• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
    • Budfred

PLEASE READ - Reversing upgrade   02/23/2017

We have found that this new upgrade is somewhat of a disaster.  We are finding lots of glitches in being able to post and administer the forum.  Additionally, there are new costs associated with the upgrade that we simply cannot afford.  As a result, we have decided to reverse course and go back to the previous version of our software.  Since this will involve restoring it from a backup, we will lose posts that have been added since January 30 or possibly even some before that.    If you started a topic during that time, we urge you to make backups of your posts and you will need to start the topics over again after the change.  You can simply paste the copies of your posts that you created at that point.    If you joined the forum this month, you will need to re-register since your membership will be lost along with the posts.  Since you have a concealed password, we cannot simply restore your membership for you.   We are going to backup as much as we can so that it will reduce inconvenience for our members.  Unfortunately we cannot back everything up since much will be incompatible with the old version of our software.  We apologize for the confusion and regret the need to do this even though it is not viable to continue with this version of the software.   We plan to begin the process tomorrow evening and, if it goes smoothly, we shouldn't be offline for very long.  However, since we have not done this before, we are not sure how smoothly it will go.  We ask your patience as we proceed.   EDIT: I have asked our hosting service to do the restore at 9 PM Central time and it looks like it will go forward at that time.  Please prepare whatever you need to prepare so that we can restore your topics when the forum is stable again.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mjp65aa

advice from a dummy

3 posts in this topic

I found this board because I had a parasite change the home page on my puter to http://s1di.ewizard.cc/ , but showed about:blank in options.

Most of my friends think i a smart puter techie because i can help them with simple problems. This is not realy true, I just know a little more than them.

I know enough that I run Norton 2004 pro, Adawre, and Spybot S&D regularly and as needed. However, this problem was beyond my (lowly) ability to remove malware. I read a thread about another person who had the same problem and seen advice to try CWshredder (was on a different board). So I figured I try it. The program identified a possible problem file and asked me if it was ok to delete that file. I knew I was chancing causing more problems, but i said sure, go head. Needlesstosay, my puter stopped working as it should. So, I restored to original purchase condition with the restore CDs.

Of course this fixed the about:blank problem, but my puter is running much faster than before -- than even before the parasite problem. Because I never installed anything I didnt know, I scanned, I cleaned and deleted regualrly, I ran defrag, and preformed other maintenance I thought the effects of restoring on puter performance would be negligible. I was wrong. Because my history with PCs includes extensive printing work, I have a good habbit of backing up anything I might need. So, that was not a big issue. A inexpensive RW DVD CD drive makes this even easier.

The whole point to this post is to say that sometimes restoring is a good idea and the best solution to a problem. This is even more true for people who are not experts in reading logs and knowing what should be there and what should not be there. My puter is only about 6 months old and it was fast even with the parasite. However, I think there were many small factors that added up to cause my system to lag, but yet since they slowly built up, I didnt notice the effects until it was removed. Obviously, removal is the better solution in most situtations. However, for those of us who build up clutter, restoring occassionally might be a good part of our maintenance routines.

BTW: this board is a great resource. Thank you for providing it.

hello

all clutter can be cleaned. in xp unlike its forerunners. you should be able to fix nearly any thing under most circumstances with out reinstalling format route.

i don,t believe format first is an option.(only an absolute last resort) and i should have a totally dead computer from clutter by your theory.

the klez nailed me a year ago .and had ghost back up.same installs still going got 300 programs added to it. i purposely ry for clutter just to see if i could come up with something i can,t fix. as i said i use norton ghost to a separate drive. so i get really brave in the things i do to abuse a system. but clutter can be cleaned. alot of supposed dead none booting systems can be started. just a matter of learning how.

in win 98-m.e a yearly reinstall dose wonders.

have a nice day

Edited by wawadave

I sure you are right, but since i am not good enough to clean up the messes, even though I do have XP, the restore works. I got my parasite Friday, worked all night, all day Saturday, and Sunday decided to clean house. It took me 30 or 40 min to get my system installed with all the programs and ugrade i wanted.

In time, i'll be able to fix more with out resorting to this, and much of that learning will be done on board like this and simular ones, but for now... :cool:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0