AdAware Vs Spybot???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mack

Mack

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 01:45 AM

I've been using Spybot for about a year and it has worked reasonably well (a few things get past it) but this week it really let me down. I somehow got the About:Blank hijack problem with CWS Searchx, plus something screwed up my shortcuts to Notepad. I ran the latest version of Spybot (03-04-04) and it said my system was clean. After trying for hours to fix the problem, I downloaded AdAware with latest update and ran it. AdAware found a slug of problems in my Files and Registry. So anyway, here are my questions.

1. Why didn't Spybot find anything?
2. Is AdAware that much better or is it just a different type of program?
3. Will it hurt to run both programs on my computer?

I am currently running Win XP Home with Norton AV, Spybot, WinXP Firewall and D-Link Firewall.

Thanks for the advice. Mack

#2 mitch

mitch

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 02:10 AM

hi Mack
i usually see this post a little differenty :D

i would say BOTH are great programs and you can have both on your system!

they are not identical programs and one might miss something , but usually the other one will catch it !

but i will not get into a contest of who is better, they are both great solid products with excellent support !

#3 angoid

angoid

Cyberdefenestrator

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 02:31 AM

Hi Mack,

It sounds as if you've been hit by one of the newer CoolWebSearch trojans there.

Both Spybot S&d and Ad-Aware are excellent free programs, and I also use both. However, the CoolWebSearch trojan mutates so frequently that it is very difficult to keep up with the latest versions.

Because the two are developed and maintained independently of each other, you typically find that they 'leap frog' each other in terms of the most up-to-date definitions.

They can co-exist quite happily together on the same box; I (and many others here) use both.

Beacause of the problem with fast-developing new malware, you'll see people posting logs from HijackThis into the malware support forums asking to be cleaned up from something they were unable to get rid of themselves. There are other tools we use to identify and get rid of these newer ones.

By the way, if you're using Spybot S&D version 1.2, then please consider updating to Version 1.3 as it's faster and offers more protection.

If you're experiencing a proble, please start a thread in the malware support section and we'll help you get clear.

Hope this helps!
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.

#4 Rogue298

Rogue298

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 04:30 AM

I have to agree, both are wonderful programs, and I use both. I wouldn't consider one better than the other

#5 Mack

Mack

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 12:39 AM

Thanks for the great info all. I didn't know there was a new version of spybot. I'm still running 1.2 and didn't even know there was a new version out. Thanks again. Mac

#6 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:02 AM

One last note on Spybot 1.2: It was not updated since early March '04, and in fact it cannot be updated so it is obsolete! Everyone must update to version 1.3 if you want to keep up with the latest spyware.

Posted Image
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight -- it's the size of the fight in the dog."

#7 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 11:31 AM

Spybot 1.3: http://www.spybot.us/spybotsd13.exe :cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button