#6 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:48 AM

You're safer using a different browser. I prefer Firefox, but Mozilla is better for most people. Both can be downloaded free from http://mozilla.org

If you're going to use Internet Explorer, you need to take steps to make it safe. http://www.spywarein...ked/prevent.php
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

#7 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:35 AM

And why is that wrong ? :rolleyes: Perhaps you have another opinion ? Or a better answer to a simple question ?

Let's hear it !

For the simple fact that at any one time there are a few critcial unpatched IE bugs known publicly.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#8 Guitar Man

Guitar Man

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 02:52 PM

For the simple fact that at any one time there are a few critcial unpatched IE bugs known publicly.

It seems to me that this is just another way to word part of my answer... <_<

Part of Mike's answer is what I left out, IMHO. But "hindsight is 20/20"...and so is experience. And knowing where all the right answers are.

If we knew them all, user Forums would not exist. :huh:

We're ALL here to learn. B)
Minimum "must haves":

#9 brownda7

brownda7

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 06:21 PM

Having a fully updated IE6 and Windows operating system as well as firewalll, a/virus, and a/spyware is not suffucient.

I had all these and got Hijacked badly by nkvd.us.

You must follow the advice given in http://www.spywarein...ked/prevent.php if you want to use IE.

ie Use a hosts file, get IE-SPYADS, disable some of the scripting options etc etc.

OR use mozilla!

I now only use IE to access windows update.

brownda

#10 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 08:50 AM

Having a fully updated IE6 and Windows operating system as well as firewalll, a/virus, and a/spyware is not suffucient.

I had all these and got Hijacked badly by nkvd.us.

You must follow the advice given in http://www.spywarein...ked/prevent.php if you want to use IE.

ie Use a hosts file, get IE-SPYADS, disable some of the scripting options etc etc.

OR use mozilla!

I now only use IE to access windows update.

brownda

Glad you agree brownda7

How many times have you seen someone on these or other forums complain that despite, being fully patched, running antivirus, adaware, spybot with latest definitions, spywareblaster they still got hit? I've seen it a lot. With new variants coming out faster than antispyware can detect them, it is no longer safe to rely on them to detect them, let alone remove them.

Guitar Man, my reply was a bit abrupt, sorry for that. But the "bad rep" for IE is fully deserved, and your advice certainly didn't reflect how hard it is to keep IE spyware free.

Of course, given that you are just a trainee helper, I'll give you some slack. I don't know a lot of things as well too of course.

#11 Guitar Man

Guitar Man

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 10:00 AM

Guitar Man, my reply was a bit abrupt, sorry for that.

I would have normally accepted your apology...but with your following comment, I won't !

Of course, given that you are just a trainee helper, I'll give you some slack.

Just who the hell do you think you are ??? I'm a trainee helper, if only because I just joined recently, and plan to help as much as I can. I don't profess to knowing everything, but I will know a lot more very shortly. This is a great place to learn. And probably one of the top 5 busiest Forums on the Net. Just in what I'm subscribed to, in the last 3 days alone, there are 80 new posts for help...

If you're going to post, think about what you're going to say. BEFORE posting...

It avoids having to read unnecessary garbage. (and having Mods edit posts as well)

Rant over. :p
Minimum "must haves":

#12 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:50 AM

Guitar Man, my reply was a bit abrupt, sorry for that.

I would have normally accepted your apology...but with your following comment, I won't !

Of course, given that you are just a trainee helper, I'll give you some slack.

Just who the hell do you think you are ??? I'm a trainee helper, if only because I just joined recently, and plan to help as much as I can. I don't profess to knowing everything, but I will know a lot more very shortly. This is a great place to learn. And probably one of the top 5 busiest Forums on the Net. Just in what I'm subscribed to, in the last 3 days alone, there are 80 new posts for help...

Again I managed to offend you even though to be fair you snipped out the portion where I admited, I don't know everything either.

No one is doubting your sincerity or your efforts. I'm sure you have more expertise than me in removing adware and spyware. But I just noticed that in the rush to get more help, the quality of advice espically for "general" type of questions has fallen. I have even seen a number of cases where trainee helpers (not you) have given batently wrong FACTS about antispy software, though others corrected them later. But as mentioned before, that's why you guys have the rating of trainee! Heck even "experts" make mistakes.

I apologise again if you look offence . But I do not apologise for pointing out that your post was incomplete and misleading. If your pride can't allow you to accept that, it's your problem not mine :D

It avoids having to read unnecessary garbage. (and having Mods edit posts as well)

That is a bit childish. But I'll let you have that shot. :D

Edited by Paranoid, 22 May 2004 - 10:51 AM.

#13 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 09:41 AM

My question is what happens when the bad guys find out about Firefox (my favorite browser) and start targeting it. Right now IE is such a problem due to the fact that it's so popular. The bad guys target that which they can do the most damage to and since IE is the most widely used browser, probably in the world, this is what they go after. But what happens if and when Firefox gains more in popularity? Will they then start finding the flaws that most certainly exsist in this browser too? I hope not. I don't want to lose another browser to those lowlifes.

#14 Guest_skycom_*

Guest_skycom_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:59 AM

I just transitioned to the New Opera and i cant say enough good things in its Favor.
I'll still use IE, but it doesn't hold a handle to OPERA.

#15 OldGuy

OldGuy

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:04 AM

Since you folks are discussing browsers I have a few questions.

1.) I have Windows XP with IE preinstalled of course. Four profiles, (one for each member of the family). If I switch to Firefox is everybody required to switch or is this an individual choice (I suspect my wife will want to keep IE because she's used to it).

2.) You mention that Firefox is pretty much immune to hijacks. Does this mean that there is no need for anti-spyware when using it (I have a pile of anti-spyware right now) ?

3.) If the other users stay with IE then I have to keep the anti-spyware for them right ?

#16 Guitar Man

Guitar Man

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 12:23 PM

Without getting into great detail, I'd say:

1) You'd have to be a little more specific as to "profiles", but I'd say NO; not if they have each of their preferences, settings, and permissions in their user profiles. You can have as many browsers as you'd like on one system...

Some settings will remain global (local machine), and others will be specific (current user).

How do you log on to a Windows session ? Have you set permissions in the Group Policy Editor as the Administrator, and they have limited accounts ? If so, then the above applies.

2) NO; you should always take the extra precautions to protect your browsing. "An ounce of prevention..." Besides; why would you want to remove those apps, if they're doing the job ?

3) YES; again, it won't hurt...
Minimum "must haves":

#17 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 11:26 AM

Since you folks are discussing browsers I have a few questions.

1.) I have Windows XP with IE preinstalled of course. Four profiles, (one for each member of the family). If I switch to Firefox is everybody required to switch or is this an individual choice (I suspect my wife will want to keep IE because she's used to it).

2.) You mention that Firefox is pretty much immune to hijacks. Does this mean that there is no need for anti-spyware when using it (I have a pile of anti-spyware right now) ?

3.) If the other users stay with IE then I have to keep the anti-spyware for them right ?

1) It is an indidivual choice.

2) No, since spyware can be still installed via other methods (eg bundling with other software) can some of them do much worse things than merely hijacking your homepage.

3) Of course.

#18 Guitar Man

Guitar Man

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:47 PM

AHHH...

I see "Mister 2nd Opinion" has joined once again added his comments folowing my post !

How nice of you...but I guess you don't like the way I answer, do you ? All you did was to repeat AGAIN what I posted, but in different words, or simply embellish them.

You are showing all the signs of being this forum's 'resident TROLL'...Posted Image
Minimum "must haves":

#19 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:35 AM

Guitar man, I'm frankly puzzled by your aggression. Is there any rule that says a second opinion cannot be given? It's done all the time on forums.

Besides if you look closely my answer does not replicate yours, espically 2).

As for being a troll, looks to me like you are the one who wants to cause trouble with such a comment.

#20 Nick

Nick

SWI Junkie

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 12:09 PM

Be nice....

I'll add that even if you don't use IE anymore, you still need to keep it patched and updated, since it is tied so closely to the OS.

#21 ilikehats

ilikehats

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 01:32 PM

My question is what happens when the bad guys find out about Firefox (my favorite browser) and start targeting it. Right now IE is such a problem due to the fact that it's so popular. The bad guys target that which they can do the most damage to and since IE is the most widely used browser, probably in the world, this is what they go after. But  what happens if and when Firefox gains more in popularity? Will they then start finding the flaws that most certainly exsist in this browser too? I hope not. I don't want to lose another browser to those lowlifes.

I've been wondering about that, too. I like both Opera and Mozilla-based browsers, but I think I prefer the way the Gecko engine renders pages, so I'm back on Firefox now.

Mozilla and its cousins are easy to exploit through fake extension files, and Opera installs skin files instantly.
When I was using Opera, I was looking for a way to customize its right-click menu, but didn't really know which .ini file to edit. So I asked on a tech forum if anyone knew.

Some poster said "just wait a sec, I'll fix you up!" and added the entry I wanted to my context menu in seconds by having me visit a page with a php script he wrote. I'm really curious what the future will bring...

Edited by ilikehats, 29 May 2004 - 01:33 PM.

#22 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 03:51 PM

Ilikehats, don't you have to agree to accept the fake extension files in Mozilla or is there some way to get around that ?

#23 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 04:31 PM

You have to decide if you trust the site hosting the extension you're downloading. If it's found at texturizer.net or mozdev.org, you can trust it. If it's from anywhere else, use your judgement.

#24 ilikehats

ilikehats

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 04:22 AM

Yeah, I guess so. But I don't think that's going to help people whose knee-jerk reaction is to click "yes" in every dialog box. But at least then it's their fault, not the program's.

How many Netscape/Mozilla hijackers are there, anyway? Is there a list somewhere?

#25 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 04:25 AM

How many Netscape/Mozilla hijackers are there, anyway? Is there a list somewhere?

I think there used to be a Lop version. That's all.

Recently there are malware that attempt to install via XPI , but the irony is what it does is that it installs a IE hijacker.

#26 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 08:59 PM

Zero

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button