I have a challenging problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ribwich

ribwich

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 11:17 AM

Ok, i downloaded the coolwebsearch hijacker and got rid of it using spybot s&d and adaware. but changes were made to my registry that made the default homepage some sleazy search engine. so i went in the registry and deleted its traces. but then whenever i would type in a website in the address bar, it would require me to type in the http:// before every address. so i went back in the registry to change it to where i could simply type in websitename.com by replacing certain fields with "http://". These fields were search related and usually had "" as the entry.

Now whenever i click on any icon or run any program, it tries to open the program through ie which of course doesn't work. It launches a browser and has the file path in the address bar.

yes, i know you are thinking i am an idiot and i agree. i don't know what exact changes i made to my registry. but i've tried many fixes and none work. i can't open any program at all. i can't open any file at all. i tried to reload windows 98 by cd, and i can't run the program because it tries to open the program through ie. i booted in dos and ran scanreg/fix, and although it said it was successful it never fixed it. i tried loading up old saved registries but a system error occurs that prevents me from doing this. i tried yelling obscenities and punching inanimate objects, but that didn't work. i can run regedit through dos but don't know what to do/fix.

does anyone know how i can fix this, or if i should take my computer to get professional help, or whether i should just take the computer out with a baseball bat office-space-style? any help would most greatly be appreciated. - Chad.

#2 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 04:27 PM

Have you booted off the CD?

Put in your 98 boot floppy, then boot off that. Put the CD in the drive.

When it asks about starting the system, tell them you want to start setup from the CD-ROM.

Reinstalling Windows should do the trick, but you'll need to get _ALL_ the Critical Updates from MS again.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#3 ribwich

ribwich

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:48 AM

the problem is fixed.

tj - thanks for the help.

i didn't have the floppy tho. i decided to run every past version of the registries i had saved, and i actually found one that worked, the only one. so the problem is now fixed.

i still have the coolwebsearch hijacker, but at least the computer works. because as they say, premature ejaculation is better than impotence. i'll deal with the hijacker later.

i did learn an important lesson: DON'T FOCK WITH ANY PART OF THE REGISTRY THAT YOU'RE NOT 110% SURE ABOUT!!! I can't stress this enough kids.

peace everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button