divx and gain

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kenshinmuyo

kenshinmuyo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 10:25 PM

I dont know if anyone posted this already...sorry if i'm just repeating. A lot of people download the divx codecs so that they can watch videos etc on their computers. However, the divx codec pack that you can download for free comes with GAIN. It seems that the only way you can get rid of Gain is to remove the codec pack as well, but then you wont be able to watch your movies. I have found a solution in fixing this.

1) Install divx codecs
2) ctrl+alt+del and find the running process that has the word "gain" in it. I'm not sure of the full name because it's been a while that i havent' done this.
3) end this task
4) run ad-aware and remove everything

after this, you will no longer have gain on you computer but you can still use the codecs ^^ hope this helps

#2 nl255

nl255

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 12:26 AM

A better way would be to use the Xvid codec instead. The Free (GPL) Xvid codec can handle almost any Divx movie, and most files you will find online are actually Xvid anyway. One impotant note, if you distribute xvid yourself, don't forget to include the source code package at xvid.org. Here is a link to a ready to use installer (as always, use a virus scanner).

http://www.roeder.go...oepi/xvid.shtml (Xvid binary installer, ready to use)

#3 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 12:35 AM

Judging from your name, you're into fansubs from places like Animesuki and The Triad? XviD is generally what they use, and if they don't use XviD, you'll most likely find a version using the WMV9 codecs.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#4 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 03:35 AM

The Divx codec does not come with Gator. The Divx Pro editor comes with Gator. The codec is free and has no other software bundled with it.

Divx codec: free, no adware or spyware
Divx Pro: $19.99, no adware or spyware
or
Divx Pro: free, bundled with Gator
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button