• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Claudia

Claudia

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 09:20 PM

Hi,

Is there some kind of program (a good one that works) to delete unnecesary files? i have a lot of hidden files and a lot more that are not hidden that are flying around my pc, every folder that i open (my pictures,my music, c:/) there are a lot of these files some of them won't even open because doesn't recognize the program but it says that they are system files or .ph, configuration settings, etc. i really want to clean my pc from all this junk or to put them all in one folder but scared that maybe i'll delete something that i need.

So if anyone nows of a good program please post the link it would be very much apreciated

Thank you very much in advance :)
~七laudia才

#2 edsod

edsod

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 02:02 AM

It's hard to tell from your description what are these files...

First of all make sure that you have not a virus in your PC.
Scan with an updated Antivirus program.
AVG is a free one http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl7.php

After that scan for spyware with Adaware.
http://majorgeeks.co...oad.php?det=506

If all come clean,post back
:)

Edited by edsod, 19 May 2004 - 02:10 AM.

#3 Claudia

Claudia

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 02:30 AM

Hi Edsod, thank you for the reply

The thing is that my pc is clean from virus or spyware i got help here about 2 weeks ago when i got the sasser worm and some spyware, and at the end my HJT log looked clean, my pc isn't acting strange or anything but i really want to get rid of all the mess that i have and of those strange files that appeared suddenly and are everywhere on my pc for example on my documents i have a hpothb07 Dat file and a desktop configuration settings file, and on all of my other folders like my pictures folder , etc i have the desktop config file, but it looks kind of strange because they don't appear to have color, what i mean is i think they are hidden files because of the way they look (almost all of them are ghostly like), and i have a lot of those everywhere on my pc, i also have folders that are named System volume information, Boot, Config, MSDOS some of them wont even open because it doesn't recognize the program but when i try to delete them i get this message MSDOS is a system file if you remove it your computer may no longer work correctly...so im scared to delete them

So i was wondering if there was a program that i could download to help me get rid of these files if they are not necessary

Sorry if it's all too confusing but im all confused myself :rolleyes:

~七laudia才

#4 Claudia

Claudia

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 02:34 AM

forgot to mention, also im running spyware s&d, spyware blaster and ie-spyad and everything seems to be up to date, im going to do an online virus scan to see if it comes up anything
~七laudia才

#5 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 03:23 AM

Hi Claudia,
I regularly use a program called EasyCleaner v.2, that contains a good dozen tools, including an excellent uneccessary file cleaner. If you are on XP, be advised EC2 considers system restore points as expandable; you might want to keep those.

Another great tool in there is the registry cleaner, very safe to use. There are other good tools, but one I wouldnt mess with is the duplicate file cleaner.
BTW, EC2 is freeware...
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#6 Claudia

Claudia

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 10:28 AM

Hey Doctor J,

thanks a lot about the info on the EC i'll be using that right now for sure, now about the registry cleaner, i posted a question about that on another forum i hope you can help me, i was downloading the Spyware Blaster from the MajorGeeks. com site and came across a registry cleaner program called Registry Mechanic, have you ever heard of that one?, if not could you please tell me wich one have you used, or the best one out there...

BTW what is the diference between freeware and shareware? or is it the same

Again thank you very much for taking the time to answer my post :D
~七laudia才

#7 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 10:57 AM

Hi again Claudia,
freeware=100% free program for as long as you have it.
shareware= $$$

RegistryMechanic has been around for quite a while, I beleive it to be thrustworthy, though I never tried it myself. I find them rather pushy for the sale, though.

I have also tried JV16 Powertool, but...it does not have as user friendly of an interface, it is a little hard to find in freeware, as they have done an odd job of putting a "timer" in it; most everyone who had it found it useless after Jan 1st 2004, as they directed you to a shareware version instead. The "old" freeware version can still be found, but I certainly would be careful using that one.

All registry tools balance between agressivness & safety; Registry work being not unlike brain surgery, safety should come first, imho. Thats why I prefer EC2 myself ! ;)
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button