5 replies to this topic

#1 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:48 AM

HIjacked by cws about:blank. CWShredder said it had killed it but it didn't and now won't detect it. Spybot won't touch it. AVG won't either. Don't know enough to start chopping away at Hijack This results or registry, have tried this approach and all that happened was disc defrag stopped responding! So, has anyone got some (idiot-proof) method to kill this thing? CWShredder has always done it before and if the kill programs don't work I'm at the limit of what to do.
Am seriously considering remodelling my hard drive with a hammer! :techsupport:

Am using win ME + explorer 6. About:blank seems to come with ad popups and I'm
also getting an assortment of error notices, system slowdown too. Won't post scan results unless asked too, but I really need help with this one. I'm new to this site so I don't really know what else to do, and the replies to others with similar problems don't make too much sense. Adaware recognises some CWS variants and fixes them but this bit of **** just comes right back. Also get dialers installed on startup, when scans before shutdown showed clean. Is this down to about:blank? And if anyone knows how to kill it, how do I block it? Am baffled. :scratchhead:
Oh yeah, and how do I fix the defrag!!
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#2 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 08:38 AM

in answer to my own question I have found a way to get rid of about:blank. see my new topic, about:blank, its dead at last for details :wave:
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#3 BP2004

BP2004

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 08:59 AM

So how did you kill it?

#4 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:13 AM

how? AdAware custom settings. Explorer patches and critical updates from microsoft. Editting HKEY current user and local machine setting from about:blank back to the ones I wanted. Spyware blaster 'tools' homepage options, and doing the same things over and over til they worked. I've got rid of 2 about:blank variants and they haven't come back but its very long-winded so let me know if you want to know the details as I'm not going to put it all down if noone reads it. :oops:
jedi

#5 G-Money

G-Money

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:16 AM

I'll read it....I'm getting pissed that I can't get this thing off of my machine. Can you help me out?

#6 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 12:33 PM

G-Money. Fair enough, I was ready to trash my hard-drive in frustration too.
Here goes. If you haven't got AdAware download it from www.lavasoft.com. click on the gear icon. check these options;
general- automatically save logfile-automatically quarantine objects prior to removal
scanning-scan within archives-scan active processes-scan registry-deep scan registry-scan my ie favorites for banned sites- scan my hosts files
tweaks/scanning engine-unload recognised processes during scanning
tweaks/cleaning engine-automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion-let windows remove files in use after reboot.

then scan with the deep scan option, delete everything it finds. reboot. doing this got rid of one CWS variant i had, on the second try. If you are lucky this will work,
if not come back to me and I'll give you the other stuff. :thumbsup:
Oh yeah, if it does go get the explorer patch Q831167 from microsoft updates

Edited by jedi, 28 June 2004 - 12:35 PM.

jedi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button