"about:blank" removal alternative?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mistersmittyedmonton

mistersmittyedmonton

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 01:42 PM

This is my first post here so I hope I'm in the right forum.

I too have the "about:blank" hijack page and for me it does not seem to be doing any harm other then the annoyance of not being able to have my "start" page the way I like.

Since it seems to be quite the thing to remove what is the alternative to getting rid of it?

1)Re install certain programs?
2)Re-install Windows?
3)Format the hard drive?
???

In other words if I can live with "about:blank" being my start page is there any reason(s) to be concerned?

#2 Guitar Man

Guitar Man

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 06:28 PM

After reaching your preferred home page, have you tried to set it as the default ? Or are you saying that you're not even capable of keeping that option, once you re-open IE, when you go into Tools>Internet Options>General tab, and click on 'use current' ?
<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Phil</span>
--------------------------------------------------------
Minimum "must haves":

ZoneAlarm Free - AVG 6.0 Free - Spybot S&D - SpywareBlaster - Ad-Aware - StartupMonitor - RegSeeker 1.35

#3 mistersmittyedmonton

mistersmittyedmonton

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:16 PM

Yes I've done everything that I've read here and in other forums.I've read in this forum of someone having it for 6 months and it not doing any harm.I don't want to reformat at this time only because I've done a couple other machines(not with similiar problems) and I'm a litte "tired" of formatting.

In 2 or 3 weeks I probably will if I can't find a solution.(I reformat every 6 months or so.)

#4 ScumwareH8er

ScumwareH8er

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:27 AM

how about using a program that locs your homepage
many new popup blockers can do that,,

#5 Hoodlum

Hoodlum

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 07:33 PM

HI do you have any programs that maybe protecting your home page settings? such as spybot? there maybe a box that needs to be unchecked so you can reset your homepage,and then enable protection again after its set. as far as reformatting every 6 mo have you considered using a image making program like norton ghost to image the disk when its running ok?that way if you get hit with a virus or something goes really wrong you can restore the image in a few minutes.

Hoodlum

#6 urankjj

urankjj

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:07 PM

if you are running xp home, its an easy fix for now? go into all programs,acessories,scroll down to sys tools,then to sys restore,follow insturctions and set restore date back to before about.blank occured. wallow, a-fnnn. blank is GONE !!! Hope it works Mahalo, jj7urank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button