hijaker help needed...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 medicmojo

medicmojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 12:11 AM

Hello - I am new to this forum, but have used info from the site before......thanks very much for all that previous help.

I have read the FAQ section, and have tried running through the hijacker fixes listed. I have also run Spybot S & D (fresh download/current), and Ad-aware 6.0 - neither seems to come up with any problems.

I can try and reset internet options as often as I like, but always returns to this page:

res://cqzem.dll/index.html#96676

Oddly enough, the original hijack late this afternoon involved going to a page with "kwwle.ddl" in the name - after doing some of the fixes listed, I now get sent to the "cqzem" page.

Any ideas from anyone??? :wtf:

Thanks in advance!! :D

Here is the HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 11:09:43 PM, on 14/06/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\EPSON\ESM2\eEBSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntnp.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\TELUS eCare\bin\mpbtn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
A:\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\cqzem.dll/sp.html#96676
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://cqzem.dll/index.html#96676
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://cqzem.dll/index.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\cqzem.dll/sp.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = res://cqzem.dll/index.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\cqzem.dll/sp.html#96676
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {F3B901D1-3AC6-2D8C-183D-6BFCBCEC7405} - C:\WINDOWS\ntdg32.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ntnp.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntnp.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - Startup: BHODemon.lnk = C:\Program Files\BHODemon\BHODemon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Background Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\EPSON\ESM2\STMS.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: TELUS eCare.lnk = C:\Program Files\TELUS eCare\bin\matcli.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &iSearch The Web - res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {3E68E405-C6DE-49FF-83AE-41EE9F4C36CE} (Office Update Installation Engine) - http://office.micros...ontent/opuc.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupd...8133.5704282407
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macr...ash/swflash.cab

#2 medicmojo

medicmojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:23 PM

bump.....

#3 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:35 AM

:) Being your first post - I get the honour and privilege of welcoming you to our corner of the world where spyware has met it's match - Welcome.

Just so that you know you are not being ignored - I will handle this case for you but I need to ask for your patience while I review the log

Please keep an eye on this message for a resolution shortly.

#4 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:46 AM

• Make sure your settings allow you to view "Hidden files". Open up any explorer windows and click on "Tools" => "Folder Options" => "View" and be sure to check off "Show Hidden Files and Folders".
  • Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete once => Click Task Manager => Click the Processes tab => Double-click the Image Name column header to alphabetically sort the processes => Scroll through the list and look for "msvc.exe" & "ntnp.exe". If you find the files, click on them, and then click End Process => Exit the Task Manager.
  • Next, go to Start->Run and type "Services.msc" (without quotes) then hit OK.
  • Scroll down and find the service called "Network Security Service".
  • When you find it, double-click on it. In the next window that opens, click the Stop button, then change the Startup Type to Disabled. Now hit Apply and then OK and close any open windows.
  • Run HijackThis, click on "Scan" and then place a check mark in the following boxes, And click on "Fix Checked":
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\cqzem.dll/sp.html#96676
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://cqzem.dll/index.html#96676
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://cqzem.dll/index.html#96676
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\cqzem.dll/sp.html#96676
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = res://cqzem.dll/index.html#96676
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\cqzem.dll/sp.html#96676
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {F3B901D1-3AC6-2D8C-183D-6BFCBCEC7405} - C:\WINDOWS\ntdg32.dll
  • Reboot into Safe Mode - How do I boot into "Safe" mode?, and delete the following files:
    C:\WINDOWS\cqzem.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\ntdg32.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvc.exe
  • Go to Start => Run and type in "regedit" (without quotes) and press "Enter".
  • One the registry opens, Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\__NS_Service_3
    If __NS_Service_3 exists , right click on it and choose delete from the menu.
    [8}Still in the registry, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY___NS_Service_3
    If LEGACY___NS_Service_3 exists then right click on it and choose delete from the menu.
  • Exit regedit and reboot in Normal Mode.
  • Run HiJackThis again and post a new log in this thread.

#5 medicmojo

medicmojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for your quick reply and instructions! I was able to go through them all and followed them correctly.

When I rebooted in normal mode and conneccted to the internet, here is the new start page I was taken to:

res://jpdzq.dll/index.html#96676

I also found it interesting that I was unable to link onto the forum page to post this message.......my browser would take forever, and then give an "unable to find page" warning message, and in the address line would be a variation of the above start page???? I had to go through the link in my email message.....

Before I ran HiJackThis again, it occurred to me that I may not have done it properly before.....my sincere apologies. At some point I had saved HJT to a floppy disc, and I ran it from there - so I am not sure if it scanned all that it should have for my first post. Here is the new log, with HJT run directly of the computer - I have a feeling it looks a lot different:

Scan saved at 9:39:16 AM, on 18/06/2004

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\mfcvx.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\yopwb.dll/sp.html#37049
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://yopwb.dll/index.html#37049
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://yopwb.dll/index.html#37049
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\yopwb.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = res://yopwb.dll/index.html#37049
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\yopwb.dll/sp.html#37049
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {935BB868-D573-FCBF-9F0F-F1E0E429CD01} - C:\WINDOWS\appdp32.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 3.9\THGuard.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [sysxt.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysxt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [javavp.exe] C:\WINDOWS\javavp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [iezr.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\iezr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [mfcqr.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\mfcqr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [atlll32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\atlll32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [d3wy32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3wy32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [apifs.exe] C:\WINDOWS\apifs.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [appgx.exe] C:\WINDOWS\appgx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [d3dv32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3dv32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [appav32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\appav32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [crxl.exe] C:\WINDOWS\crxl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [crck.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\crck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [winvz32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\winvz32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [d3xo32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\d3xo32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [netqw32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\netqw32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [ipwv32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\ipwv32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [ntdt32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdt32.exe
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Background Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\EPSON\ESM2\STMS.exe
O4 - Global Startup: TELUS eCare.lnk = C:\Program Files\TELUS eCare\bin\matcli.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &iSearch The Web - res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {3E68E405-C6DE-49FF-83AE-41EE9F4C36CE} (Office Update Installation Engine) - http://office.micros...ontent/opuc.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupd...8133.5704282407
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macr...ash/swflash.cab

#6 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 10:58 AM

Because of the time frame - Your system had many other issues and the main infection has changed as your system has been rebooted since the post so we'll have to start over.
  • Make sure your settings allow you to view "Hidden files". Open up any explorer windows and click on "Tools" => "Folder Options" => "View" and be sure to check off "Show Hidden Files and Folders".
  • Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete once => Click Task Manager => Click the Processes tab => Double-click the Image Name column header to alphabetically sort the processes => Scroll through the list and look for "mfcvx.exe" & "ntnp.exe". If you find the files, click on them, and then click End Process => Exit the Task Manager.
  • When you find it, double-click on it. In the next window that opens, click the Stop button, then change the Startup Type to Disabled. Now hit Apply and then OK and close any open windows.
  • Run HijackThis, click on "Scan" and then place a check mark in the following boxes, And click on "Fix Checked":
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\yopwb.dll/sp.html#37049
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://yopwb.dll/index.html#37049
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://yopwb.dll/index.html#37049
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\yopwb.dll/sp.html#37049
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = res://yopwb.dll/index.html#37049
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\yopwb.dll/sp.html#37049
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {935BB868-D573-FCBF-9F0F-F1E0E429CD01} - C:\WINDOWS\appdp32.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [sysxt.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysxt.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [javavp.exe] C:\WINDOWS\javavp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [iezr.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\iezr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [mfcqr.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\mfcqr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [atlll32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\atlll32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [d3wy32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3wy32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [apifs.exe] C:\WINDOWS\apifs.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [appgx.exe] C:\WINDOWS\appgx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [d3dv32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3dv32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [appav32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\appav32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [crxl.exe] C:\WINDOWS\crxl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [crck.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\crck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [winvz32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\winvz32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [d3xo32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\d3xo32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [netqw32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\netqw32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [ipwv32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\ipwv32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [ntdt32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdt32.exe
  • Reboot into Safe Mode - How do I boot into "Safe" mode?, and delete the following files:
    C:\WINDOWS\appdp32.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\yopwb.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysxt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\javavp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\iezr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\mfcqr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\atlll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3wy32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\apifs.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\appgx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3dv32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\appav32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\crxl.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\crck.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winvz32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\d3xo32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\netqw32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\ipwv32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdt32.exe
  • One the registry opens, Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\__NS_Service_3
    [8}Still in the registry, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY___NS_Service_3
    If LEGACY___NS_Service_3 exists then right click on it and choose delete from the menu.

#7 medicmojo

medicmojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 05:07 PM

Thanks again for your quick reply - sorry if I complicated things with the HiJackThis program not being run porperly the first time. Again, I followed all the steps as you outlined.

Some interesting things I noticed........
- I did not have any of the R1, R0, and O2 lines in the HJT log you wanted me to delete. All the others were done.
- when deleting files in safemode, I could not find "mfcvx.exe" in the WINDOWS folder, or "ntnp.exe" in the system32 folder. All others were found and deleted.
- in the regedit process of safemode, I was unable to delete the "LEGACY_NS_Service_3" key within the HKEY/LOCA_MACHINE track. An "error deleting this key message" popped up.
- when I rebooted in normal mode, a series of warning boxes popped up that windows was unable to find........ and listed the majority of the files I deleted from the HJT log as you asked.

After OKing all the warnings boxes, everything seemed to load properly, and on conncecting to the internet, here was the new start page:
res://mpaye.dll/index.html#96676

And, finally - here is the current HiJackThis log:

Scan saved at 3:57:42 PM, on 18/06/2004

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\iesu.exe
C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 3.9\THGuard.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\mpaye.dll/sp.html#96676
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://mpaye.dll/index.html#96676
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://mpaye.dll/index.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\mpaye.dll/sp.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = res://mpaye.dll/index.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\mpaye.dll/sp.html#96676
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {A81B07C1-A593-05C3-6C89-99E2C869B7B2} - C:\WINDOWS\mslu32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [mfcvx.exe] C:\WINDOWS\mfcvx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [msek.exe] C:\WINDOWS\msek.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000

#8 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 05:43 PM

• Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete once => Click Task Manager => Click the Processes tab => Double-click the Image Name column header to alphabetically sort the processes => Scroll through the list and look for "iesu.exe" & "ntnp.exe". If you find the files, click on them, and then click End Process => Exit the Task Manager.
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\mpaye.dll/sp.html#96676
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://mpaye.dll/index.html#96676
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://mpaye.dll/index.html#96676
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\mpaye.dll/sp.html#96676
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = res://mpaye.dll/index.html#96676
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\mpaye.dll/sp.html#96676
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {A81B07C1-A593-05C3-6C89-99E2C869B7B2} - C:\WINDOWS\mslu32.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [mfcvx.exe] C:\WINDOWS\mfcvx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\mpaye.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\mslu32.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\msek.exe
  • Still in the registry, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY___NS_Service_3
  • Two files (Possibly three) were also deleted from your computer and need to be replaced.
    • control.exe - Go to Merijn Files (control) and download the version of control.exe for your operating system. If you are running Windows 2000, copy it to c:\winnt\system32\. For Windows XP, copy it to c:\windows\system32\.
    • Download the Hoster from here. Press "Restore Original Hosts" and press "OK". Exit Program.
    • If you have Spybot S&D installed you will also need to replace one file. Go here: Merijn's Files (sdhelper) and download SDHelper.dll. Copy the file to the folder containing you Spybot S&D program (normally C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy)

#9 medicmojo

medicmojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 11:51 PM

Sorry for the delay in doing things on my end here.....worked night shift last night, and then a family event today.

So - once again, I followed instructions as outlined.

Odd things noted:
- new start page again: res://fgmxz.dll/index.html
- in safe mode deleting, in the system32 folder, I was unable to delete the "iesu.exe" - got an "access denied" warning box
- in the reg edit procedure, I was unable to delete the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY___NS_Service_3 " - got an "error deleting this key" warning box
- I downloaded the hoster file, but when I tried to run the program, I got a "Do not appear to have a host file - hoster will exit now" warning box

Here is the current HJT log- thanks again!

Scan saved at 10:44:31 PM, on 19/06/2004

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\apiom32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msiexec.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\fgmxz.dll/sp.html#96676
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://fgmxz.dll/index.html#96676
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://fgmxz.dll/index.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\fgmxz.dll/sp.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = res://fgmxz.dll/index.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\fgmxz.dll/sp.html#96676
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {19A743FF-D985-0DCF-CFC2-5DE372D16830} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\netek32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [apiom32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\apiom32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe

#10 pod-boy

pod-boy

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 12:17 AM

Ah, the curse of the recurring hijacker. However, I think I have some insights and a solution (which, at least, worked for me). Thanks to member chrisgaltieri who posted some advice a few days ago that worked for me. cg identified that the reason the hijacking app is so hard to remove is that it spawns randomly named .exe .dll and .dat files into your system. More on this later.

Now, first of all, all the advice about running HijackThis, identifying running processes, restarting in safe mode, using Spybot, adaware etc is all definitely necessary and must be followed - see the other posts about this in the forum.

But, from what I can see, people are using these approaches and yet the pesky evilware (it's so bad it's worse than malware) is coming back and back and back.

I'm no geek and so I can't be 100% sure why my solution (based on chris's advice) works, nor (unless I deliberately reinfest my computer...no thanks!) can I replicate and document... HOWEVER...this should work.

Follow the excellent advice re running HJT, identifying the files, restarting in safe mode, then run HJT and discover the problem files. Write down the names of the files which are causing the problem; using explorer go find out their sizes and dates of creation. Use HJT to fix them. Reboot in safe mode. Then go looking in the following directories

C:/Windows and C:/windows/system32

you are first of all looking for a file called javabi.exe; this file is referred to in the service called Network Security Service (which can be found by running services.msc from the Start...Run... dialog box). I believe, from what I've read in these forums that this is the heart of the problem. You need to delete this file. Unless someone more expert than me (which is probably a fair few) can tell me otherwise, I think this is the executable that spawns the random files noted above.

*ADDED* - checking some other posts, this file also might have a different name... run services.msc, check the propoerties of Network Security Service and see what the file is called.

You now have to play detective. In the two directories will be some .dat, .dll and .exe files which appear to be okay but are not. They will have random names similar to those which Hijackthis found last time; their sizes will be identical to the ones you've deleted. Normally, these sizes are around the 12K, 28K, 86K though, I think, there was a 19K one in there too. Using explorer, you can check the properties of the file...I bet you find the 'version' information is blank - most files in these directories should have a company name in them (usually Microsoft). Delete the things that look dodgy and trust you've not dumped something you need.

Then reboot in safe mode and run HJT again.

There's probably more to this story than I can tell here...try this approach and let me know if it helps?

a humble user, grateful to people here for advice received.

Edited by pod-boy, 20 June 2004 - 12:21 AM.

#11 medicmojo

medicmojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 05:27 PM

pod-boy & PGPhantom ...thanks for your input.

I "tried" to do a few things you mentioned - not sure if they worked or not. The reason I say "tried" is because I am certainly not a whiz when it comes to computers. I did find the file name for the Network Security Service - "iesu.exe" - and once I stopped the service, I was able to delete the file. I tried to run HJT while in safe mode, and fixed the R0 and R1 files that matched the start page I was always going to. When I connected to the net this time, up came the "about/blank" in the address bar, but the page was completely blank.

Here is my current HJT log:

Scan saved at 4:21:57 PM, on 20/06/2004

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\apprb.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {DB0880F3-861D-7F3F-EE94-F47D9A710E14} - C:\WINDOWS\atlln.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [apprb.exe] C:\WINDOWS\apprb.exe
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab

#12 medicmojo

medicmojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 09:35 AM

Happy Monday to everyone!

OK - without having done anything (spyware removal stuff) since yesterday's post, here is my HJT log as of right now. I can even notice that the R1 and R0 entries are changing, and these always seem to be related to the hijack start page I go to. I turned my computer off completely last night - is that what causes the new entries (a new "spawn") when you turn it back on again? Should I be leaving the computer turned on all the time until this gets fixed?

I have to admit, on the one hand, this seems to be a relatively minor hijack compared to some of the others I have read about here. It simply resets my initial start/home page, and throws in a few pop ups ("Only the Best"), but allows me to carry on from there without difficulty. More of an inconvenience than anything else....

Anyhow, here is that HJT log - thanks:

Scan saved at 8:29:31 AM, on 21/06/2004

Running processes:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\wttou.dll/sp.html#96676
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://wttou.dll/index.html#96676
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://wttou.dll/index.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\wttou.dll/sp.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = res://wttou.dll/index.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\wttou.dll/sp.html#96676
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {573CB0AD-66BE-4CDC-ED99-366A5168E589} - C:\WINDOWS\mfcuo.dll
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab

#13 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 09:42 AM

Stop rebooting your system until I have posted a fix. Everytime you reboot, the fix is null and void as the files change. Also, please do not follow advice of anyone other than helpers, experts, admins etc.

I'll post a fix in 5 minutes.

#14 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 09:44 AM

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {573CB0AD-66BE-4CDC-ED99-366A5168E589} - C:\WINDOWS\mfcuo.dll
  • Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete once => Click Task Manager => Click the Processes tab => Double-click the Image Name column header to alphabetically sort the processes => Scroll through the list and look for "apprb.exe" & "apiom32.exe". If you find the files, click on them, and then click End Process => Exit the Task Manager.
  • Delete the following files:
    C:\WINDOWS\mfcuo.dll
  • Restart your computer.
  • After you have restarted your computer please download About:Buster by RubbeRDuckY from here or from here . Save it to your desktop. Unzip it and start it. Read the Message that popsup (which is directions.). You have done most of it. Now hit start. Start up internet explorer and copy ALL THE TEXT in the address bar. Then in the white box paste the text and hit Ok. It should work.
  • Then please restart your computer and post a new Hijack this log.

#15 medicmojo

medicmojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 10:46 PM

PGPhantom - I apologize for not checking my actual thread the last 2 days....I had been relying on the "track" alert sent direct to my email address to let me know a post had been made. I did not get any of those for the past few days, so I assumed nothing had come in. My mistake - although when I checked my preferences, the tracking function was still active.

Also - just now read the post on the types of helpers you officially have - I guess pod-boy does not fit in those categories??

Anyhow, I will get to the tasks you outline......although I suspect some of the files have changed again!!! I will post a fresh HJT log shortly, and NOT reboot until I see your fix message.

Thanks for your patience.....

#16 medicmojo

medicmojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 11:31 PM

OK - I think I have caught up to what you wanted me to do....

Couple of things I noticed:
- I could not find the O2 - BHO you listed in your last post for me to remove (probably because I had rebooted since)
- also, I was unable to delete the apprb.exe and apiom32.exe files manually - got an "access denied" warning box

I ran the About Buster program - ended up doing so 5 times before I quit...the first time it removed many files, then after that it seemed to only do one or two.....should I have kept on going until it did not remove anything?? Do you need to see the log - I saved each one on a word doc.

And, here is the current HJT log:

Scan saved at 10:24:33 PM, on 23/06/2004

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\syszf.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {3202B39B-A35B-BCEE-9DB0-68ED2C239785} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\crgy.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [atlln.exe] C:\WINDOWS\atlln.exe

#17 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:49 AM

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {3202B39B-A35B-BCEE-9DB0-68ED2C239785} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\crgy.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [atlln.exe] C:\WINDOWS\atlln.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\atlln.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\crgy.dll
  • Reboot and post a fresh HijackThis log for further review.

#18 medicmojo

medicmojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 11:24 PM

OK - done....here is the fresh HJT log:

Scan saved at 10:21:40 PM, on 24/06/2004

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntiz.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\safgl.dll/sp.html#96676
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://safgl.dll/index.html#96676
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://safgl.dll/index.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\safgl.dll/sp.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = res://safgl.dll/index.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\safgl.dll/sp.html#96676
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7102DB64-6D5A-007D-9967-B48F49B041BD} - C:\WINDOWS\addmo32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ntiz.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntiz.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [syszf.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\syszf.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [systl.exe] C:\WINDOWS\systl.exe

#19 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 09:44 AM

This cursed infection of re:// will be the death of me yet...
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7102DB64-6D5A-007D-9967-B48F49B041BD} - C:\WINDOWS\addmo32.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [syszf.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\syszf.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [systl.exe] C:\WINDOWS\systl.exe
  • Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete once => Click Task Manager => Click the Processes tab => Double-click the Image Name column header to alphabetically sort the processes => Scroll through the list and look for "ntiz.exe" & "syszf.exe". If you find the files, click on them, and then click End Process => Exit the Task Manager.
    C:\WINDOWS\addmo32.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\systl.exe
  • Restart your computer.
  • After you have restarted your computer please download About:Buster by RubbeRDuckY from here or from here . Save it to your desktop. Unzip it and start it. Read the Message that popsup (which is directions.). You have done most of it. Now hit start. Start up internet explorer and copy ALL THE TEXT in the address bar. Then in the white box paste the text and hit Ok. It should work.

#20 medicmojo

medicmojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:03 AM

OK - done! I noticed that after running AboutBuster, the IE start page this time was google.ca.....

Also, some of the listings seemed to change in the HJT log from last night to when I went to scan/fix per your instructions this morning. Nobody used the computer in between, and I did not do a reboot. So, some of the files you asked me to delete were not there.

Here is the fresh HJT log:

Scan saved at 10:01:02 AM, on 25/06/2004

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\d3we.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\kycms.dll/sp.html#96676
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://kycms.dll/index.html#96676
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://kycms.dll/index.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\kycms.dll/sp.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = res://kycms.dll/index.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\kycms.dll/sp.html#96676
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {241F4AD4-BEDA-EE12-A99D-3A6CB9B33A5F} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msnw32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [ntzm.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntzm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [appeo32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\appeo32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [d3we.exe] C:\WINDOWS\d3we.exe

#21 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:25 AM

Let's try with these settings:
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {241F4AD4-BEDA-EE12-A99D-3A6CB9B33A5F} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msnw32.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [ntzm.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntzm.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [appeo32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\appeo32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [d3we.exe] C:\WINDOWS\d3we.exe
  • Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete once => Click Task Manager => Click the Processes tab => Double-click the Image Name column header to alphabetically sort the processes => Scroll through the list and look for "ntiz.exe" & "d3we.exe". If you find the files, click on them, and then click End Process => Exit the Task Manager.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntzm.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\appeo32.exe
  • Restart your computer.

#22 medicmojo

medicmojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 04:48 PM

OK - done those things......however none of these files were there for me to delete, after fixing them in the HJT log first:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntzm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\appeo32.exe

Ran AboutBuster (removed a lot of files), and here is the new HJT log:

Scan saved at 3:44:52 PM, on 25/06/2004

Running processes:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {8D5677A8-8EC4-A206-E11B-F72C0B1F7287} - C:\WINDOWS\netia32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [d3sg32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3sg32.exe

#23 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 08:13 PM

The following lines are part of different Trojans
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {8D5677A8-8EC4-A206-E11B-F72C0B1F7287} - C:\WINDOWS\netia32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [d3sg32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3sg32.exe

Download, install and run Tojan Hunter (Trial).

After it has run, run HijackThis and see if the entries are still there, if so, delete in HijackThis and then delete the corresponding files. Please post a fresh HijackThis log afterwards so we can confirm that everything is clean.

#24 medicmojo

medicmojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 03:58 PM

Alright.......unfortunately, my wife turned off the computer last night while I was at work - DOH! However, I still found the 3 files you listed above in the HJT log I ran today - but the R1/0 lists have definitely changed again.

I ran Trojan Hunter - and it picks up this "possible trojan":
- C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntap32.exe (I am unable to find it in that loaction to manually delete???!!!)

as well as these 2 listings:
- C:\System Volume Information\_restore{91CD6C8B-EE84-4050-B5B6-E9E5EAB9EA28}\RP64\A0009640.exe/1paZ.exe (Possible trojan downloader)
- C:\System Volume Information\_restore{91CD6C8B-EE84-4050-B5B6-E9E5EAB9EA28}\RP64\A0009635.exe/TvI6Ta.exe (Possible trojan downloader)

I was not sure what to do with the last 2 - becasue the "system volume information" title is scary! So, I left them alone for now.

I have also downloaded spyware blaster 3.1 from the link list in your signature block, and now it is running on my system.

Here is the current HJT log:

Scan saved at 2:49:44 PM, on 26/06/2004

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntap32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\iesy.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\bswbl.dll/sp.html#96676
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://bswbl.dll/index.html#96676
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://bswbl.dll/index.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\bswbl.dll/sp.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = res://bswbl.dll/index.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\bswbl.dll/sp.html#96676
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E7CE6792-3A0F-7F24-39AB-196D1DEFE957} - C:\WINDOWS\msvs.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ntap32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntap32.exe

#25 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 01:28 AM

When you are ready, please post a new HijackThis log as you cannot reboot, turn off or log off until the resolution has been done as the files will change and we will just be doing this over into infinity.

As for the files ... Disable System restore as per the instructions here. Reboot and then follow the same instructions to reenable system restore and reboot again to reset the restore point.

#26 medicmojo

medicmojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 06:44 PM

OK - I am back......

My wife is now aware of the problem, and will not shut the computer off until I say so.....or something like that!!! LOL

Anyhow, since you last posted PGPhantom, I have done the following:
- rebooted in safe mode and ran AboutBuster, SpyBot, CWShredder, AdAware (most current build and ref file loaded), and Norton AV
- turned off System Restore, rebooted, etc as per your instructions.

I have also been reading some of the other posts (yours and others), and followed a few of those instructions/hints. I now have Zone Alarm running, even though I use an external router box. I also installed the Google Toolbar.

Here is the new HJT log:

Scan saved at 5:36:26 PM, on 27/06/2004

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html

#27 medicmojo

medicmojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 06:53 PM

Well.....at the risk of being premature - things seem to be looking good on my end!!! The homepage redirect is not happening, and it sticks with whatever I set it as. Also, none of the pop ups.

Of course, it has only been 10 mins!!

Still would like your comments on the HJT log.....

#28 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 08:07 PM

That is a really bad entry - It is typical of the dame infection. PLease remove it using HijackThis and then delete the corresponding file.

#29 medicmojo

medicmojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:09 PM

I recognized that file as a bad one too - from your previous posts. However, as has happened in the past, I cannot find on that path. I tried searching it out using the "search file", but was unable to locate it.

Here is the HJT log now - but all I did was remove that file in the HJT fix......should I try and reboot, or something else???

Scan saved at 9:07:17 PM, on 27/06/2004

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.mytelus.com/home_page.html
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Window Washer] C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\wwDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Index Washer] C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\WashIdx.exe "Mike"
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [Index Washer] C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\WashIdx.exe "Mike"
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html

#30 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:31 AM

Your log is looking clean :)

The following is a recommended maintenance regime for Windows XP:
  • The following DIRECTORY CONTENTS (But not the directory), need to be regularly emptied. Make sure your settings allow you to view "Hidden files". Open up any explorer windows and click on "Tools" => "Folder Options" => "View" and be sure to check off "Show Hidden Files and Folders". Click on "Apply to All Folders" and then respond "Yes" when prompted and click on "OK" to apply the change.
    • %windir%\prefetch\
    • %windir%\Temp\
    • %temp%\
    • %userprofile%\Local Settings\Temp\
    • C:\Documents and Settings\<Any other users Profile>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\
    • C:\Documents and Settings\<Any other users Profile>\Local Settings\Temp\
  • Click on "Start" => "Settings" => "Control Panel" => "Internet Options". Click on "Delete Files", select "Delete All Offline Content" and click on "OK". Click on "OK" once more to close the options panel.
  • Right click on "Recycle Bin" and select "Empty Recycle Bin" and respond "Yes" when prompted.
  • Back-Up your files. You can use Windows backup which must be installed from the XP CD <cd-Drive>\valuadd\msft\ntbackup. Be sure to back up the following:
    • Office documents
    • Email data - Messages and address book
    • Games saves.
    • Digital Photos and other artwork.
    • Moveis that you have created or edited.
    • MP3's and other music files.
    • Browser favorites and bookmarks.
    • Downloaded files/programs.
    • Passwords, security codes etc for anything that is password protected like Quicken.
    • Activation codes for applications doownloaded and registered.
  • Do not go without an anti-virus program. Free ones include:
  • Be sure to run a periodic Trojan Scan with any of the following programs:
  • Use a Firewall such as ZoneAlarm
  • Regularly scan for adware and spyware using the following programs:
  • Defragment your system. Click on "Start" => "Programs" => "Accessories" => "System Tools" => "Disk Defragmenter".
  • Update your system. Go to Microsoft Windows Update and download all critical updates for your system.
  • Cleanup Your Disk. Click on "Start" => "Programs" => "Accessories" => "System Tools" => "Disk Cleanup".
  • Clear your icon cache. Delete the following file: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\IconCache.db. Reboot.

#31 medicmojo

medicmojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 12:31 PM

I was hoping so!!! Thanks VERY MUCH for all your help and patience......very much appreciated. I will read through and follow your final instructions...

I am going to turn off the computer now, and we shall see what happens - wish me luck!

Thanks again,
Mike

#32 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 01:10 PM

It has been a pleasure to help you :)

The problems here look to be resolved so I will close the thread. If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team an email with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

If you would like to make a contribution to help support SpywareInfo, please check this link for more information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button