Multiple copies of rundll32.dll running

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 nediver

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 03:20 AM

Any advice would be much appreciated!
A friends pc has developed a virtual memory problem. Within about a minute of switching the machine on it displays a message that it is running out of virtual memory and is attempting to create some more, it then crashes.

Looking in task manager this seems to be due to multiple (ie 20 to 30) copies of rundll32.dll being open.

Having looked though this site I git the impression this could be a spyware issue and my next step would be to use Spybot S&D.

My problem is that the pc would crash before I have a chance to instal or run the software.

Any ideas?

#2 roadrage

SWI Junkie

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 10:45 PM

What kind of System are you running Win 98, 2000, or XP

#3 nediver

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:24 AM

The machine is running XP home

#4 nediver

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:27 AM

I should add that I have now run spybot S&D, adaware and stinger (virus removal tool from symantec) in safe mode. I found and cleaned 3 viruses and lots of malware. However the computer is still exhibiting the same behaviour.

#5 Master Green

Master Green

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:03 AM

I will also try to lend some insight to this...As you may know by the sounds of things that the problem is related to something trying to access memory not allocated for it. Is it possible to recall what was recently downloaded/installed ? If so, can you uninstall it and there's a good chance that will alleviate the problem.

As for viruses or whatever the computer got, keep doing the spyware, etc, etc removals and at some point you have to make progress. Removing these things can be time consuming and aggravating...

Keep us posted...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button