Internet Banking-Problems with Mozilla and Opera

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spyware fighter

spyware fighter

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 12:30 PM

I have a problem with accessing Internet Banking with Mozilla 1.6 and Opera 7.51. I can login, but then the page is dispayed incorrectly, actually there is nothing on it accept a few lines. It seems that the browser cannot read java scripts properly...
I do have Opera version with Sun Java installed and cookies are enabled, except for the third party cookies.

Can this also be a problem in reading the encrypted page?

As to Mozilla, do I need to upgrade to the latest version? Or maybe I would not have this problem with Firefox? I am new to these browsers...

I will contact the support centre for IB, of course...

Can you please help?!!

Thanks! :scratchhead:

#2 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:01 AM

I have a problem with accessing Internet Banking with Mozilla 1.6 and Opera 7.51. I can login, but then the page is dispayed incorrectly, actually there is nothing on it accept a few lines. It seems that the browser cannot read java scripts properly...

What? If both mozilla and opera have problems what makes you think either of them are at fault? Probably a IE thing, too bad apparantly your bank only accepts IE customers. Mine doesn't. Perhaps you should change banks.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#3 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:49 PM

Banks are notorious for using custom scripting to do things and they are usually "optimized" for MSIE. Considering the problem I'm surprised you even got in. A lot of banks simply lock out any browser other than MSIE.
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

#4 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:37 AM

I guess I'm lucky, my bank supports Netscape too but not opera :)
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#5 spyware fighter

spyware fighter

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:43 PM

Well guys, you are right! I have checked with the support service... They do not support any other browser, but IE!!?? As I understood, even Netscape is not supported as they disagreed on some issues in the development of the software. Too bad as I really like Opera and I do not intend to give it up!

I think that I will use their Internet Banking only at work where administrators are taking care of patching insecure Microsoft software. :techsupport:

Their argument was also that the majority of the users are browsing with IE. And they cannot support all open source software that is being developed (?!).

Well, maybe there is something wrong with me, but I never liked being in the so-called 'majority', especially since almost every PC (belonging to my family or friends) that I recently see has quite a lot of garbage (adware, spyware, dialers etc) in it. :eek: Since I have changed the browser I am not infected by anything anymore!!!

However, the Internet Banking of the other bank (I am their customer as well) can be accessed by both browsers! :D

Maybe I should now start thinking about switching to Linux! As soon as I can...
:bounce:

#6 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 04:02 PM

Well, even though you don't use IE, it is still on your machine and you should keep it updated to protect your machine overall! Since it is still there, you could use it for your banking only.

Posted Image
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight -- it's the size of the fight in the dog."

#7 Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing

Donut Patron

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 04:05 PM

Their argument was also that the majority of the users are browsing with IE. And they cannot support all open source software that is being developed

That ranks among the dumbest thing I heard. If they actualy knew how to make a webpage properly, they would be able to support other browsers. -_-
Rights are never important until you don't have them.

#8 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 07:45 PM

The majority of their users are using IE because their web site doesn't work in anything else.

Tell them to hire a designer that knows what the hell he's doing and it will work in any browser out there. SSL encryption works in any damned browser on the market. There are industry standards for web design. If they would design their site against those standards, they wouldn't have to lose customers who can't use it.
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button