• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bigjamesgti

bigjamesgti

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 10:37 AM

Hello all,
Ive only just registered here so forgive me if I seem like I know little or nothing about PC's.

I have just purchased a new PC after the previous one died. I have broadband but I dont think I had a firewall and I know I didnt have an anti-virus program. I d/l adaware and ran it every time I started and shut down the PC and every single time I ran it, it found various files and trackers etc etc, so I presume thats what eventually killed the PC. Towards the end it was going extremely slowly and the last straw was when the mouse pointer disappeared altogether and only half of every single icon loaded up !!

Anyway back on topic - The new PC I bought has an Athlon 2600 processor, 512 RAM, 48* DVD/CD Writer, CD Player, 128 bit Graphics card.

The guy put on a free AVG antivirus onto the PC for me and I dont presume for a minute that its any good as it was free !

The advice I am after is this - at the moment I run the antivirus whenever I start up or shutdown the PC and it searches the files etc.... Does the program actively search for viruses whils Im online ??? I dont think it does because I have to run it myself, but Im not sure, and if not how and where can I get a program that is active all the time which prevents viruses etc

Also I still get the odd pop-up or two - say one every 15 minutes, is this normal ?

Sorry my post is so long but I wanted to make sure I answered some questions before they were asked, if you see what I mean !!

Thanks for you help in advance

Big J.

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 10:40 AM

AVG is fine. It has a realtime scanner as well as the control center that you run manually. In Task Manager you will see it running in the background.

The AVG realtime scanner can be configured to scan your email as well as scanning downloaded files.

Popups: the best blocker I've ever tried comes with the free Google toolbar. toolbar.google.com

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 bigjamesgti

bigjamesgti

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 10:49 AM

You say that I can see it running in the background on task manager - Do I cntrl alt del to see this hapenning ??

I use winmx - how can I use AVG to check the files I d/l ? Or does it check them all automatically when they come into the Music folder?

Thanks for the link - I will try that when I get home.

#4 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 01:56 PM

The guy put on a free AVG antivirus onto the PC for me and I dont presume for a minute that its any good as it was free !

As CNM said, AVG is fine (I use it!) BUT it is only as good as the last update.
Remember to check that it is set up to update automatically, or update it manually at least once a week. I check for updates every couple of days.

I use winmx - how can I use AVG to check the files I d/l ? Or does it check them all automatically when they come into the Music folder?

AVG should check them when you actually try and do something with them. As a check, if you open the main control centre of AVG, you can perform a custom scan on any particular folder you select, so download the file to a known location, and then scan the folder.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#5 bigjamesgti

bigjamesgti

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 04:11 AM

good - so I just need to scan my "my music" file as thats where the d/l files go.

Should I check and scan applications I d/l like winamp winmx messenger etc ?

I do the updates whenever I start up so Im glad that Im doing the same as someone else who knows what they are on about !!

Thanks

#6 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 05:59 PM

Scanning application file as they are downloaded is not a bad idea, but if they were infected AVG would identify it when you tried to open the program.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#7 discogail

discogail

"All you need is a gorilla and a dream"

• Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:06 PM

Some other suggestions to keep this PC "alive" and kicking.............hope you find them helpful........
Stop IE hijacking before it happens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button