Ya know there is only one way to ever end this

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zach

Zach

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:31 AM

The people that do this for are in it for the money, oh I am sure some get their kicks and such - but its $$.

I just happened to notice an old nCase folder in one of my drives, and I opened it up, saw a decent sized .dat file, and opened - was urlencoded, cleaned it up - removed the remaining junk - and sitting here looking at a list of basically all their customers and keywords - kind of dumb to just install that, but I guess they dont care.

I started reading through the urls

.1800flowers.com
.aircanada.com
.airfrance.com
.amazon.co.uk
.amazon.com/
.amazon.de
.apple.com
.americanair.com
.apple.fr
.arizonalottery.com
.automotive.com
.art.com
.avis.com
.avis.de
.avis.co.uk
.avon.com
.baby.com
.bankofamerica.com
.bestbuy.com
.betcris.com
.blockbuster.com/
.businessweek.com
.bmw.com
.buy.com
.car.com
.century21.com
.cfs.purdue.edu/rhit/
.eflowers.com
.ensim.com
.columbiahouse.com
.era.com
.espanol.sports.yahoo.com
.espn.com
.es.ebay.com
.etoys.com
.etrade.com

some of these I am sure are more or less affiliate programs and such, but who knows. The fact is that these companies are allowing it by not being procative in stopping it.

The only way to slow this down, as its leaving the pain in the ass stage like the first time I got lop a while back to freaking insane - I was on dynamicdrive.com and it was trying to install spyware on me earlier today.

Three hours ago, on just one of the domain accounts I have on my server I put in a little bad bot file, basically just a file that records, and locks out any IP address that hits a file that is is linked in a hidden division, so no human can see it or even accidently click it - and then block access to it in the Robots.txt file - three hours ago, more than 20 rouge bots nailed.

Thats well, nuts

Only one account, and nowhere near my big one, thats just one of my partners project, my site gets 1000x the traffic.

Ok - my point here is this - the only way to stop em, is to find enough people willing to boycot the advertisers - it wont stop the scum from advertising with the scum, but it sure would take enough money out of the equation to start knocking it down and hopefully in time get it so all thats left is the scum advertsing the scum and the ones doing it for kicks.

What I think is needed is a central database that lists the following contributors to what is becoming an epidemic online.

1) First of course the makers of the hijackware
2) Companies that pay to be advertised on hijackware/spyware/whatever
3) Companies/websites that attempt to install hijackware on your system
4) Software products that come prepackages with hijackware
5) Companies that contribute as an innocent third party by doing business in anyway with the above four groups.

If there is any interest I can set up the system to handle the data, but then anything that comes in would in my opinion have to be verified, then put in the database, and that would take the help of others and then its just a matter of seeing if it anyone else actually cares enough to let a companies involvement in hijackware influence where they spend their $$$$$$$.

Another way it such a project could do great help in slowing this down is in regards to affiliates using hijackware against the wishes of the parent company. For instance I found an affiliate (or I am going to guess it was, didnt research it anymore than to see the url that ended in /nytimes.html) of the NY Times- I am gonna believe they would not be for that sort of behavior from their affiliates, and would like to believe they would shut them off from receiving any money instantly. Such a list as this would assist those companies in being able to locate bad affiliates much easier than they could before.

Well thats all I got, if there is any interest, or any thought that such an idea could do some good, I will proceed from that point.

#2 matt1330

matt1330

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:30 AM

Hmmm. Nice idea. You'd have to very diligent in the verification. If the list got a lot of attention, naturally everyone would want to start submitting their competition.

#3 Zach

Zach

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 05:00 PM

Hmmm. Nice idea. You'd have to very diligent in the verification. If the list got a lot of attention, naturally everyone would want to start submitting their competition.

Yes - I agree, it would have to be strongly documented and maybe even notification to the company first to see if they would just stop before hand.

Verification, 0 mistakes, would be the key to such a project having any respectability.

Oh, and the nytimes I mentioned above, I already received an email back this morning, basically just thanking me for the info - short, but worded in such a way as I could tell that it was not something they would tolerate and it was being taken care of on their end. I huge dent could be made just by letting the company know the actions of their affiliates - no matter how hard they try, nobody can police their affiliates everywhere all the time. Not to mention that I am sure they do something about it when its in front of them, but out of sight, out of mind type deal.

#4 ndndixie

ndndixie

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:53 AM

Zach I'm with ya.I'll be glad to help with the website, no problems getting donations to help it run. I run a football fans fourm along with several other sites including my web design business. If we hit them where their money flows and they'll soon get the message that we're sick of this. I think it can work if as was stated, it's diligently controlled and maintained. We have to be careful with our working to prevent lawsuits but I'm sure someone would help with that as well.

#5 Zach

Zach

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:19 PM

Zach I'm with ya.I'll be glad to help with the website, no problems getting donations to help it run. I run a football fans fourm along with several other sites including my web design business. If we hit them where their money flows and they'll soon get the message that we're sick of this. I think it can work if as was stated, it's diligently controlled and maintained. We have to be careful with our working to prevent lawsuits but I'm sure someone would help with that as well.

You know - I could have started this with, I run a football fans forum along with other websites :)

You got Mail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button