• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 boblet

boblet

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:26 AM

Hi,

Has anybody come across products like Golden Records, Wavepad Sound Editor etc from an Australian company called NCH Swift Sound (http://nch.com.au). They have a big range of audio / voice related products, many of which are free or shareware.

Has anybody used or tested these products? Easy to use. Is it too good to be true? Have already installed and had no problems so far.

Thanks, Dave.

#2 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:43 PM

I had been there before, but its been a while so I went back and checked it out again. Turns out the reason I was there prior was a freeware signal generator that was apparently promptly rejected, since it no longer resides on my computer. This time though, I saw a freeware wav editor, which since i had seen your post, decided to try out.

The installation was pushy, by which I mean that it gave the user no chance to change its default install location (always a bad sign, IMO) and wanted to install some "optional" bundled "components." Turns out that this choice was genuine, for I saw no evidence of those unchosen components being installed.

At any rate, I finally got to launching the programme, loaded a sound file, and went to do a spectral analysis on it, and Windows (98) promptly crashed (probably an exception in DirectX, but the faulting component said kernel32 in the Crash Guard report). In any case this required a reboot, for the machine was trashed at this point.

Because of its rather shady installation, I decided to uninstall it manually, for the uninstaller appeared to be non-standard, and from experience I know that uninstalling an application through regular means is often a way that malwares are installed. This isn't to say that this was the case just that I took no chances.

So would i ever buy, install, or even go back to the site again? No.
Just one person's experience and point of view.... admittedly one who has no patience with or tolerance for crapware, whether it be malicious or just poorly written.
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#3 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:10 PM

Also should have added that it left a bunch of useless shell entries inthe registry that should be cleaned up after deletion.
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#4 boblet

boblet

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:38 AM

Sorry you had a bad experience looking at this for me but at least it doesn't appear to have any malicious content. I haven't had any problems with crashes (Win 2000) and the software seems to be easier to use and produce more reliable results than Audacity, which I had tried using. I like it & think I'll be sticking with it. I wouldn't mind paying for it but my firewall / browser settings prevent me getting to their payment page!

Many thanks,

Dave.

#5 Michael_Tsark

Michael_Tsark

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:02 AM

HOW TO UNINSTALL NCH SWIFT SWITCH, WAVEPAD, ETCETERA.

Hi,

Has anybody come across products from an Australian company called NCH Swift Sound (http://nch.com.au). They have a big range of audio / voice related products, many of which are free or shareware. Has anybody used or tested these products? Is it too good to be true? Have already installed and had no problems so far.

Thanks, Dave.

Hi, Dave, thanks for asking.

IT'S NOT SPYWARE BUT LOTS OF CRAPWARE AND DEFINITELY SCAM MENTALITY.

I tried nearly all the NCH Swift Sound products over a year ago but this time I just re-tested only a couple of them again and I still can't trust NCH Swift Sound products because first of all they add tons of crapware and then secondly they deliberately try to make it impossible to un-install any of their software products and the only way possible is to manually go through regedit and delete at least between a few dozen to several dozen or more registry entries one-by-one, one-at-a-time, in order to rid the pc of NCH Swift. All and any other attempts to use normal un-install procedures only results in automatically opening the program the person is trying to un-install in the first place. And their Swift forum support tech website still gives the same lying nonsense since 2004 which advises to use their un-install.exe when they know full well it won't work and never did work. Honest people would have fixed it by now and only people with scam mentality would induce crapware as well as try to make un-installing their software impossible for the novice as well as continue to give the same useless advice on their tech support forum after 4 years have already gone by.

Therefore, a word for the novice who wants to rid NCH Swift crapware out of the machine:

1) Warning: The easiest way to back up your registry first is via "System Restore" to create a backup first just incase you later make a mistake while editing the Registry. For another alternative to backing up the Registry just read on.

2) Click on "Start", then click on "Run", then type in "regedit" (with or without quotation marks) and click “OK” or press “Enter" and this will open the computer's Registry Editor so you can manually edit the Registry.

3) At this point if for any reason your System Restore isn't working properly you can still backup the registry by clicking on and highlighting “My Computer” which is located at the top of the left-side pane of the Registry Editor Window.

4) Next you can either right-click on the highlighted “My Computer” and then choose “Export” or you can click on the menu tab that says “File” to bring down a menu and then select and click on “Export” which will open the “Export Registry File Box”. It will then most likely automatically say “Save In: Documents” but down below you still need to choose and type in a “File Name” for example such as “my computer registry backup 2008-03-19”. Then click on “Save” and if later by chance you happen to make a mistake while editing the computer's registry you'll most likely be able go to your “My Documents Folder” and click on the backup file you saved which will then ask you "Yes or No" if you want to restore the registry.

5) After the Registry has been backed-up go back to the menu tabs again of the Registry Editor and this time click "Edit", then scroll down the edit menu and click on "Find..." which will open the FindBox. Type in "Swift" into the FindBox, then just below it put "ticks" next to where it says "Keys, Values, & Data", then click on where it says "Find Next". The Registry Editor will now start searching through the registry and will stop at entry files that have either a “Swift Folder” or “Swift Value Keys”. Right click on those registry files and choose delete.

6) After either the folder or the key values are deleted, go back up to the menu tab again and click on the “Edit Tab” again and this time scroll down to “Find Next” or “Find...” in order to continue searching through the registry for “Swift”.

7) Depending upon how many Swift crapware were installed, you might likely have to search further by the individual product name such as “Express Burn” or “WavePad”, etcetera, but make sure to go slow in order to make sure you're only deleting NCH Swift folders and/or NCH Swift key values and NOT something else that might happen to have a similar name belonging to a whole different product software. If in doubt then it's much safer and quite okay to just leave it alone and move on to search and delete the next “Swift” entry.

This time it took me less than an hour to edit the registry of NCH Swift crapware (this time only a total of 67 deletions including the Program Files and Start Menu folders) but the first time around a year ago it took hours upon hours to find and get rid of'em all because I had been foolish enough to install nearly all their stinking NCH Swift Sound products.

I've been using SourceForge.com freeware Audacity sound editor for at least several years now and still haven't found anything better. Although the Audacity versions 1.3.3 beta and 1.3.4 beta did/does have nice new features I found it slightly too unstable to my liking and so I still use version 1.3.2. which is a bit more stable and at least still has the auto-recovery feature incase of crashes. For me, the v1.3.2 only tends to crash whenever I've been using it a lot for a long time and then when I eventually try to use either the cross-fade-in, cross-fade-out, high-pass-filter, or low-pass-filter after a long time has passed by, that's when it may or may not crash but then I just quickly re-open it again and hit the recovery button and every thing's just fine again and without crashing. And whenever I happen to use the cross-fade-in, cross-fade-out, etcetera features soon after it's been open without waiting for a long time then it never crashes and works just fine upon using those features.

Psst, ...but if you happen to like fiddling with the darn Registry Editor then have I got the perfect software just for you, ...hey, come'ere, ...don't walk away it's all good crapware, I promise? :evilgrin:

Edited by Michael_Tsark, 19 March 2008 - 06:02 AM.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button