• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Harriet

Harriet

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:02 AM

Hi All,

I am a Windows newbie. Very new - crossed from Mac to PC just three days ago, I am already getting pop-upmessages about spyware.

Anyway,

I am a long-time user of MSN Messenger and AOL IM. From a spyware point-of-view, should I now refrain from using these programs on Windows?

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks,

Harriet

#2 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 03:12 AM

Welcome to windows...... I dont know about MSN Messenger but AIM does install's Windtangent and Weather Bug which are considered adware. I think the new version of AIM gives u an option to not install the adware that is bundled with the program. As with all instant messaging programs you should be aware of what you download through it. If you dont already know they have 2 great free tools for spyware and adware proctection which are Spybot 1.3 and Ad-Aware. You should also have you basic computer security (a good AV and firewall).

I hope this helps :thumbsup:

Spybot 1.3

Ad-Aware

Edited by Jrshaw62, 13 June 2004 - 03:13 AM.

#3 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:49 PM

I would recommend Trillian for your IM needs.

http://www.ceruleanstudios.com

If you're behind a router with NAT, you'll need something else for file transfers.

You may wish to look at Mozilla Firefox instead of IE. It has no security holes, doesn't integrate into the Windows shell (which is a bad thing due to the shell's control over the system), doesn't download anything without your approval, and doesn't get hijacked.

It also takes up less resources and uses tabs or new windows (tabs save desktop and taskbar space and make closing windows easier). It also comes with a built-in popup blocker as well as the ability to block images from servers (i.e. advertisements) with a right-click.

Firefox is immune to CWS in all its forms. You will _never_ get hijacked by CWS or any of its affiliates ever again if you use Firefox.

There's a link to it in my signature.

IE-SPYAD places over 4,000 known evil sites into the Restricted Sites zone in Internet Explorer so they can't execute ActiveX, Java, or place cookies on your machine. It's a rather nice thing to have. There's a link to it in my signature.

SpywareBlaster can prevent spyware from installing itself on your computer. It does require updating every now and again, but it's rather easy to operate. Just install, run, update, click "Protect," and you're done. Update once every month or so. There's a link in my signature.

You can also make your PC look and act kinda like a Mac using Windowblinds, ObjectDock, and Microangelo OnDisplay. To see an example of this, take a gander at my Win2K Pro-to-Mac OS X conversion:

http://www.tuxedojac...uxy-desktop.jpg
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button