MYSTERIOUS VIRUS-EXPERIENCED USERS ONLY PLEASE

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 eth0rupt

eth0rupt

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 03:02 PM

hey there people, this question only pertains to experienced users who have dealt with virus related issues before. i am running winxp pro and have for the past week been trying to rid myself of a very mysterious virus. i will attempt to describe the symptoms of the virus as follows: the virus seems to load at startup and affects the memory because the screen image will freeze and i will have to refresh to get the updated screen image back. just before the screen freezes, there will be a yellow block (about 1 inch by 1 inch in size) with vertical lines through it that appears over (and follows) the cursor and can only be visible when the cursor is over a white background. i have already formatted and reinstalled xp, but this had no affect on the virus. i have performed full system scans using norton antivirus 2003 professional, avg virus scanner, and several online virus scanners, including trendmicro, and NONE of the above virus scanners detected ANY virus on my system. considering a format and reinstall did not kill this virus, i think it could be a boot sector virus (affecting the MBR). i attempted to overwrite the current bootsector using windows xp cd "fixboot c:" function as well as windows 98 startup disk "fdisk /mbr" function, but neither utilities have had any affect. any advise?

#2 Misereor

Misereor

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 02:01 AM

Actually it doesn't sounds like a virus.
More likely it is a hardware problem with your grfx card...

Ofcourse that doesn't prevent you from posting a HJT log. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button