general question about ip addr

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_silverstar_*

• Guests

Posted 12 June 2004 - 06:12 PM

Hi- I have a general quesiton about ip addresses. sometimes when i sign a guestbook or something on a friend's home page, my ip address gets logged and it shows up. what can be known/done if one has my ip address? I just removed some spyware, and I'm trying to prevent more from infecting my computer...can somebody here give me some information of what can be known/done by knowning one's ip address? thanks

#2 Venkee

Security Major

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 05:20 PM

An IP adress can be used to roughly determin the location of the computer or host using a GEO-IP system you can also look up who hosts ips with stuff like www.arin.net/whois . IPs can change depending on your connection type. Dynamic (changing) ips are more secure than static (non changing) IPs but most cable have Static IPs whilst dialup and DSL tend to have a dynamic IP which means someone else could of had the same IP in the past which I could go on a tangent about how this affects privacy and endangers users who have get stuck with some other jerks IP later on. Anyways with an IP you can pretty much determine location, examin a remote machine, and in rare cases use exploits to gain access to the machine. Of course thats what we have Firewalls and Antivirus and Security patches for :D So pretty much your fine. Everyone has one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button