scan disk will not finish

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thrasher4811

thrasher4811

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 09:09 PM

as the title says, when I try to run the scan disk (thorough mode) it stops and starts repeatedly. I then get a screen that says sd has started ten times. it says that something is trying to write to windows but i do not have anything but the bare necessities open. should i run the sd in safe mode?

#2 RealityChuck

RealityChuck

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 09:43 PM

That's pretty routine. If there's anything running on your computer (even benign stuff like antivirus), and that software accesses the hard drive, then scandisk will restart.

Going into safe mode will help, as will closing down everything (including your screen saver) that's running. Once you have shut down all legitimate programs, scandisk will run.

#3 thrasher4811

thrasher4811

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 10:23 PM

including explorer?
I will give it a go

Edited by thrasher4811, 11 June 2004 - 10:24 PM.

#4 RealityChuck

RealityChuck

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 12:36 PM

Well, you do need to keep Explorer running or Windows will crash. And the system processes are OK. It just software listed in applications that usually cause the problem.

Remember, though: Scandisk fixes very little. It's good to do it from time to time for top performance, but if you're having any actual problems (i.e., slow computer), the difference won't be noticeable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button