• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Libra

Libra

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 10:28 AM

Hi,
I would appreciate your help. I have AOL Version 6, Windows 98se and IE6sp1. I have my homepage locked with Spyware Blaster.
I have given America Online 6 access rights in Zone Alarm (4.5.538.001). Recently, when I click on the AOL icon, ZA has been giving alerts for waol.exe. (It is listed in ZA Programs aswaol.exe, invalid date and file size 0 kb.) I have allowed it on a per time basis since AOL doesn't load without this. I have been told this may be malware. (The alert has only popped up when I attempt to sign onto AOL.) Can you please look at my log and see if this is a problem?
Thank you very much.
Sincerely, Libra

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 11:06:12 AM, on 6/11/04
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGLOOP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSG32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NSCLEAN\BOCLEAN\BOCLEAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VETMSG9X.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\VETTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NSCLEAN\BOCLEAN\BOCSEC.EXE
C:\AMERICA ONLINE 6.0\WAOL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\UTILITIES\HIJACKTHIS 1.97.7\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.yahoo.com.../hp/search.html
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BOCleanautostart] C:\PROGRA~1\NSCLEAN\BOCLEAN\BOCLEAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] c:\windows\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScriptSentry] C:\PROGRAM FILES\SCRIPT SENTRY\SCRIPTSENTRY.exe /check
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Vet Alert] C:\WINDOWS\System\VetMsg9x.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetTray] C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~1\VETTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://classweb.csi.cuny.edu
O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://fpdownload.ma...ector/swdir.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macr...ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupd...37866.875150463

~~~~~~~~
I also want to mention that the first item shows yahoo. This is an HP computer and they put a redirect to yahoo for my home page, but I found out through HP how to change this and yahoo isn't my homepage.

#2 caruch6392

caruch6392

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 10:34 AM

WAOL.exe is actually the main AOL program, not to be confused with AOL.exe which is a System Tray icon for AOL. this is not malware or anything it needs to be run.

take this out:

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.yahoo.com.../hp/search.html

very clean log though :bounce:

{SoW}Rob
UPDATE and run adaware adware
UPDATE and run spybot spybot search and destroy
UPDATE and run cwshredder cwshredder
update and use spyware blaster spywareblaster
a nifty little program a squared 2 a squared 2
free virus scanner avg anti-virus
another free antivirus Avast!

dont forget to do windows updates windows updates

my pontiac grand prix gt
Posted Image

http://www.cardomain...id/fallen_blade

#3 Libra

Libra

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 07:32 PM

Hi Rob,
Thanks for looking over my log. I had a very difficult time getting back to these forums, but I finally made it.
I just want to mention about AOL - the first item in ZA re AOL is listed as:

Product Name: America Online
File Name: C:\America Online6\waol.exe
Policy: Manually configured
Version: 6.00.000
Created: 12/7/00 16:40:08
File size: 140 KB
(this has the AOL triangular icon)

The waol.exe entry is listed as:

Product Name: (blank)
File Name: waol.exe
Version: (blank)
Created: [invalid date]
File size: 0 KB
(this has an executible icon).

So did this waol.exe somehow separate itself from the first AOL which has access rights granted? I find it's description a little odd.

My other question is about fixing that R1 in my log. I presently have my home page (Google) locked with SpywareBlaster, so can I fix this R1 anyway?

EDIT: Also, I've never fixed anything with HijackThis before. Do I have to shut down running programs before using it, and should I reboot afterwards?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely, Libra

Edited by Libra, 11 June 2004 - 07:36 PM.

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 10:56 PM

The waol.exe entry is listed as:

Product Name: (blank)
File Name: waol.exe
Version: (blank)
Created: [invalid date]
File size: 0 KB
(this has an executible icon).

It looks like it would be safe to remove this and doing so may reveal if it is more malicious than it appears... If you find more than one of them on your hard drive, the one in the AOL folder is probably the legit one...

My other question is about fixing that R1 in my log. I presently have my home page (Google) locked with SpywareBlaster, so can I fix this R1 anyway?

EDIT: Also, I've never fixed anything with HijackThis before. Do I have to shut down running programs before using it, and should I reboot afterwards?

It should be fine to fix the R1... To use HJT, do close all open windows and browsers, run HJT and mark the item to be fixed, then click on fix... It would be a good idea to reboot and post a fresh log, but please make sure all programs are enabled in msconfig so that we can make sure there isn't anything hiding there....
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 Libra

Libra

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 02:04 AM

Hi Budfred,
I just changed my settings to show all hidden and system files and then did a find. It only showed one waol.exe in my C\America Online folder, and it showed the AOL triangular icon.
I just thought of something. I just checked my ZoneAlarm logs. I had a problem with the electricity on June 6 and the pc was running. At that time AOL disappeared and I lost the log in the ZA alerts. I checked the June 5 log - no waol.exe is listed. June 6 has only one entry. June 7 shows waol.exe! I have the feeling something happened to ZA even though it seems to be running fine. I think I should check the ZA forums about this.
~~~~~~~
I had no idea that everything must be checked in msconfig before you run HijackThis! I have 22 items unchecked. If I checked everything to run a scan and then unchecked them afterwards, would my computer survive that?
Thank you very much for your reply.
Sincerely, Libra

#6 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 02:44 AM

If you have any programs in msconfig that would cause your computer to fail, you REALLY need to get rid of them and not simply let them sit in msconfig... It shouldn't be a problem to run them, but you can permanently disable them with HJT in most cases.... HJT won't delete the program, but it will modify the Registry so that the programs don't load at Startup anymore....

On that AOL file, find it again and check in Properties to make sure it is okay and leave it alone if it is clearly legit... Also, if your system was effected by lightening, you may have a much bigger problem than malware... you may have some hardware problems....
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#7 Libra

Libra

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 12:13 PM

Hi Budfred,
I checked the file and it is legitimate.
re msconfig - I unchecked the items (i.e. quicktime, real, MS Money, AOL tray icon) so they wouldn't load at startup because I'm running Windows 98se and they were taking up too many resources. I also disabled the HP keyboard features because it had a redirect (I know there is a new driver for that), but it was using 8% resources.
Re the electricity - there wasn't any lightening, but in the morning my husband told me the television had turned itself off and on three times (also a car alarm went off), so I decided to check the computer. That's when I found AOL disappeared and my ZA alert log was empty. I also had a lot of .tmp files in ZA's Internet Logs and C\Windows\Temp but the computer was running.
I still haven't gotten a direct response from ZA as to whether the electric problem could have caused this waol.exe alert.
Sincerely, Libra

#8 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 12:40 PM

ZA has some of the worst customer service I have encountered anywhere even if you have the paid version, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a helpful response from them...

If you had power blinking on and off and you don't have an uninterruptible power supply on your computer, it get hit with power surges and that can cause both software and hardware problems.... Hope that it is only this weird effect with waol....

If you enable the programs you mentioned in msconfig and fix them with HJT, they will stop trying to load at Startup... The actual program will not be effected and you can set them up to run at Startup if you choose in the future. You can also run them manually whenever you want....
Budfred

#9 Libra

Libra

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:19 PM

Hi budfred,
No, I don't have a ups on the computer. I do have a surge protector but from what happened last week it doesn't seem to be doing much.

I also have these two items unchecked on the general page of msconfig: process config.sys and process autoexec.bat. Is it necessary to enable them before running a new HijackThis log?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

P.S. I removed all of ZA's settings in safe mode hoping that it would identify aol correctly. When I started aol and was alerted by ZA, it identified waol.exe with the [invalid date] 0 KB size. I'm assuming this is AOL and maybe something with the electricity caused this. Also, I have a ghost copy of my harddrive from June 3 prior to installing ZA. I do have that option also.

#10 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:12 PM

Surge protectors are mostly glorified extension cords, they don't really provide any useful protection... I don't know if that is what caused the problem, but it could be...

As for config.sys and autoexec.bat ... I would let them load since they could start a number of programs that could be the source of the problem.... Then run and post a HJT log....

It may also be a good idea to run an online virus scan and download the trial version of TrojanHunter and run it... If absolutely necessary, you could also uninstall AOL, check for that mystery file and reinstall...
Budfred

#11 Libra

Libra

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:35 PM

Hi Budfred,
I checked everything in the startup of msconfig and process autoexec.bat and process config.sys. I just discovered it put itself to Normal Startup. This has me start up with 68% resources free instead of 86%. (I had HijackThis fix that R1 a little while ago). Thank you.

Here's my log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 10:25:59 PM, on 6/14/04
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGLOOP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSG32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIDSERV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NSCLEAN\BOCLEAN\BOCLEAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VETMSG9X.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\VETTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMKEYBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPSYSDRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USBMMKBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HKCMD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\REAL\REALPLAYER\REALPLAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NSCLEAN\BOCLEAN\BOCSEC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\KEYBDMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RunDLL.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\WORKS SHARED\WKCALREM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PRINTKEY2000\PRINTKEY2000.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONSCREEN DISPLAY\OSD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMUSBKB2.EXE
C:\UTILITIES\HIJACKTHIS 1.97.7\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

F1 - win.ini: run=hpfsched hpfsched
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BOCleanautostart] C:\PROGRA~1\NSCLEAN\BOCLEAN\BOCLEAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] c:\windows\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScriptSentry] C:\PROGRAM FILES\SCRIPT SENTRY\SCRIPTSENTRY.exe /check
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Vet Alert] C:\WINDOWS\System\VetMsg9x.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetTray] C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~1\VETTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPScanPatch] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USBMMKBD] usbmmkbd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adaptec DirectCD] C:\PROGRA~1\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Encompass_ENCMONTR] C:\Program Files\Easy Internet\ENCMONTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Hidserv] Hidserv.exe run
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Taskbar Display Controls] RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
O4 - Startup: Printkey2000.lnk = C:\Program Files\PrintKey2000\Printkey2000.exe
O4 - Startup: America Online 6.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\America Online 6.0\aoltray.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://classweb.csi.cuny.edu
O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://fpdownload.ma...ector/swdir.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macr...ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupd...37866.875150463

I will go to Housecall and do an online scan. I have a Trojan cleaner - BOClean.

Please let me know how my log is. Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

#12 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:48 PM

Your log looks clean even with everything enabled... You can fix the item you enabled in msconfig and they will not need to be disabled again, they will not start at Startup... You will still be able to start them manually, they just won't have a Registry entry for Startup...

Otherwise, we need to wait for the results of your scans... You might want to do an online trojan scan as well to make sure your trojan cleaner wasn't corrupted.... You can use Sygates here:

http://scan.sygatete...trojanscan.html

Post back what you find and if you are actually having any more problems... you may have to start looking at things like corrupted files from a power surge or even hardware issues...
Budfred

#13 Libra

Libra

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:26 PM

My scan at Housecall came up clean.

What do you mean by this:

You can fix the item you enabled in msconfig and they will not need to be disabled again, they will not start at Startup... You will still be able to start them manually, they just won't have a Registry entry for Startup...

Do you mean I can check everything I uncheck in msconfig in HijackThis? I don't know if I'm comfortable with that. I know I can go to start>programs and start a program, but I also uncheck the two runs= in msconfig since I don't use the power management. If I needed them, I could just check them.

I'll do a trojan scan. Thank you for the link. I'll report back.

I'm not experiencing any problems with the computer except that I got that waol.exe 0 KB which was very suspicious. Also, we have lost the AOL connection a few times - maybe something's not right with the program ...but it could just be aol.

I appreciate all your help.

Sincerely, Libra

#14 Libra

Libra

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:42 PM

I got this message from the Trojan scan:

You have blocked all of our probes! We still recommend running this test both with
and without Sygate Personal Firewall enabled... so turn it off and try the test again.

I have Verizon dsl with a Westell 2200 modem (has a NAT/Router firewall).
I imagine I could turn off my dsl and connect the phone line for AOL and try that, but I think I would have to shut down ZA, because I think that would block the probes too.

I'll wait to see what you think.

Sincerely, Libra

#15 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:51 PM

The trojan scan is being blocked by ZA, not the router... it is good that ZA is able to block it, but you would have to set it to allow the scan if you proceed with it... If it is only a matter of that suspicious file, it may not be worth the hassle... your call on that....

As for fixing the msconfig items in HJT, it is a way to deal with them if you are pretty sure you are not going to enable them again. As I said, you can still load them manually, but they won't require Selective Startup to stop them loading anymore... again, your call....

I think you may have done as much as you can at this point, short of uninstalling and reinstalling AOL... If it were me, that is probably what I would do, I am guessing it was corrupted by a power surge and that may even be why it is failing at times....

If you think there is anything more I might be able to help with, post back.....
Budfred

#16 Libra

Libra

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:01 AM

Hi Budfred,
I think you're right about the power surge. The only odd things that have occurred are the problems with AOL's connection getting lost and ZA describing the program incorrectly (ZA has also started showing additional instances of AOL and IE running, i.e. I presently have AOL running and one IE window but ZA shows two instances of each of them). These are the two programs I noticed a problem with after the electricity incident. I will probably remove and reinstall AOL. I hope I don't have to do the same for ZA.
I want to thank you for all of your help, information and patience. I appreciate it very much.
Sincerely, Libra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button