Just wanted to no ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Batty_girl_123

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:20 AM

hello, on yahoo im just wondering why you have to disable our firewall, i think its a bit silly it just stops the protection on your computer :gasp: and lets people into your computer. thanks if any one can tell me why they do it, and willing to do so it would be a pleasure if they would explain thanks alot batty_girl_123

#2 cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:59 AM

Probably referring to the built-in XP firewall, which does not stop outgoing traffic, only incoming.

Most people use a software firewall instead. There are some good free ones.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here

#3 jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 03:16 PM

It is the Norton Internet Security 2004 Firewall she is referring to, which she has to turn off. The XP firewall we leave turned on though, that does not seem to interfere with Yahoo.
I am glad to see her text speak is a bit more under control. :wave:
Member of ASAP

#4 MaytagMan

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 02:30 AM

Yahoo messenger requires a port to be open on your computer in order to allow yahoo's message traffic to be let in. Much like a valve must be open for water to flow through. Firewalls tend to block all incoming ports to prevent attack. Thus, yahoo's messages wouldnt reach you, and the messenger would not work. If you can find out what port the messenger uses, you can usually open this port in your firewall's setup screen, leaving all your other ports protected. This port number should be on yahoo's website. Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button