• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
    • Budfred

PLEASE READ - Reversing upgrade   02/23/2017

We have found that this new upgrade is somewhat of a disaster.  We are finding lots of glitches in being able to post and administer the forum.  Additionally, there are new costs associated with the upgrade that we simply cannot afford.  As a result, we have decided to reverse course and go back to the previous version of our software.  Since this will involve restoring it from a backup, we will lose posts that have been added since January 30 or possibly even some before that.    If you started a topic during that time, we urge you to make backups of your posts and you will need to start the topics over again after the change.  You can simply paste the copies of your posts that you created at that point.    If you joined the forum this month, you will need to re-register since your membership will be lost along with the posts.  Since you have a concealed password, we cannot simply restore your membership for you.   We are going to backup as much as we can so that it will reduce inconvenience for our members.  Unfortunately we cannot back everything up since much will be incompatible with the old version of our software.  We apologize for the confusion and regret the need to do this even though it is not viable to continue with this version of the software.   We plan to begin the process tomorrow evening and, if it goes smoothly, we shouldn't be offline for very long.  However, since we have not done this before, we are not sure how smoothly it will go.  We ask your patience as we proceed.   EDIT: I have asked our hosting service to do the restore at 9 PM Central time and it looks like it will go forward at that time.  Please prepare whatever you need to prepare so that we can restore your topics when the forum is stable again.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ribwich

I have a challenging problem

3 posts in this topic

Ok, i downloaded the coolwebsearch hijacker and got rid of it using spybot s&d and adaware. but changes were made to my registry that made the default homepage some sleazy search engine. so i went in the registry and deleted its traces. but then whenever i would type in a website in the address bar, it would require me to type in the http:// before every address. so i went back in the registry to change it to where i could simply type in websitename.com by replacing certain fields with "http://". These fields were search related and usually had "" as the entry.

Now whenever i click on any icon or run any program, it tries to open the program through ie which of course doesn't work. It launches a browser and has the file path in the address bar.

yes, i know you are thinking i am an idiot and i agree. i don't know what exact changes i made to my registry. but i've tried many fixes and none work. i can't open any program at all. i can't open any file at all. i tried to reload windows 98 by cd, and i can't run the program because it tries to open the program through ie. i booted in dos and ran scanreg/fix, and although it said it was successful it never fixed it. i tried loading up old saved registries but a system error occurs that prevents me from doing this. i tried yelling obscenities and punching inanimate objects, but that didn't work. i can run regedit through dos but don't know what to do/fix.

does anyone know how i can fix this, or if i should take my computer to get professional help, or whether i should just take the computer out with a baseball bat office-space-style? any help would most greatly be appreciated. - Chad.

Have you booted off the CD?

Put in your 98 boot floppy, then boot off that. Put the CD in the drive.

When it asks about starting the system, tell them you want to start setup from the CD-ROM.

Reinstalling Windows should do the trick, but you'll need to get _ALL_ the Critical Updates from MS again.

the problem is fixed.

tj - thanks for the help.

i didn't have the floppy tho. i decided to run every past version of the registries i had saved, and i actually found one that worked, the only one. so the problem is now fixed.

i still have the coolwebsearch hijacker, but at least the computer works. because as they say, premature ejaculation is better than impotence. i'll deal with the hijacker later.

i did learn an important lesson: DON'T FOCK WITH ANY PART OF THE REGISTRY THAT YOU'RE NOT 110% SURE ABOUT!!! I can't stress this enough kids.

peace everyone.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0