smart-security hijack

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jedihogg

jedihogg

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:33 AM

I have panicware pop up blocker and spyware S&D 1.3. However a spyware or hijack got through that set itself up as the background appearance on my monitor, promoting "smart-securities" as a software download that will protect you against "spyware"! Has taken over the entire background of monitor and can't get rid of it. I did get rid of ads and pics but the file remains downloaded on the background and maintains simply a blank appearance

Have run spybot and cw shredder. The shredder fixed the redirection to the website but not the appearance. Cannot over-ride with system backgrounds either.

Very frustarated. Anyone dealt with this?

#2 DIGIWIBBS

DIGIWIBBS

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:45 AM

yeah i can't fix it

#3 saul

saul

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 12:13 PM

Caught me yesterday. Haven't found it yet either. Hope someone comes up with a solution soon. Is it slowing down your whole computer? Its making mine run slow as a snail.

#4 DDTW

DDTW

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 12:17 PM

You have to open the Themes and Appearance in the Control panel Then change the desktop background. Then click customize desktop then click on the web tab then delete any html files there that aren't supposed to be if you haven't said otherwise there should be none there

#5 jedihogg

jedihogg

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:49 PM

Yes DDTW that is the kicker...run cw shredder then go in manually thru control panel - display - desktop - customize - and kick out the bad html...I'm clean now THANKS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button