Can't kill IEXPLORE.EXE

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 phikappa

phikappa

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 04:26 PM

Hey guys, I've been having this problem for a week or so and can't get it fixed. Please help if you can.

In Task Manager, IEXPLORE.EXE is running and can't be stopped. When I try to kill the process I get the "Access denied" error message. Also, Task Manager shows that another instance of IEXPLORE.EXE is attempting to run. So, I have two versions of IEXPLORE.EXE running, one with a constant PID, the other version has a constantly changing PID. Which leads me to believe that something like my pop-up blocker is constantly stopping the second version. :wtf: That's just a guess.

I've run SpyBot, AdAware SE, Spy Sweeper, McAfee and Housecall to name a few. No luck. I've run RegClean and Ace Utilities to clean the registry. No luck. I've run HijackThis and killed a few items, but everything looks pretty clean now. I've run Disk Cleaner and have deleted a bunch of temp files. No luck. I've tried booting in Safe Mode, but the problem still occurs in Safe Mode.

It's not really slowing down my machine, but it's a major annoyance. Anyone have any ideas on this? I'm at a total loss right now. I can post my HijackThis log if you like. I'm running Win2K SP4. Thanks.

Also, my browser hasn't been hijacked. I still have the same home page and bogus URL's are directed to Google (which is desired).

Edited by phikappa, 10 July 2006 - 05:14 PM.

#2 phikappa

phikappa

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:34 AM

So, I've done some more experimenting and it goes like this...

I renamed IEXPLORE.EXE to IEXPLOR_.EXE. This fixed the issue of the second version of IE attempting to run. However, IEXPLORE.EXE is still a running process in Task Manager which can't be killed. When I open IE, I get a message that it's going to run in "compatibility mode". I click "OK" and everything runs like normal.

This seems like a hokey solution. Do you think I should re-install IE6? Does this sound like malware?

#3 SWI Support Robot

SWI Support Robot

Helper robot

• SWI Bot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,484 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:49 PM

Please post your link in Not getting help with your log? if you have had no help after waiting 3 days or more.
This is an automated message. It does not count as help.

#4 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,406 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:29 PM

Hi phikappa, and Welcome to SWI

Sorry it has taken so long to get to you, but the board has been very busy lately, and all the Helpers here are volunteers.

Please do this.
Download 'Hijack This!'. http://www.spywarein.../HijackThis.exe
Save it in a convenient permanent folder such as C:\HJT\, double click HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log, Ctrl-A to Select All, and copy its contents here.
Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#5 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,406 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:03 PM

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please tell the moderating team by replying here with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button