anti-virus software

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 talubuka

talubuka

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 08:01 AM

I'm unhappy with my norton anti-virus software. I was wondering what would be the best anti-virus software to buy? What's recomended?

#2 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 08:28 AM

NOD32 & Kaspersky are highly regarded as best in the field . . .
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#3 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 01:03 PM

Also if you'd like a free solution, there are some nice ones in my signature. :)

R. (another unhappy ex-user of Norton) :wave:
I am the iron anchor.

#4 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 01:00 PM

The free anti-viruses are ok, but i would use more than one of them. You could use either AVG or Avast! as your primary and Antivir or another as your secondary. Just make sure you don't ever run them together and shut down all scanners in your secondary anti-virus. Run your secondary as an on-demand scanner only. Also you could do online scans for another opinion.

#5 Rogue298

Rogue298

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 02:20 PM

Also if you'd like a free solution, there are some nice ones in my signature. :)

R. (another unhappy ex-user of Norton) :wave:

rosso, which of the 3 programs in your sig do you recommend? Out of the 3, which do you consider to be the best? I use Norton's now (2004), but if there's something better out there, I'd rather use that.

#6 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 07:38 PM

Hi Rogue298 :)

I'm using AVG on my XP computer and Avast on my 98 SE one. They're both doing fine - Avast is quite more aggressive with viruses and a bit more heavy on resources, but I'm not using the machine that runs it for anything very substantial so that's not really a problem.

In my opinion AntiVir is the most powerful of all, but somewhat heavyweight and inflexible. Avast comes next (much user-friendlier and more configurable and has a pretty jazzy interface as well, with skins you can change) with AVG close behind (BUT AVG is a lot lighter on resources and less likely to crash, cause problems or conflict with anything).

My sister is using AntiVir on XP so I've seen this one in action too. :p If you want to combine efficiency with user-friendliness I'd recommend Avast. On the other hand, if, like me, you'd prefer something lightweight and basically efficient and don't usually visit "dangerous" places on the 'net, AVG would do just fine. I wouldn't change either of them for the world, especially after the bitter disappointment Norton has been - I've complained enough about it on the old forum and whenever I'm given the chance, so I'd better not get started on a rant again. LOL

Best,
R. :wave:
I am the iron anchor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button