• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kristy

Kristy

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 11:29 PM

Hi Guys,

I am ready throw my computer against a hard surface in an attempt to get back my sanity. In fact, that was looking like a great option when I saw this website mentioned in PC User. Of late, my browser (IE) opens to a blank page, and I get 5,000 pop up messages telling me that Adware, Popup, and Spyware invade my privacy and I should get a spyware detector, and they supply dud links.

I've followed the FAQ directions, spybot can't detect anything. Enclosed is the hijackthis log. I'll love the person to pieces who can spare some time and help me. IM GOING NUTS!!!!!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 2:07:51 PM, on 15/06/2003
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPxySvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ScsiAccess.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Kristy\Application Data\ssbb.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Webshots\WebshotsTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Kristy\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 2 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\mrhop.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\mrhop.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\mrhop.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\mrhop.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\mrhop.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\mrhop.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {78C0787B-6FC0-4714-96A2-DD1FEC0B74BA} - C:\WINDOWS\mrhop.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VOBRegCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\VOBREGCheck.exe -CheckReg
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools-1033] "C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIEW] rundll32.exe nview.dll,nViewLoadHook
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Eods] C:\Documents and Settings\Kristy\Application Data\ssbb.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\SNDMon.EXE
O4 - Startup: StickyNote.lnk = C:\Program Files\StickyNote\StickyNote.exe
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\WebshotsTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll

Many thanks in adavnce,

Kristy

#2 Kristy

Kristy

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 02:17 AM

BUMP (thanks for all your great work)

#3 Kristy

Kristy

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 02:24 AM

bump

#4 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 09:28 AM

:) Just so that you know you are not being ignored - I will handle this case for you but I need to ask for your patience while I review the log

Please keep an eye on this message for a resolution shortly.

#5 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 09:35 AM

• Please create a new directory C:\HJT and move the HijackThis.exe file into that directory and only run it from there. That way we can ensure that we have the backup files available in the event that they are needed.
    • Download reglite
    • install "Reglite" and run it, enter HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\ into the address bar.
    • Double click on AppInit_DLLs to open a "Data Editor" properties window, if the bottom textfield named "Value" contains a .dll file; then this is the hidden file you need to get rid off.
    • You should not be able to delete this file if you try to clear the value field, IMPORTANT: take note of the path and name of the .dll file. Write it down so you do not forget it.
    • Rename the Folder "Windows" (This is a purple "highlighted" folder in the left hand window) to NOTWINDOWS. Simply click on the folder, click on "Edit" in the menu bar and select "Rename".
    • Click AppInit_DLLs again and clear the value containing the .dll and ok it. This should have removed the .dll
    • Rename the windows folder back to its original name "Windows".
    • Run SpyBot, Ad-Aware and CWShredder
    • Check the following three links for instructions on downloading and running the applications listed:
    • Next step will be to remove this dll file so make sure you have it noted down.
    • Procedure 1
      • Download KillBox
      • Unzip and start the application
      • Paste in the dir <path and name of dll as found in the appinit value box> e.g. C:\Windows\System32\nameofdll.dll
      • Menu Select Action => Delete on Reboot
      • Select File => Add file <It should add the path automatically>
      • <Same Window> Select Action => Process and Reboot
    • Procedure 2 (If Procedure 1 did not work)
      • Click "Start" => "Run" and type in "cmd" (Without the quotations) and click on "Okay".
      • This will open a command window I will assume you have a basic knowledge of DOS if you have any problems at this point just write back I will outline the commands.
      • Type in dir <path and name of dll as found in the appinit value box> and press "Enter". You should see the name of the file listed.
      • Go to the system32 folder (This is where the .dll file will typically reside) and type attrib -R "nameofdll".dll
      • Carry out Procedure 1 again
    • Restart your computer in safemode (How do I boot into "Safe" mode?)
    • Open cmd window again as before
    • Type dir <path and name of dll as found in the appinit value box> and locate the dll name the dll should now have been removed and will not be listed.
    • While in safe mode, run the 3 ad-removal programs again, just to make sure all traces are gone.
    • The following FILES, DIRECTORIES and DIRECTORY CONTENTS (But not the directory) need to be deleteed while in safe mode. Make sure your settings allow you to view "Hidden files". Open up any explorer windows and click on "Tools" => "Folder Options" => "View" and be sure to check off "Show Hidden Files and Folders". If the files etc listed are not present - Do not worry, just delete those that you can find. If no path is listed, you may need to search for the file(s) - To search, click on "Start" => "Search" => "For Files and Folders" .> "All Files and Folders" and type in the file name. You can delete it right from the search results window.
    • DIRECTORY CONTENTS (But not the directory)
      • C:\Windows\Temp\
      • C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Profile>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\ <=This will delete all your cached internet content including cookies. This is recommended and strongly suggested.
      • C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Profile>\Local Settings\Temp\
      • C:\Documents and Settings\<Any other users Profile>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\
      • C:\Documents and Settings\<Any other users Profile>\Local Settings\Temp\
      • Empty your "Recycle Bin"
    • DIRECTORIES
      • Nothing Yet
    • FILES
      • Nothing Yet
  • Reboot again and log in normally, repost a new HijackThis log into this message for further review.

#6 Kristy

Kristy

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 04:46 AM

Thankyou so much for helping me with removing the malware. Ive followed everything...but I didn't have a .dll file listed in the value section. When I run spyware, I find it always finds and deletes the same files, and when I run it again they have reappeared. Ad-aware removed all sorts of nasties, which is great.

Given that I don't have a .dll file in the 'value' section, which task should I jump to? Should I begin again at Procedure 2?

Once again, I can't thank you enough for your help!

#7 Kristy

Kristy

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 04:49 AM

Sorry! Me again.

After I ran the programs, I did another hijack log:

C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\mrhop.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\mrhop.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\mrhop.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\mrhop.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\mrhop.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\mrhop.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {C34DD83E-2DBF-4FC2-B9C7-28B22482111F} - C:\WINDOWS\mrhop.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Eods] C:\Documents and Settings\Kristy\Application Data\ssbb.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\SNDMon.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WNST] C:\WINDOWS\System32\wnsapisv.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{49F9E61F-52D3-4714-B015-999C7722829D}: NameServer = 203.194.56.150 203.194.27.57
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{49F9E61F-52D3-4714-B015-999C7722829D}: NameServer = 203.194.56.150 203.194.27.57

#8 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:10 AM

Please run through the following procedure:
  • Download the dllfix.exe program from here or from here and save it in c:\windows\system32.
  • Double-Click or Open the self-extracting file. It will ask for installation and change location. Please Keep it in the BOOT drive (Typically Drive-C) and not in any place else. In the "Destination Folder" location, just type in c:\windows\system32 and click on "Install".
  • Navigate to the folder with the contents of the file (c:\windows\sysem32 if you used the suggestion previously mentioned). You will see there are two more folders inside and four .BAT files.
  • Double-Click on "Start.bat" and you should get a command prompt open with a menu listing 4 choices:
    • 1. Run Find-All
    • 2. Run Fix
    • 3. View Readme
    • E. Exit
    Type in 1 and press "Enter". This should start up a report screen (Just press "OK" when a pop up box prompts you). Wait until the report has completed as this may take a few minutes. Once the search is complete, a dialog box will pop up saying "Hit 'OK' to view log." Press "OK" and notepad will open with a file named "Output.txt". There should be a random named .dll file listed.
    Option #1
  • Run the start.bat again after the "dll" is found or if you have not found it.. Run option 2 and choose correct option in submenu. The sub-menu should contain:
    • 1. Enter Dll name Manually <= If you found the dll name that is locked or in the appinit key, you type it in under this option.
    • 2. Run Fix without Dll Name It will be searched for Later. <= This is for if you can't find the dll name.
    • E. Exit
    Option #2
  • Post the contents of the "Output.txt" file into this message for further review.
  • Reboot. There will be the scan for the " dll " on-boot screen, which will search and fix it. There will just be a md5 scan if the filename was entered manually. (option 2,1 in start.bat)
  • Reboot and Download Ad-aware. Check for updates. Then Run the update Ad-aware.
  • Reboot. Run HijackThis and save the fresh log.

#9 Kristy

Kristy

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 08:26 AM

Thanks! Both links are currently down, so I will try again later...I've noticed that since following what you said Explorer is not starting at a blank page anymore and the popups have ceased...would this be a permanent change?

I will retry links in a few hours...

Cheers, Kristy

#10 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:17 AM

dllfix has been pulled by the author. Try the following procedure instead (I know you have run it in the past but please try it again):
  • Download reglite
  • install "Reglite" and run it, enter HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\ into the address bar.
  • Double click on AppInit_DLLs to open a "Data Editor" properties window, if the bottom textfield named "Value" contains a .dll file; then this is the hidden file you need to get rid off.
  • You should not be able to delete this file if you try to clear the value field, IMPORTANT: take note of the path and name of the .dll file. Write it down so you do not forget it.
  • Rename the Folder "Windows" (This is a purple "highlighted" folder in the left hand window) to NOTWINDOWS. Simply click on the folder, click on "Edit" in the menu bar and select "Rename".
  • Click AppInit_DLLs again and clear the value containing the .dll and ok it. This should have removed the .dll
  • Rename the windows folder back to its original name "Windows".
  • Run SpyBot, Ad-Aware and CWShredder
  • Check the following three links for instructions on downloading and running the applications listed:
  • Next step will be to remove this dll file so make sure you have it noted down.
  • Procedure 1
    • Download KillBox
    • Unzip and start the application
    • Paste in the dir <path and name of dll as found in the appinit value box> e.g. C:\Windows\System32\nameofdll.dll
    • Menu Select Action => Delete on Reboot
    • Select File => Add file <It should add the path automatically>
    • <Same Window> Select Action => Process and Reboot
  • Procedure 2 (If Procedure 1 did not work)
    • Click "Start" => "Run" and type in "cmd" (Without the quotations) and click on "Okay".
    • This will open a command window I will assume you have a basic knowledge of DOS if you have any problems at this point just write back I will outline the commands.
    • Type in dir <path and name of dll as found in the appinit value box> and press "Enter". You should see the name of the file listed.
    • Go to the system32 folder (This is where the .dll file will typically reside) and type attrib -R "nameofdll".dll
    • Carry out Procedure 1 again
  • Restart your computer in safemode (How do I boot into "Safe" mode?)
  • Open cmd window again as before
  • Type dir <path and name of dll as found in the appinit value box> and locate the dll name the dll should now have been removed and will not be listed.
  • While in safe mode, run the 3 ad-removal programs again, just to make sure all traces are gone.
  • Boot up your PC as normal and post a new HijackThis log into this message for further review.

#11 Kristy

Kristy

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 11:26 PM

Hi! I hope you have been well....here is my hijack log. Again, no .dll file turned up

Scan saved at 2:09:05 PM, on 23/06/2003

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost

#12 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 12:00 AM

The only infection I still see is purity scan.

Run HijackThis and delete:

Reboot into safe mode - How do I boot into "Safe" mode?

Delete the following files:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wnsapisv.exe
purityscan.exe <= You will need to search for this file

Run either of these free online virus scans.Post a fresh HijackThis log after you are done.

#13 Kristy

Kristy

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 01:49 AM

I could not find a file by the name of purityscan.exe, and I deleted the other file in Hijack This, but it was not to be found in my safe start. Thanks for all your help.

Scan saved at 4:48:24 PM, on 30/06/2003

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak software updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{49F9E61F-52D3-4714-B015-999C7722829D}: NameServer = 203.194.56.150 203.194.27.57
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{49F9E61F-52D3-4714-B015-999C7722829D}: NameServer = 203.194.56.150 203.194.27.57

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button