Whats the worst you've cleaned?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Xena

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:47 PM

I'm only a trainee here, but in real life I've got hands on experience dealing with many infested computers. Most recently was yesterday when a friend asked me to have a look at his daughters computer. A fairly new Dell desktop - wouldn't boot even in safe mode. Gained access to the machine and holy moly, it was so bad that I couldn't even install any tools to fix it up so I had to remove what I could via the add/remove and manually delete folders that contained baddies. You name it this computer had it. Peper, CWS infection, newdotnet, clearsearch, whenusearch, gator, cydoor, vx2betterinternet, etc, etc. Once I could finally get some tools installed and cleaned it up, when all was said and done it totalled over a thousand pieces of spyware/malware/trojans! Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a hijackthis log of it when it was at it's worst because I couldn't get hijackthis installed and I even tried via a CD but that would freeze up until I had manually deleted most of the junk out. It took a total of 8 hours to clean this thing from start to finish, due to frequent freeze ups having to reboot and rerun tools over and over again, running full system virus scans twice, downloading windows critical updates, and everything else that goes with cleaning a gunked up system. What a mess.
Whats the worst mess you folks had have to clean hands on?

edit: oh and btw, I set them up good with spybot, spywareblaster, adaware, pestpatrol, spywsweeper, norton av 2004, sygate personal, mvp hosts file, iespyad, trojanhunter, cwshredder, and Mozilla FireFox, as well as downgrading the daughters user account to Limited since he had her set up with administrative rights which was the worst move ever.

Edited by Xena, 17 June 2004 - 08:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button