• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
    • Budfred

PLEASE READ - Reversing upgrade   02/23/2017

We have found that this new upgrade is somewhat of a disaster.  We are finding lots of glitches in being able to post and administer the forum.  Additionally, there are new costs associated with the upgrade that we simply cannot afford.  As a result, we have decided to reverse course and go back to the previous version of our software.  Since this will involve restoring it from a backup, we will lose posts that have been added since January 30 or possibly even some before that.    If you started a topic during that time, we urge you to make backups of your posts and you will need to start the topics over again after the change.  You can simply paste the copies of your posts that you created at that point.    If you joined the forum this month, you will need to re-register since your membership will be lost along with the posts.  Since you have a concealed password, we cannot simply restore your membership for you.   We are going to backup as much as we can so that it will reduce inconvenience for our members.  Unfortunately we cannot back everything up since much will be incompatible with the old version of our software.  We apologize for the confusion and regret the need to do this even though it is not viable to continue with this version of the software.   We plan to begin the process tomorrow evening and, if it goes smoothly, we shouldn't be offline for very long.  However, since we have not done this before, we are not sure how smoothly it will go.  We ask your patience as we proceed.   EDIT: I have asked our hosting service to do the restore at 9 PM Central time and it looks like it will go forward at that time.  Please prepare whatever you need to prepare so that we can restore your topics when the forum is stable again.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seryl

Can't Download Anything, Net Slow...

3 posts in this topic

I'm having a terrible problem where I cannot update Norton, as it stops partially through the download. Also, I can't download the update manually, as none of my downloads seem to want to finish. They all stop somewhere between 38 and 98 percent completion. I managed to download two zip files (CWshredder and the startup program), though it won't let me download either the .exe or the .zip version of HijackThis. The internet is running horribly slow, and I have to hit reload multiple times before the page is somewhat viewable. When I try to log onto Aol Instant Messenger, my buddy list is always at 0/198, despite the fact that my contacts are on. Said contacts claim they cannot see me on, either.

I've near ripped my hair out searching the registry, going through pages and pages of Symantec searches, trying in vain to download virus and spyware software... nothing seems to work. Can anyone help me, please? I can't post a HijackThis log, as I can't download it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I don't know what version of windows you are using, but it's obvious you have other processes running. In Your task bar at the bottom left, see what you can right click on and then exit, like Yahoo pager, MSN message service, but not your connection, firewall, or virus checker. Let's start with a firewall... you do have one? If not you are letting everything access the network unbeknown to you.

Try CTRL ALT DEL, also known as the Microsoft salute, and see what nonsense is running beside system Tray, explorer, Iexplorer, rnaapp... maybe a modem is listed or something else You use. But if you have much adware on your system unchecked and no firewall... yeah you're going to be very slow. They're all calling home and using your bandwidth.

It is possible you have a Trojan. If nothing You have will run, get on another person's computer, search for "Stinger" by Avert. It will fit nicely on a floppy and most Trojans, virus don't prevent it from running. It's about 800k

Let me know what you have running when you press CTRL ALT DEL. :oops:

Ahhh... thanks a ton for the reply. I stayed up all night with a friend figuring it out. It turns out not only did I have a virus, but my hub randomly died. It was irritating after searching meticulously through the registry, comparing running tasks and looking for suspicious registry entries as well as going through about 40 pages of possible viruses that finally, after all that, moving the line from the hub directly to the dsl modem suddenly made the net want to download things again. After that, I updated Norton, killed the virus, and went out and bought a new hub. :hmmm: After much headaches, all is well. And no spyware! (Good thing, too... I've got all the good spyware finders/killers. I'd hate to have lost faith in those!)

Thanks for your help. Sometimes the solution is in the last place you'd expect. (And it makes for a very long night.)

I'm a happy girl now, so I'm going to bed!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0