• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
    • Budfred

PLEASE READ - Reversing upgrade   02/23/2017

We have found that this new upgrade is somewhat of a disaster.  We are finding lots of glitches in being able to post and administer the forum.  Additionally, there are new costs associated with the upgrade that we simply cannot afford.  As a result, we have decided to reverse course and go back to the previous version of our software.  Since this will involve restoring it from a backup, we will lose posts that have been added since January 30 or possibly even some before that.    If you started a topic during that time, we urge you to make backups of your posts and you will need to start the topics over again after the change.  You can simply paste the copies of your posts that you created at that point.    If you joined the forum this month, you will need to re-register since your membership will be lost along with the posts.  Since you have a concealed password, we cannot simply restore your membership for you.   We are going to backup as much as we can so that it will reduce inconvenience for our members.  Unfortunately we cannot back everything up since much will be incompatible with the old version of our software.  We apologize for the confusion and regret the need to do this even though it is not viable to continue with this version of the software.   We plan to begin the process tomorrow evening and, if it goes smoothly, we shouldn't be offline for very long.  However, since we have not done this before, we are not sure how smoothly it will go.  We ask your patience as we proceed.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
piercehan

Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk ... FOLDER FROM HELL!!!!

9 posts in this topic

Ok i am on a MacBook Pro with microsoft XP Pro. i downloaded a folder from DC++ and now it wont go away.

Basically no matter what I try all i get is "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

SOOOOOOOOOO I went into safe mode (restarting and pressing F8) still did not work. Then i went into DOS and typed "del C:\OSX-XP Files\Trash\The Sound Of Animals Fighting - Lover, The Lord Has Left Us..(Advance) - 2006\The Sound of Animals Fighting - Lover, The Lord Has Left Us.." I get the message back that says

"The system cannot find the path specified."

soooo now what? I am not a genius in computers but im not an idiot and no matter what i do it just wont go away. i tried the "moveonboot" app and that did nothing ... i asked around my campus and everyone gives me advice but nothing works. this is not the typical file where you can just go to "ctrl+alt+delete" close anything weird that might be using it and then delete it. i tried turning off explorer.exe ... this is just getting ridiculous ... please help me!!!!!!!!

Hey there piercehan, welcome to SWI Support Forums.

Edit: Sorry, I am not allowed to post here until my training has been completed, another advanced user will attend to your post ASAP.

Cool

Edited by spike_hacker_inc

piercehan

Locate the folder in Documents and settings->> Rt Click->>Properties.

In the bottom is the read only box have a green radio button or check?

If so Uncheck the read only box->> Apply->> Ok

Then see if you can delete it

bamajim

can someone please help me ... nothing has worked thus far!!!

I just went through your agony, and I finally solved my undeletable folder like this.

1. Go to Start_Run and type CMD in the box. Enter.
  2. Change directories to get to the parent folder of the renegade directory. (See the end of this msg for commands.)
  3. Display the contents of the directory with DOS 8.3 naming convention (short names).
  4. Find your bad directory and rename it to less than 8 letters. It is critical that you type the short file name when renaming. i.e., the Windows name is mybadfolder, but the 8.3 name will look like mybadf~1 or mybadf~2 ... use the short one. Rename it to anything you want as long as it is less than 8 letters.
  5. Close the Command Line Editor.
  6. Open Explorer and try to delete the folder you just renamed. Worked for me.

To Change Directories: Type cd.. to move up one level. Type cd yourfolder to move down one level within the directory you are currently in. Type cd\yourfolder\yourfolder\yourfolder to move to a specific folder within the drive you are currently in.

To display DOS 8.3 directory contents: Type dir /x /a

To rename a folder: Type ren currentfoldername newfoldername

Good Luck :D

Steve

I have this same problem, but it is a file, not a folder.

So I used the cmd dos method and have run into a problem. My file name has spaces in it, I'm not sure if this is the problem...

when I do the dir /x /a, I see the file ("HSHM Fac[1]. Meeting Oct.") and type ren HSHM Fac[1]. Meeting Oct. HSHMFA~1 and get the error "The syntax of the command is incorrect."

I'm guessing it's because of the spaces...any way to resolve this?

Thanks

[edit] was able to delete it with Unlocker anyways

Edited by MrToad87

when I do the dir /x /a, I see the file ("HSHM Fac[1]. Meeting Oct.") and type ren HSHM Fac[1]. Meeting Oct. HSHMFA~1 and get the error "The syntax of the command is incorrect."

I'm guessing it's because of the spaces...any way to resolve this?

The CMD editor was correct, the syntax was incorrect due to the spaces. :p What you should have seen in the editor was something similar to below when you typed the dir /x /a command:

(I created a file named the same as yours and added a txt extension).

05/12/2006 12:56 pm           128 HSHMFA~1.TXT HSHM Fac[1]. Meeting Oct.txt

See the item I highlighted in blue text? That's the correct file name to change. You used the long file name when you attempted to rename, whereas you should have used the HSHMFA~1.TXT short DOS 8.3 name. I believe I mentioned this as a CRITICAL step.

Your syntax should have been as follows:

ren HSHMFA~1.TXT HSHM.TXT

This would have probably resolved your issue, but I see you have already used a utility to get the job done. Glad to see it resolved in any case.

Peace...Out :D

Steve

Edited by ScarBoro55