Alert! AtMPARSE.dll -- Hidden File Reinfects

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Shepherd

Shepherd

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 09:33 PM

Hi, I am a total novice on spywares. I got into your forum looking for answers to a persistent spyware that Ad-Aware identified as a vx2. I have noticed that a file in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AtMPARSE.dll (it has a "hidden" attribute) has been rewriting itself in the form of new filenames after you remove these files on boot or rename them, while itself being immune to killbox and remove-on-boot.

This may be the kernel from where the other dll's associated with the vx2 transponders arise.

Is there a way to remove this nasty dll? What is it linked to that makes it undeletable and unrenamable?

#2 aduncan

aduncan

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:15 PM

I think I've seen this one once before, and it was a pain to kill. I hope that I'm not getting yours confused with a different parasite. Anyways, I ended up doing an advanced file search and looked for files (system and hidden files as well) that are from the same date and approximate time. Some of them denied access and I had to either boot in safe mode to delete them, or use Spybot's Secure Shredder. The names were all similiar to each other for example the results would have something like AaMPARSE.dll, AbMPARSE.dll, AcMPARSE.dll, AdMPARSE.dll, etc. Note: there were also some legitimate files with similar names, but the date and time for these files distiguished them. They didn't show up in the file search, but I found them in the same folder, which was the system32. I think that there were some .exe files in the results as well, so when you search, search by the file date only and leave the file name at *.* I believe that there were a few startup items associated with it, and those should be elminated.

If it is the same thing I had found before, neither Ad-aware, Spybot, or Norton 2004 could remove it. I also found no help on this and had to figure it out on my own.

If you can identify it, let us know. I'm curious about where it came from or what it is.

Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button